The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018 NHL Entry Draft

Zfetch

2 hours ago, alfstonker said:

We can see only 6 of those mentioned were even in the top 10 and only 2 of those would likely be thought of as elite/generational prior to playing in the NHL. Also did you know Drew Doughty was drafted as a center or that Guddy was drafted 3rd o/a.

You have totally proved my point.

Doughty was not drafted as a center. I don’t know where you’re getting that from. 

You’re missing his point that every team needs an elite defense. If you can find one in the second round that’s awesome, but very few luck out like that. So if you can guarantee and land a home run like dahlin with the first overall. You do it. 

You asked me and I gave you "what world" We have already a couple of players who might equal Letang.

I must have missed that. Who do we have that can equal Letang. I’m in need of a laugh this morning. 

My opinion/point was I preferred to get an elite forward who might even prove to be a generational talent because you can win without a generational D but also don't necessarily win with one. ( see Ottowa )

You point is easily debunked though because you don’t necessarily win with an elite forward either (see islanders, oilers)

I would easily take Dahlin over Svech with the top pick. Let's say Zadina goes 2, and we pick 3... I'm not saying I wouldn't consider picking Boqvist over Svech but that would be a hard decision. Svech can do it all and is a franchise player for any team but Boqvist also has that high ceiling that we need on our back end. Atleast we don't worry about picking 4 or 5 this year. What a relief. 

1 minute ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

I would easily take Dahlin over Svech with the top pick. Let's say Zadina goes 2, and we pick 3... I'm not saying I wouldn't consider picking Boqvist over Svech but that would be a hard decision. Svech can do it all and is a franchise player for any team but Boqvist also has that high ceiling that we need on our back end. Atleast we don't worry about picking 4 or 5 this year. What a relief. 

Svechnikov's potential is absolutely insane. He's almost as good as Matthews was at the same age. If it weren't for Dahlin, he'd be the unanimous 1st overall pick. He turned 18 exactly 1 month ago.

Every single league he's been in, every notable tournament, Svechnikov has dominated. He has nothing left to prove but in the NHL, bearing any injury, he's in the NHL next season. No offense, but it'd be ridiculous to draft Boqvist over Svechnikov.

But if it was Zadina on the other hand, then I would agree.

28 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Svechnikov's potential is absolutely insane. He's almost as good as Matthews was at the same age. If it weren't for Dahlin, he'd be the unanimous 1st overall pick. He turned 18 exactly 1 month ago.

Every single league he's been in, every notable tournament, Svechnikov has dominated. He has nothing left to prove but in the NHL, bearing any injury, he's in the NHL next season. No offense, but it'd be ridiculous to draft Boqvist over Svechnikov.

But if it was Zadina on the other hand, then I would agree.

Zadina is a beast though, id have a hard time passing on him. Especially if drafting Zadina meant we could trade other players (or Zadina) for a young NHL calibre top defensemen. Egif we pick 3rd and Zadina is on the board and we trade the pick for a werenski or krug or something? I dunno though, some pieces would have to be added to either side to even it out

59 minutes ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

I would not take anyone at three over Svechnikov!  That’s insane. If that was even a remote thought in JB’s head, trade down for God’s sake.  

There is enough d men ranked in the top 15 of the draft and you could make a case for many of them to be behind Dahlin in ability. 

Svechnikov is heads and shoulders above any of them. The only toss up is whether Zadina is ahead of him or not. 

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

It's already a farce, and letting us send our mascot would only exacerbate that idea to the public. Glad to know our management group thinks the whole thing is a joke too. Just let us know where we pick. No need to have a hour long special about the lottery where we don't even get to see the process.

Didn't last year they just bring out the results from behind a closed door and in a briefcase, that was stupid

10 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/draft-lottery-win-vancouver-canucks/

. "And I couldn’t agree with them more. We tried to send Finn (the team mascot) but Bill Daly and Gary Bettman weren’t too receptive to that idea so Jim’s going to go and represent us.”

just for laughs.

apparently they did want to send fin to the lottery and of coooooourse bettman is being a douchebag about it.  

Maybe Benning should show up in Fin's costume :)

24 minutes ago, Sugar baby watermelon said:

Someones 1st response to this - Doesn't this lend credence to the thought that the draft is rigged?  If the three bottom teams stay in their spot there's no suspense.  To me, this guarantees that some will move up for tv ratings and that it's rigged.

Pretty much guaranteed there will be movement anyway, rigged or not.

It’s been a while since I took a stats class, but I think the chance of the bottom three remaining in their current order (Buffalo 1, Ottawa 2, Arizona 3) is only around 0.27%.

Also, even if picks 4-15 are announced in their current order, I believe there would still be 6 different possibilities for how the top three could actually shake out.

42 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

http://lastwordonhockey.com/2018/04/06/evan-bouchard-scouting-report-2018-nhl-draft/

http://lastwordonhockey.com/2018/03/31/adam-boqvist-scouting-report-2018-nhl-draft/

http://lastwordonhockey.com/2018/04/02/quinn-hughes-scouting-report-2018-nhl-draft-6/

http://lastwordonhockey.com/2018/04/03/noah-dobson-scouting-report-2018-nhl-draft-7/

Not that ^ this is the word of Odin, but if you look at the ‘Projections’ summary, it would rank:

Boqvist - franchise Dman, young, young, young.

Dobson - #1 Dman, still growing and learning.

Hughs - elite offensive Dman, size and battle concerns.

Bouchard - #1-4Dman, slow, D-game is suspect despite size. 

How often do you hear the word franchise used to describe a smallish, offensive Dman at the draft? 

My only regret about this draft will be JB not finding ways to collect one more of these top 10-20 picks. What a year to stockpile Dmen. 

Y'all should have a look at these write ups ^^^^ Pretty good summary of what some of us have been saying about Bouchard vs the other D. He's got a good floor and likely to be a solid NHL'er but he's far from the highest ceiling in the draft of the top D.

10 hours ago, Blömqvist said:

I'm still liking Bouchard over Dobson and Smith. I'm fairly confident that Bouchard's floor is a second pairing defenseman (#3D) who can log a ton of minutes and be dynamite offensively, especially on the powerplay. Dobson and Smith might be top-4 guys but I don't think their offense will be as high as Bouchard at the next level. 

For defense, I have:

1. Dahlin

2. Boqvist

3. Hughes

4. Bouchard

5. Dobson

6. Smith

48 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

F'n pricks are just milking it now :lol:

4 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Wait a minute, you are strawmanning now. How many of these D's were recognised as "elite" in the draft?  In your order. 55 - 54/14 - 2 - 56 - 53 - 2 - 3 - Undrafted - 8 - 85/7 - 9

So you can see I am not saying we shouldn't draft a potentially top D just because I don't want Dahlin I am saying I want Svechnikov more

We can see only 6 of those mentioned were even in the top 10 and only 2 of those would likely be thought of as elite/generational prior to playing in the NHL. Also did you know Drew Doughty was drafted as a center or that Guddy was drafted 3rd o/a.

You have totally proved my point.

You asked me and I gave you "what world" We have already a couple of players who might equal Letang. We also with the addition of Svechnikov to Boeser, Bo, and maybe Pettersson could have the fire power we need.

You unfairly mocked my opinion and I produced an example of a team who has recently won two SCs without a generational D or in fact without a D from the top 10 draft positions. Their top D was drafted 55th  - so quit while you are ahead.

My opinion/point was I preferred to get an elite forward who might even prove to be a generational talent because you can win without a generational D but also don't necessarily win with one. ( see Ottowa )

Drew Doughty wasn't drafted as a centre. 

6 minutes ago, Sugar baby watermelon said:

Within the top 10 who is the biggest riser and the biggest faller?  Everyone knows Hughes might be a faller, but what about Tkachuk out of the top 5?  Not sure about risers, maybe Ty Smith.

This is my favourite part of the rebuild process; tracking the hype and the bombing of ‘projections’. 

Archived