The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018 NHL Entry Draft

Zfetch

10 minutes ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

This would be awesome but don't think there's even the slightest chance it happens..

That said i think the Canucks are looking at who's left between Hughes, Dobson or Smith at 9.

Well, depends on how you look at 7.5% ... :P

25 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

The simple answer is that European players from IIHF member leagues have their Europeam contracts terminated when they sign their entry level contracts with their draft teams.

Draft rights are 4 years on European players.

Interestingly, it was the European leagues that lobbied for longer draft rights on their players. They see this as encouraging NHL clubs to leave their prospects to develop longer in the European system. Which seems to happen more these days.

There seems to be a little bit of a complication with whether the player signs his European contract before or after he’s drafted. In cases where a drafted player is already licensed to a European club, there seems to be windows when the NHL teams can sign their player. If they miss the window, they can pay a penalty to extend it. If they miss the last window (late in the summer), that player becomes committed to the European club’s roster for the season, and has to wait until the next offseason.

An example would be the Devils and Zacha. Here’s a link to the story on how that all worked out: LINK

From doing a little research, it’s my understanding that if a player signs his European contract after he’s drafted, the NHL club will demand that a termination clause is written into the deal. It’s a little murky but I believe this means that the NHL club can sign that player any time while under their draft rights and the European contract just terminated automatically, regardless of whether they’re in a signing window.

In all cases, the transfer fees are set by the transfer agreement. The teams that held licenses on the European player during his development split the transfer fee. The transfer fee gets paid out even if the player isn’t currently under contract when he signs his ELC (so long as he was under a European contract when he was drafted). Transfer fees are $240K on the first 10 players from each league and then $325K for each player starting at number 11 transferred that season (this resets every year).

None of this is “gospel” but it’s my best understanding of how it works from what I’ve gathered from various sources on these matters.

So does this mean if Dahlin really wanted to play with us (Pettersson) he could just wait four years after his draft, and then sign with us as a UFA?  I'm okay with that!!!!

5 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I hope Bob’s rankings hold true. I’d be very happy if Hughes was still on the board for us (if we were to pick as late as #9). In my mind, that has the potential to be a steal on a similar level to Pettersson at #5 last year. But then I’m pretty high on Hughes (and I understand others don’t necessarily agree).

I agree although if I’m not mistaken bob doesn’t release his actual standings till mid June after he’s conducted all his team research. 

6 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I hope Bob’s rankings hold true. I’d be very happy if Hughes was still on the board for us (if we were to pick as late as #9). In my mind, that has the potential to be a steal on a similar level to Pettersson at #5 last year. But then I’m pretty high on Hughes (and I understand others don’t necessarily agree).

Yeah if Boqvist, Hughes and Dobson are all still around 6-9 and we're picking anywhere in there... :towel:

10 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

We're likely picking Boqvist, Wahlstrom, Dobson or Hughes? yes please. Good news all around on that front. 

If we're fortunate enough for 2 I can't see Jim picking Tkachuck, but maybe if we get #3 he might if its a choice between Svechnikov or Tkachuk. 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

So does this mean if Dahlin really wanted to play with us (Pettersson) he could just wait four years after his draft, and then sign with us as a UFA?  I'm okay with that!!!!

Haha, yes I suppose. He definitely has the right to hold out and not sign an ELC. Of course, he’d be giving up 4 years of NHL salary, but hey, if he really loves us, it’s a small sacrifice. ;) 

Probably his rights would get traded long before that happened though.

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

We're likely picking Boqvist, Wahlstrom, Dobson or Hughes? yes please. Good news all around on that front. 

If we're fortunate enough for top 2 I can't see Jim picking Tkachuck, but maybe if we get #3 he might if its a choice between Svechnikov or Tkachuk. 

1-Dahlin

2-Svech

3-Any of Zadina/Tkachuck/Boqvist IMO

I have a gut feeling we end up taking Dobson in the 7 spot, with Bouchard and Boqvist already off the board. He fits our needs to a tee and can be argued as BPA at that spot. I like Hughes a lot as well but the size worries me a bit and he is a LD instead of RD, which i think will be the deciding factor. 

5 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Haha, yes I suppose. He definitely has the right to hold out and not sign an ELC. Of course, he’d be giving up 4 years of NHL salary, but hey, if he really loves us, it’s a small sacrifice. ;) 

Probably his rights would get traded long before that happened though.

Traded to us for our 2020 first and second?  I'd do that!!!!!!  Get 'er done Jimmy Boy!!!!!  :towel:

35 minutes ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

This would be awesome but don't think there's even the slightest chance it happens..

That said i think the Canucks are looking at who's left between Hughes, Dobson or Smith at 9.

Actually there's a 7.5% chance of it happening ^_^ There's a higher chance that we win 1st overall than it is to drop to 9th.

1 hour ago, captainhorvat said:

Dahlin needs to tell the organizations hes interviewed by that he will only play for canucks and will not report if they draft him.

the old reverse-Lindros, not to be confused with the reverse-elbow-Lindros which Stevens mastered

22 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I also hope Bob's rankings hold true too. However, more so because if we are 6th or 7th, I'd take Boqvist if he were still available. If we did drop to 9th and Hughes was available still, then definitely.

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Traded to us for our 2020 first and second?  I'd do that!!!!!!  Get 'er done Jimmy Boy!!!!!  :towel:

Well, we’ll know on draft day. Assuming we don’t win first overall, we’ll just have to see what Dahlin does.

If he’s really committed to Vancouver, he’ll go Lindros style and refuse to wear his draft team’s jersey.

If he really loves us, he’ll throw the draft team’s jersey on the floor and rip open his shirt superman style to reveal he’s wearing Canucks tshirt under his draft suit. :lol:

14 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

It amuses me how Bouchard is so polarizing despite being one of the safest picks in the draft :lol:

Sure bet, steady top 4 D who can also run a top PP. We can use an extra 20 points a year from our PP! Bouchard will be a very useful pick! A RHD to boot. I wont be disappointed if he's who we pick.

He's just not the elite PMD? There are going to be guys this draft who can get out and push the pace, push the puck up ice, beat their man with the puck. Create opportunities up close instead of from the point. An extra 4 or 5 shots a game 5 on 5? An extra 4 or 6 transition possessions a game. If you are building a speed and skill team that PMD can be more valuable. I am hoping we are building a speed and skill team???

2 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Well, we’ll know on draft day. Assuming we don’t win first overall, we’ll just have to see what Dahlin does.

If he’s really committed to Vancouver, he’ll go Lindros style and refuse to wear his draft team’s jersey.

If he really loves us, he’ll throw the draft team’s jersey on the floor and rip open his shirt superman style to reveal he’s wearing Canucks tshirt under his draft suit. :lol:

this is personally what my money's on.

2 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

He's just not the elite PMD? There are going to be guys this draft who can get out and push the pace, push the puck up ice, beat their man with the puck. Create opportunities up close instead of from the point. An extra 4 or 5 shots a game 5 on 5? An extra 4 or 6 transition possessions a game. If you are building a speed and skill team that PMD can be more valuable. I am hoping we are building a speed and skill team???

I think that still remains to be seen as he is one of the best passers in the draft. If he improves his skating, then I can total see him as an elite PMD who can run the powerplay. 

28 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't expect us to ever get 1st oa so anywhere 2-9 we fill a need. But yah young Boqvist would do nicely. 

I've warmed to Boquist a lot once learning he's so much younger than most of his draft class.  His ceiling might be something special.

Archived