The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Matt Brassard | D

Tomato Pajamas

Are we required to sign Brassard this summer or do we have until next year.

From what I'm hearing / seeing, I think we should probably sign him when his season completes. I think he's worth giving a shot to develop in Utica for a year or two.

31 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Are we required to sign Brassard this summer or do we have until next year.

From what I'm hearing / seeing, I think we should probably sign him when his season completes. I think he's worth giving a shot to develop in Utica for a year or two.

Might be an awesome partner for Brisebois in a couple years.  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, TGT68 said:

Might be an awesome partner for Brisebois in a couple years.  

Could be. Benning is really incredible at finding guys past the 3rd round in the draft who have potential.

Things will start looking up as the kids he's drafting start making it into the NHL.

• Upvote 1

I think he has the tools to succeed as a D man at the pro level. Size, good shot, and good skating, his hands aren't bad either. 

If he can gain a step and adjust to the pro game on a thinking level he should be fine skill wise.

Look forward to seeing him get a chance next year in Utica hopefully. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Derp... said:

I think he has the tools to succeed as a D man at the pro level. Size, good shot, and good skating, his hands aren't bad either. 

If he can gain a step and adjust to the pro game on a thinking level he should be fine skill wise.

Look forward to seeing him get a chance next year in Utica hopefully. 

This was Carl Neill 2016/17 67 games 13 goals 56 assists 69 points.  We did not sign him, this year doing well in college hockey - apparently, the main issue was his skating.  The question mark with Brassard is that he too is ‘heavy footed’.  We shall see.

2016-17 Sherbrooke Phoenix QMJHL 36 10 36 46 34 2 -- -- -- -- --
2016-17 Charlottetown Islanders QMJHL 31 3 20 23 12 19 13 2 9 11 10
2017-18 Concordia University OUAA 28 5 26 31 10 0        

31 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

This was Carl Neill 2016/17 67 games 13 goals 56 assists 69 points.  We did not sign him, this year doing well in college hockey - apparently, the main issue was his skating.  The question mark with Brassard is that he too is ‘heavy footed’.  We shall see.

2016-17 Sherbrooke Phoenix QMJHL 36 10 36 46 34 2 -- -- -- -- --
2016-17 Charlottetown Islanders QMJHL 31 3 20 23 12 19 13 2 9 11 10
2017-18 Concordia University OUAA 28 5 26 31 10 0        

I actually leaned more toward signing Neill and he was IMO an inferior prospect to Brassard. 

First off, scoring Ds in the Q just don’t project nearly as favourably as those from the OHL. You’ll see this going back through old Canucks Army stats pieces where Neill’s PCS/pGPS peaked at around 10% and dropped to 0% (no statistical matches went on to play 200 NHL games) by the time we parted ways with him.

Brassard IIRC is running at around 20% (as far as what the models say his chances are of becoming a 200 game NHL player), for what it’s worth.

Secondly, stats aside, Brassard’s warts don’t concern me as much as Neill’s did. His skating certainly doesn’t bother me quite the same way as Neill’s. Neill really looked at times like he was skating in molasses. I just re-watched some of his video and came away with the same impression (although I suppose confirmation bias could be a factor here). He wasn’t horribly slow but he just looked like he was dragging something. Brassard can have “heavy feet” but he moves fairly well nonetheless and he just has more “glide” to his movements (if that makes sense). He also just buzzes around the zone more while Neill (at least from the game video I’ve watched) always played a bit too static to my eyes. I also know people questioned Neill’s effort at times, especially in his own zone. I really don’t get that same sense from Brassard, who seems very engaged. Both have been accused of making questionable reads at times, although that’s kind of expected from junior aged Ds, the question is how much they can clean up their games. Neill obviously didn’t get to where the Canucks hoped he would. Brassard, we shall see, but I’ve watched him a fair amount this year and feel like he’s progressed well in that area even over just the last couple months. Brassard has also had to do a lot on his own this season, while Neill played alongside some pretty good defensemen.

And even with the criticisms I’ve mentioned on Neill, I still leaned toward signing him (although realistically our contract situation probably prevented it—and whether or not some of the players signed instead of Neill deserved their deals is a question for another day).

Brassard I rate higher than Neill and believe he has a really decent chance to be a good pro. Of course, we’re still talking something like maybe a one in four or five chance he actually pans out, but those are the kinds of odds you bet contracts on.

• Upvote 3

I think what the Carl Neill pick tells us is that the Canucks aren't looking for added scoring from players every year in junior as much as they are looking at the details of their game as to whether they fit the pro style. 

16 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

EDIT: And Matt’s aunt is very proud of her nephew :) 

So OHL Dman of the year in the 7th round and a potential Hobey Baker winner in the 5th round.  Benning should become a jewel merchant with all the gems he's findingB).  Who needs luck in the draft lottery?

Grats Matt Brassard. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

So OHL Dman of the year in the 7th round and a potential Hobey Baker winner in the 5th round.  Benning should become a jewel merchant with all the gems he's findingB).  Who needs luck in the draft lottery?

Grats Matt Brassard. 

Oshawa Generals Dman of the year

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, 3rdGenCanuck said:

Oshawa Generals Dman of the year

My bad, didn't think such a prestigious sounding award was limited to just one team haha.  Also didn't know Orr played for the Generals.  Brassard still sounds more promising than the average 7 round pick.  I goofed.

• Cheers 1

Answer to Tony Galleger. Yes what Jim Benning has done in the draft and on the foundation to a future play-off team is good enough for me to cheer Vancouver. Just look at Edmonton. Point closed. As Ray Ferraro said earlier he is always concerned with player's who up their play and start scoring when the games don't matter. Kinda like McDavid where were you in sept. Anyways I am excited for Edmonton next year because I feel McDavid is finally working through other teams blanket defense. And Yes I have a McDavid jersey and hope he can turn it up next year a little earlier. Back to JB, I am sure we will see growing pains but lets keep growing. 

Losing will cost you more than you want to pay 

Keep you longer than you want to stay

And take you further than you want to go.

Brassard with an assist on opening goal (which turned out to be the Gens’ only score). They lose 6-1 today and will be going down 2-0 in the series.

I couldn’t watch as I was chained to my desk preparing some very boring documents for Monday. But it looks like the game was close until things got out of hand late with a bunch of penalties and Oshawa gave up 4 goals in the third.