The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017-18 Utica Comets Thread

I really liked Blujus last year up until the playoffs where he was exposed by the Marlies speed and skill.  Still a good depth signing on defense.

Arseneau is a bit of a no care for me.  Laplante still has another year left on his NHL ELC and makes Vinnie redundant if he can stay healthy.

5 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

The first comment doesn't make any sense to me but the second comment has my full support.  Time to get an extension done Trev and Jim.

Yeah, that first comment is rather weird.

Almost sounds like he’s suggesting players shouldn’t get a Vancouver postal code until they’ve “earned it.” Like living in our fair city should be reserved for those players who’ve shown they’re NHL quality. And until then, they should ride the bus in Utica.

I don’t know if that’s what he's actually saying. I hope not.

But I can’t see how it would be counter productive to have our AHL prospects living in town, getting to learn from our top players, share facilities/training, and be available at a moment’s notice for callups.

It sure doesn’t seem to be counter productive for the Marlies.

On the second point, I also agree. Utica is a great location, especially given the travel logistics. It also sounds like a great place to live. And the fan support is incredible out there. Plenty of reasons to keep our affiliate in Utica.

But avoiding Comets rubbing elbows with Bo Horvat, walking the lovely streets of Vancouver, and eating in our fine restaurants?

Because that would be counter productive?

That’s just weird. 

I mean, I love Vancouver as much as anybody here, but it almost sounds like RJ is saying just living here should be a reward and goal for our AHL players that isn’t gifted until they make the show. And until then, they should live in places like the Mohawk Valley.

If that’s the meaning of his comments, it makes him sound like the stereotypical Vancouver “lotus eater” who thinks our “world class” city is better than everywhere else in the world. And maybe it is. But Vancouverites have a pretty bad reputation for telling everyone just how special this place is, how high it ranks on various surveys and global ratings, and how it’s just a better place than wherever somebody else is from.

Which can be pretty damn annoying.

And it can also be pretty dismissive and disrespectful to people from other places around the world. Including the fans and residents of Utica, which from all I’ve heard is a fine place to live. 

15 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Almost sounds like he’s suggesting players shouldn’t get a Vancouver postal code until they’ve “earned it.” Like living in our fair city should be reserved for those players who’ve shown they’re NHL quality. And until then, they should ride the bus in Utica.

But I can’t see how it would be counter productive to have our AHL prospects living in town, getting to learn from our top players, share facilities/training, and be available at a moment’s notice for callups.

On the second point, I also agree. Utica is a great location, especially given the travel logistics. It also sounds like a great place to live. And the fan support is incredible out there. Plenty of reasons to keep our affiliate in Utica.

But avoiding Comets rubbing elbows with Bo Horvat, walking the lovely streets of Vancouver, and eating in our fine restaurants?

That’s just weird. 

I mean, I love Vancouver as much as anybody here, but it almost sounds like RJ is saying just living here should be a reward and goal for our AHL players that isn’t gifted until they make the show. And until then, they should live in places like the Mohawk Valley.

If that’s the meaning of his comments, it makes him sound like the stereotypical Vancouver “lotus eater” who thinks our “world class” city is better than everywhere else in the world. And maybe it is. But Vancouverites have a pretty bad reputation for telling everyone just how special this place is, how high it ranks on various surveys and global ratings, and how it’s just a better place than wherever somebody else is from.

And it can also be pretty dismissive and disrespectful to people from other places around the world. Including the fans and residents of Utica, which from all I’ve heard is a fine place to live. 

I just listened to the interview to see what context the quote was taken from.  It sounded like a combination of he likes having AHL prospects isolated from the NHL city and all that comes with it so their total focus is developing and improving their level of play.  When it is time to move closer to the NHL city and Vancouver in this case it is because they have earned that promotion.  

17 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

I just listened to the interview to see what context the quote was taken from.  It sounded like a combination of he likes having AHL prospects isolated from the NHL city and all that comes with it so their total focus is developing and improving their level of play.  When it is time to move closer to the NHL city and Vancouver in this case it is because they have earned that promotion.  

That’s much more reasonable, not that I necessarily agree 100% with him. But I can understand the Canucks seeing some benefit in having more control and less distractions for the prospects. 

I think it’s also great for these kids to experience being the big ticket, albeit in a smaller place. It really seems like the entire Utica community gets behind their Comets, and they’d never experience that as an “also ran” team in Vancouver, where the Canucks dominate the sports market.

Just now, The Great 8 said:

All he said was $&!#, which is not a big deal haha. You can tell he was frustrated but I don’t think it was excessive.

Excessive no. Like if this came from a regular run of the mill hockey fan whatever. But it comes from an agent representing a professional athlete. This is pretty much vintage Torts.

Just looks like a clown to me.

On 6/13/2018 at 11:24 PM, higgyfan said:

Wondering if one of our Utica fans could comment on Dahlen's skating?  Thx in advance!

@TomatoPieFan

@UticaHockey

I guess there have been reports that Dahlen's skating isn't his strong point but I didn't notice any deficiencies.  I'm not sure he had the greatest top end speed but I thought he was very quick and a puck hound in the offensive zone at times.  From what I saw he used his quickness very effectively pressuring the puck on the forecheck and created a few turnovers in the limited late season games that I saw him play.  Keep in mind that he only played in two regular season and four playoff games for the Comets so the sample size is small.  He had a great game in the regular season finale against a weak Binghamton Devils team but didn't show much during the four playoff games against the Marlies. 

7 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

That’s just weird. 

Another thing to consider which doesn't seem to be included in the discussions:  cost of living.   Especially for the guys on entry level contracts.   $70K goes much further in Utica than it does in Vancouver.    Yes there are other AHL cities that have high cost of living expenses, but I think I saw something recently that Vancouver is in the top 3 worldwide most expensive.  

The San Jose Sharks and their AHL affiliate the San Jose Barracuda play in the same building.   

Pros and cons either way.   I personally would like to see them move and start competing against the affiliates of the teams in the Pacific Division.  

3 hours ago, goaliefreak68 said:

Another thing to consider which doesn't seem to be included in the discussions:  cost of living.   Especially for the guys on entry level contracts.   $70K goes much further in Utica than it does in Vancouver.    Yes there are other AHL cities that have high cost of living expenses, but I think I saw something recently that Vancouver is in the top 3 worldwide most expensive.  

The San Jose Sharks and their AHL affiliate the San Jose Barracuda play in the same building.   

Pros and cons either way.   I personally would like to see them move and start competing against the affiliates of the teams in the Pacific Division.  

Good point.  Vancouver is a ridiculously expensive city to live in.

San Jose is no way the fishbowl that Vancouver is.  I would prefer the team to stay in  Utica.

20 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

That’s much more reasonable, not that I necessarily agree 100% with him. But I can understand the Canucks seeing some benefit in having more control and less distractions for the prospects. 

I think it’s also great for these kids to experience being the big ticket, albeit in a smaller place. It really seems like the entire Utica community gets behind their Comets, and they’d never experience that as an “also ran” team in Vancouver, where the Canucks dominate the sports market.

My take on Ryan Johnson's comment, he was worried that the prospects may feel they have already made it to the big leagues if they lived around Vancouver and mixed with the current Canucks. He starts talking about it at the 15-minute mark.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/sportsnets-starting-lineup/canucks-director-player-development-prepping-nhl-draft/

Hope people will temper expectations with the first year AHL prospects.

Having Dahlen, Jasek, Gadjovich, Lind, Palmu all going to start their first professional seasons in NA, not to mention they also have Carcone, Motte, MacMasters (AHL deal), Cole Cassels, Zack MacEwen all still young and figuring out the AHL, there is lots of inexperience in the lineup.  Who knows depending how training camp goes, might even see Gaudette and others.

Hope Utica continues to bring back some good veterans to mentor this new core of prospects.  Carter Bancks, Jamie Sifers, Cam Darcy and with the likelihood of resigning Richard Bachman, are going to be essential leaders in that locker room and carrying that culture of grit and hard work. 

Ryan Johnson is doing one hell of a job in Utica.  Really hope the Canucks have a bigger role for him going forward...maybe move him up as an assistant GM at some point in the near future.  Such a smart guy and well spoken.

16 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Hope people will temper expectations with the first year AHL prospects.

Having Dahlen, Jasek, Gadjovich, Lind, Palmu all going to start their first professional seasons in NA, not to mention they also have Carcone, Motte, MacMasters (AHL deal), Cole Cassels, Zack MacEwen all still young and figuring out the AHL, there is lots of inexperience in the lineup.  Who knows depending how training camp goes, might even see Gaudette and others.

Hope Utica continues to bring back some good veterans to mentor this new core of prospects.  Carter Bancks, Jamie Sifers, Cam Darcy and with the likelihood of resigning Richard Bachman, are going to be essential leaders in that locker room and carrying that culture of grit and hard work. 

Ryan Johnson is doing one hell of a job in Utica.  Really hope the Canucks have a bigger role for him going forward...maybe move him up as an assistant GM at some point in the near future.  Such a smart guy and well spoken.

I dont think Cole Cassels has been given a contract yet. But they have brought Bachman back. 

Im wondering if Chaput gets another look in with Utica?

I think this year will be the most exciting for Canucks fans when watching what happens in Utica. It really is a changing of the guard and Bennings draft picks are going to get a real good look at the AHL.

Is Archibald going to be back in Utica or in Van? Im not sure he brought enough to the NHL but he is a beast in the AHL. He would really make a difference in Utica.

All in all I am excited to see what happens this year!

Some more changes coming to the Comets for next season... no surprise on Wiercioch, but wouldn't have minded seeing Chaput back. Comets will need a new #1C and #1D signed after July 1st to help provide some stability and offense going into next year, be interesting to see who they target.

Edit: also, coming up on the anniversary of this thread. Gonna get the 2018-19 Comets thread going in a couple of days before free agency hits.

2 hours ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Some more changes coming to the Comets for next season... no surprise on Wiercioch, but wouldn't have minded seeing Chaput back. Comets will need a new #1C and #1D signed after July 1st to help provide some stability and offense going into next year, be interesting to see who they target.

Edit: also, coming up on the anniversary of this thread. Gonna get the 2018-19 Comets thread going in a couple of days before free agency hits.

If they could somehow get Dowd on a two way contract, that would be perfect!! I think hes a very decent 13th forward. 

Or if they could trade for a Tucker Poolman type to solidify the right side down in Utica. 

Archived