Adarsh Sant

Canucks Free Agency 2017 (July 1 update: Canucks sign 5 players)

Rate this topic

3 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

The Golden Knights Monday announced their 44-man roster for their first development camp 

Included is Cody Glass, the team’s first draft pick at No. 6 overall.

Forwards (24): 

Patrick Bajkov, Alex Barre-Boulet, Kenny Brooks, Nick Campoli,

Jack Dugan, Reid Duke, Lucas Elvenes, Cody Glass, Jayden Halbgewachs,

Brendan Harris, Tomas Hyka, Ben Jones, Keegan Kolesar,

Jake Leschyshyn, Josh Melnick, Darian Romanko, Jonas Rondbjerg,

Jake Slaker, Martin Sundberg,

Nick Suzuki, Alex Tuch, Max Veronneau, Sebastian Vidmar, Tyler Wong

Defensemen (15): Jake Bischoff, Erik Brannstrom, Nikolas Brouillard,

Dylan Coghlan, Wyatt Ege, Max Gottlieb, Nicolas Hague, Grant Hutton,

Michael Kim, Dmitry Osipov, Alexey Solovyev, Keoni Texeira, Matthew Timms,

Will Warm, Justin Wells

Goaltenders (5): Griffen Outhouse, Jiri Patera, Artur Pavliukov, Logan Thompson, Maksim Zhukov.

+1 for Griffn frigging Outhouse 

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Finally

Cramarossa, Gartieg, Zalewski not qualified as a result

Gartieg getting cut kind of surprises me. Must not have liked what they saw. The other two aren't shocking.

39 minutes ago, HC20.0 said:

Gartieg getting cut kind of surprises me. Must not have liked what they saw. The other two aren't shocking.

Gartieg and Zalewski could get AHL contracts. Cram will probably find a team looking to boost their 4th line, perhaps Anaheim signs him back.

51 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

I've watched Outhouse play live a few times (Victoria Royoals). I'm surprised he's getting an NHL invite...

You might say his play is the $&!#s?

:bigblush:

• Upvote 2

Went to a few Vic games this year, checked out the Outhouse. He's always gettin pulled after letting a few in.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Grigorenko wasn't qualified, thoughts of giving him or Yakupov a second chance? They'd be pretty fun to watch on the same line actually.

6 hours ago, apollo said:

Yakupov would be interested in coming here? Sure why not... lets give him a 1 year deal. Maybe he can channel his inner Bure?

If Yakupov will come here cheap I am all in favor of signing him and giving him a shot. The cap will not be an issue this year and Yakupov might figure that with the Canucks scoring woes he has a better chance of making the team here than elsewhere.

But I am jumping on the Jordan Weal bandwagon. As a Group 6 free agent he is still pretty young (just turned 25). Not a lot of expected improvement at his age, but maybe some and, unlike most UFAs, age-related decline will not be an issue for quite a while. He could actually become part of good team 3 or 4 years from now. He has not played a lot in the NHL but his numbers in Philly last year were very good. His scoring rate was 0.52 PPG,  he was +5 in 23 games on a mediocre team and his net CORSI for was a very good 55.9%. And he is from Vancouver so he might be willing to come back. The knock on him is that he is small. But he is well worth taking a close look at.

• Upvote 1

Rattie

Weal

Folin

Postma

Gormley

Oesterle

I think i'd be ok with those UFA's.  Bigger names we should stay clear of, and players coming off 1 good season and are looking to get paid we should also stay clear of.  

Edited by amplified0ne

49 minutes ago, The Bookie said:

Went to a few Vic games this year, checked out the Outhouse. He's always gettin pulled after letting a few in.

He and Cloutier would make quite the combo!

Yes to Yakupov. Why not give the guy a shot? I mean, he had a bad season or two, but the guy is only 23. He just needs to get his groove back is all. We should honestly take the risk on him as we have a lot to gain but little to lose.

• Upvote 1

Ty Rattie has been on the Canucks radar for a while and finally he's not qualified. There's plenty of guys who will be out there to prove themselves and looking for a second chance, and Vancouver might be one place that will let them. Las Vegas will certainly be another. 

We are running out of roster spots for projects though. 

Sedin - Sedin - Goldobin

Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser

Granlund - Sutter - ?

? - Gaunce - Boucher

Dorsett might be gifted a roster spot. If not, there's really only a couple of openings, but I would like to see Goldobin, Boeser and Boucher really pushed for their spots rather than given to them.

1) Sign a defenceman to play alongside Tanev. Kulikov or Alzner at around 4 years 4.5-5M but no NMC or a limited one so we can flip them to a contender for a 1st or 2nd round pick if they boost their value at this or the following deadline.

2) Sign 2 project forwards to two-way deals if we can. Combined value of 2M. Two of:

- Ty Rattie

- Grigorenko

- Yakupov

- Weal

- Dwight King

- Beau Bennett (I'm sure NJD sign him though)

Whoever we sign, they really have to start at the bottom, probably play a bit of time in Utica, but they'll get their chances in a big way in Vancouver. As tempting as a Goldobin-Grigorenko-Yakupov line would be, they'd be a coach's nightmare and I doubt it'd ever happen.

1 hour ago, amplified0ne said:

Rattie

Weal

Folin

Postma

Gormley

Oesterle

I think i'd be ok with those UFA's.  Bigger names we should stay clear of, and players coming off 1 good season and are looking to get paid we should also stay clear of.  

Ferrari had some interesting takes on who the Canucks should sniff around.

He thinks they should go after the undervalued guys.

He doesn't like Grigorenko. "Too slow"

He doesnt like Yakupov. "Goes 100 mph but never accomplishes anything"

Likes Brett Connolly local guy right wing has some skill can play in your top 9. Would be a second or third line guy on the Canucks.

"Middle six" if you will..

33 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Likes Brett Connolly local guy right wing has some skill can play in your top 9. Would be a second or third line guy on the Canucks.

Brett Connolly was just re-signed by Washington.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Chip Kelly said:

I know he was probably just throwing names off the top of his head.  I remember Connolly was highly touted during his draft year, CDC might implode if Virtanen has a similar NHL career as Connolly.  That hip injury seems to have derailed a promising career and maybe he's finally figured the pro game out.  Rather just go with Virtanen.

6 hours ago, stawns said:

Considering your post history, I'll take that as a compliment

My post history? You just called our overpaid career 3rd liner who had an average 3rd liner type year the 2nd best forward on a team with two legit 2nd line centers (Henrik, Horvat) and a legit 2nd line LW (Daniel). Heck, Baertschi outscored him and Granlund was two points behind despite both of them playing about a dozen less games. Not to mention Hansen who would have easily outproduced him given a full season with the Canucks (40 point pace).

You'd have to be either joking or related to the Sutter family to actually be serious about an opinion like that.

Edited by kanucks25
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, The Bookie said:

One or two?

6 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Whats the NHL record for most "middle 6" forwards dressed in a game ?

I think it's quite possible that we are attempting to accumulate an unprecedented 12.

• Upvote 1

Hope we get Miller back, but if he gets an offer for a more competitive team, I couldn't hold it against him for signing elsewhere, he was criminally underrated for his time here. (Not by paycheques obviously... but effort and skill wise)

I like the idea of signing Yakopov.  One year for $2m or two year $1.5m.  Low risk, put up the points or go back to Russia.  His value will never be lower and it might the last kick of the can for him in N America.  

There are big areas of weakness in his game but he does have speed and a good pair of hands.

The Canucks need scoring from somewhere and if could score 15 goals in a 3rd/4th line role, that would be a huge improvement on last year.

Only hope we resign Miller if cant gain an impact prospect/pick player for eating a bad goalie contract.(Niemi buyout hurt that option)

Miller at least makes us competitive and IMO should be given a modified trade clause that he can list 5 teams till 2 weeks before deadline..

It then becomes unlimited to any team for a potential 2 month playoff run.(can live anywhere for a couple months)

Think we can get something for him as playoff insurance/or injury from a team

I have been saying for 3 years that IMO Markstrom is not a #1 goalie ...and should never have been paid the $ we gave him.

18 hours ago, Virtanen The Great said:

Your crazy if you think alzner is going to sign for under 2 mil. 6 mil more like it

I don't think he's going to sign for 2, 6 is for sure a more realistic number.  What I'm saying is the Canucks should be signing guys for about 2, at the stage we are.  No need for big ticket guys unless it's a young player.