The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Hurricanes trade Eddie Lack, Ryan Murphy, 2019 7th-round pick to Flames for Keegan Kanzig, 2019 6th-round pick

• 3 months later...
On 2017-06-30 at 4:01 PM, sampy said:

Yes every city has their issues, Vancouver has a lot of them. IMO from having lived in both cities, Vancouver is far nicer but I'm sure there are those like Blunt who prefer Calgary. 

I've learned this myself, this will also do yourself a favour and not associate with stupid people.

Do not waste your time with anyone that tells you Calgary is a better city then Vancouver, or Edmonton, or whatever.  It doesn't matter w t f reason they give you.   DO NOT ARGUE WITH ANYONE THAT TELLS YOU CALGARY IS A BETTER CITY THEN VANCOUVER.

It's like arguing with some idiot who tells you  Detroit is a nicer city then L.A,  and that things are cheaper then L.A that's why it's better city.  it's like that, it's retarded, and I don't get it.  

the reason is, these guys are not worth wasting your time with.   They don't know what wtf they are truly talking about.  I've been too many places around the world, I've been to pretty much every major city in Canada, except for Winnipeg St Johns and farther east, nothing in Canada compares to Vancouver.   

tip for Anyone that loves Calgary or if its your home town.

Calgary is a nice city, it's clean, but keep the which city is better to live in, out of the conversation please. 

out.  Enjoy your snow. 

On 6/30/2017 at 9:20 AM, PhillipBlunt said:

There will always be people from BC who feel the need to project this superiority complex because of the mountains and ocean. It's sad and desperate, especially considering how horribly overpriced and overrated the area is, in actual fact.

Vancouver, as a city, is a middling tourist stop. It lacks the breadth of character or true nature of a city like New York, Rome, London, Paris, Toronto, Los Angeles, and on and on.

Some folks just eat up the best city to live in propaganda and wear it proudly as a pat me on the head badge.

Oh come on, we have lots of characters here. There's Alf, and... uhm....

regards,  G.

Come on now.  I have lived all over Canada and spent time in all the cities listed above save LA.  Vancouver is a great city and definitely has a distinct personality much different than those.  

NY, Paris, London, Rome, great cities to visit, not sure would want to live in them.  Goes double for American cities at this point in history (and I have dual citizenship).  Toronto is a great fun city but getting around it would drive me crazy.

For me the unfortunate part is the expense, I currently live in London (Ontario that is) which is milquetoast as far as places to live in Canada and I miss Vancouver every day.  

As far as the Calgary/Edmonton vs Vancouver debate goes why even bring it up, no contest, just a silly debate.  I lived in both Calgary and Edmonton for a number of years and every time I get the chance to go back, I decline.  

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

Come on now.  I have lived all over Canada and spent time in all the cities listed above save LA.  Vancouver is a great city and definitely has a distinct personality much different than those.  

NY, Paris, London, Rome, great cities to visit, not sure would want to live in them.  Goes double for American cities at this point in history (and I have dual citizenship).  Toronto is a great fun city but getting around it would drive me crazy.

For me the unfortunate part is the expense, I currently live in London (Ontario that is) which is milquetoast as far as places to live in Canada and I miss Vancouver every day.  

As far as the Calgary/Edmonton vs Vancouver debate goes why even bring it up, no contest, just a silly debate.  I lived in both Calgary and Edmonton for a number of years and every time I get the chance to go back, I decline.  

Finally someone who knows wtf hes talking about. I wouldn't move to most European cities save Amsterdam and Edinburgh and definitely no others in the US or Canada.  Plenty of nice places out there with nice people but Vancouver is in a rare league.  Unfortunately most who live in it don't appreciate it which is funny for how much they bitch about the cost of staying.  Always sounds like sour grapes to me...

46 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

I agree with both points. Vancouver has almost what I would call three personalities. It is a horribly overpriced middling tourist trap with neighbourhoods ruined by "investors". Yet at the same time I do see the two other personalities of Vancouver. One is "old" Vancouver, almost reminders of the way Vancouver used to be. Second is the "young" Vancouver, which is screaming to be let loose and have fun. Liberal minded, outdoor loving, bringing life to some cool neighbourhoods. 

I spent 28 years of my life in the city and slowly watched the old Vancouver die. I have faint memories of what it was like in the 90s, and hearing from my parents what it was like in the 60s and 70s. One of my distant grandfathers started the first european settlement in the Burrard Inlet - my family (on both sides) had come to the city a long, long time ago. And while there was a lot that I loved about the city, I felt like a combination of low wages and high housing costs were just not worth it. 

Vancouver to me is like a long-term relationship that slowly faded over time. There were good days, and moments were I felt in love with the city, but overall it just got worse to the point where I decided to break-up and finally move away. 

8 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

I've learned this myself, this will also do yourself a favour and not associate with stupid people.

Do not waste your time with anyone that tells you Calgary is a better city then Vancouver, or Edmonton, or whatever.  It doesn't matter w t f reason they give you.   DO NOT ARGUE WITH ANYONE THAT TELLS YOU CALGARY IS A BETTER CITY THEN VANCOUVER.

It's like arguing with some idiot who tells you  Detroit is a nicer city then L.A,  and that things are cheaper then L.A that's why it's better city.  it's like that, it's retarded, and I don't get it.  

the reason is, these guys are not worth wasting your time with.   They don't know what wtf they are truly talking about.  I've been too many places around the world, I've been to pretty much every major city in Canada, except for Winnipeg St Johns and farther east, nothing in Canada compares to Vancouver.   

tip for Anyone that loves Calgary or if its your home town.

Calgary is a nice city, it's clean, but keep the which city is better to live in, out of the conversation please. 

out.  Enjoy your snow. 

I have had friends that lived and currently live there. I've visited but I don't see the attraction. There's a reason people in Alberta buy property in the Interior and Eastern BC. 

Not my scene. I'd sooner live in Chicago and deal with the crime there than live in Calgary. If my goal in life was to live without Provincial or State  Taxes, then I'd sooner live in Oregon. 

53 minutes ago, SamJamIam said:

Finally someone who knows wtf hes talking about. I wouldn't move to most European cities save Amsterdam and Edinburgh and definitely no others in the US or Canada.  Plenty of nice places out there with nice people but Vancouver is in a rare league.  Unfortunately most who live in it don't appreciate it which is funny for how much they bitch about the cost of staying.  Always sounds like sour grapes to me...

I grew up in the valley, left about 12 years ago, never to return.  Lived in alberta for 10 of those 12 years and have loved every minute of it.   You actually couldnt pay me to move back to the coast.  As a man with no political affiliation, and a deep hatred of rain, i will put my coat on in march, and bear the storm

Every time I have gone to Vancouver I have hated it. Also, no word of a lie. I was just down in LA a couple weeks ago and even though it's much bigger and there is traffic congestion all the time, the driving was actually still better and safer than Vancouver. No question. How does a city like LA get that right and Vancouver continue to get that wrong. I love me some Canucks hockey, but I definitely dislike the city.

Archived