The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Are We in on Will Butcher?

19 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

You're telling me things that I already know and agree with to varying degrees.

Okely-dokely doo.

19 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

I'm just hyper aware of how craptastic teams need to look as shiny as they can in order to attract free agents who have their choice of who they go to.  I've been going through it with the Sabres for 6 years and the Bills for 17 and now the Canucks for a couple of years.  If the Canucks were still contenders, I wouldn't give it much of a second thought, but they are no longer contenders.

Do you think that free agents are dazzled by the shininess of a craptastic team, or do the majority of them do their homework beforehand to gauge the likeliness of success? I guess it would also differ between an established NHL FA and one coming out of college?

In Tryamkin's case, I think there's also a stigma attached to Russian players "bolting" for the K....I wonder why?

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

Do you think that free agents are dazzled by the shininess of a craptastic team, or do the majority of them do their homework beforehand to gauge the likeliness of success? I guess it would also differ between an established NHL FA and one coming out of college?

In Tryamkin's case, I think there's also a stigma attached to Russian players "bolting" for the K....I wonder why?

Tryamkin bolting is on Tryamkin's lack of maturity as much as anything else.  I just want the Canucks to look as shiny as they can.  That whole situation was a net negative for the organization.  It's not a wine spill stain on the rug size, more like a drop, but things like that need to be avoided.

3 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Tryamkin bolting is on Tryamkin's lack of maturity as much as anything else.

Agreed.

3 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

I just want the Canucks to look as shiny as they can. That whole situation was a net negative for the organization.  It's not a wine spill stain on the rug size, more like a drop, but things like that need to be avoided.

It does have a negative effect for sure, which I think letting WD go did help an iota. That being said, there are enough folks out there hoping for the Canucks to fail to give them any ammunition.

Let's get this back to the discussion about Will Butcher.  

He would be a great add.  I don't know whether we have a shot, but I would like to think that Benning would put on a full court press to at least try to sign him.

If I were him, I would want to go to a young team who is looking for exactly my skills.

We could more easily move Edler at the deadline the more defensive prospects we have.  It would also help us take the BPA in next years draft as we will not be picking for need as much.

5 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

I realize that, but I've been worried about the way they looked to agents and FA's when they handled the Tryamkin thing the way that they did ever since it happened.

5 hours ago, crobar said:

Did they not sit Tryamkin because he came to camp out of shape and refused to go to Utica, and they had him  get into better shape before joining line up.

Players don't decide who makes the team, coaches and management do.  Clearly they felt he was not ready and needed conditioning, but he was not willing to go, even if for just a couple of weeks.  That's his choice and it was written in his contract, but a team is never obliged to play players they do not believe should be in the lineup.

5 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

I hope you're right, but I still think the Canucks reputation took a bit of a hit when after promising Tryamkin complete NHL time, JB and Willie went back on their word and tried to move him to the AHL.

Young sought after FA's base their team choices on where they think they'll have the best shot to stay and play in the NHL.

You can bet your bottom dollar that Jimmy Vesey would never have gone to the Rangers last year had they not promised him that he was going to play out the season in the NHL.  When he hit a rough patch mid-season, they stuck with him and he came out of his slump.  Something that Tryamkin had to force Vancouver to do.

Oh goodness, let it go.   There are dozens and dozens of examples of Russian players going through same thing.   You are trying to create something that doesn't exist.   Tryamkin's situation was a fitness thing and if Vesey had showed up not in NHL shape they would have sat his ass and played him only once he had done the gym thing for months OR they never would have signed him if they new it was an issue.   Different situation for Tyamkin who was a rookie for the most part who had a bunch of issues that needed solving including wanting his Mom around.    

The chance that a drafted Russian kid has any impact on a NCAA senior in terms of signing or not - about as relevant as whether your team uses Tide or Sunlight to was the jerseys.   

3 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Players don't decide who makes the team, coaches and management do.  Clearly they felt he was not ready and needed conditioning, but he was not willing to go, even if for just a couple of weeks.  That's his choice and it was written in his contract, but a team is never obliged to play players they do not believe should be in the lineup.

I never said they were obliged to play him.  That clause should never have been included in his contract in the first place.  Hopefully JB learned his lesson with that situation.

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Oh goodness, let it go.   There are dozens and dozens of examples of Russian players going through same thing.   You are trying to create something that doesn't exist.   Tryamkin's situation was a fitness thing and if Vesey had showed up not in NHL shape they would have sat his ass and played him only once he had done the gym thing for months OR they never would have signed him if they new it was an issue.   Different situation for Tyamkin who was a rookie for the most part who had a bunch of issues that needed solving including wanting his Mom around.    

The chance that a drafted Russian kid has any impact on a NCAA senior in terms of signing or not - about as relevant as whether your team uses Tide or Sunlight to was the jerseys.   

Oh goodness, relax.  I'm only continuing to talk about it because people are responding to me.  When people make the effort to have a conversation about something, I respond because it's the courteous thing to do irl and on the internet. 

I've made my opinion clear on the matter.  I don't kiss the Sabres' as*es and neither do I kiss the Canucks' rear-ends.  Both my #1 and #2 teams can and do end up doing stupid counter-intuitive things.  The Sabres are still paying for one they did a decade ago.  Fortunately the Tryamkin situation is minor.

That clause never should have been included in his contract to begin with.

1 minute ago, SabreFan1 said:

Oh goodness, relax.  I'm only continuing to talk about it because people are responding to me.  When people make the effort to have a conversation about something, I respond because it's the courteous thing to do irl and on the internet. 

I've made my opinion clear on the matter.  I don't kiss the Sabres' as*es and neither do I kiss the Canucks' rear-ends.  Both my #1 and #2 teams can and do end up doing stupid counter-intuitive things.  The Sabres are still paying for one they did a decade ago.  Fortunately the Tryamkin situation is minor.

That clause never should have been included in his contract to begin with.

The clause was an error but players also have clauses in their contracts about things like fitness (ever signed a professional contract?   I have and trust me you cannot do what you want on all levels...there is accountability) and Canucks may well have felt he surrounded the AHL clause when he decided McD's was health food for his first full summer in Vancouver - we will never know.   

Anyway, I don't think anyone outside of this conversation which is already long past its "best before" date gives a rat's behind in terms of whether they sign with Vancouver or not.   As far as the Sabres, interesting management there these days but like the Canucks I see better times ahead though not immediately ahead.   

4 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

Tryamkin bolting is on Tryamkin's lack of maturity as much as anything else.  I just want the Canucks to look as shiny as they can.  That whole situation was a net negative for the organization.  It's not a wine spill stain on the rug size, more like a drop, but things like that need to be avoided.

this is a bit of an overstatement

but unfortunately we see it too often

when the going gets tough

the russians get going (leaving or disappearing)

the trend is they display a different makeup then most hockey players

and the current best russian, ovie .. is an example of this

11 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

The only way that a team like Vancouver gets a young rookie FA like that is by promising NHL ice time.  JB and Willie hurt the Canuck's reputation in that regard with the whole Tryamkin debacle when he first made the team. 

In full agreement on Willie turning Tryakmin sour, but I also think a lot of players would have gladly taken a 2 year deal to be a full time NHLr. The situation is weird enough that I don't think it will have a spill over effect. Now if Boeser gets jerked around..... then maybe it will be time to worry. 

• 3 weeks later...

He will be a free agent, he has turned down the Avs.  He has to be impressed with how Stecher was treated.

His agent said this to Rick Dhaliwal. “If Jim Benning calls on the 15th, we would be very interested to see what he has to say.” Bartlett told Rick Dhaliwal of Vancouver’s News 1130. “We are looking for opportunity and there is certainly opportunity in Vancouver, we will see how they stack up.

I think this guy would automatically become our second best Defensive prospect

Juolevi

Butcher

Brisebois

Mceneny

Subban

This list is a lot better with him on it than without.

He would also give us more comfort to trade Tanev, Edler, Hutton or Subban.  If Tryamkin comes back in 2 years, we could be looking good.  If he looked really good this year, he would allow us to take the best player available in the draft next year and not focus on an offensive defenseman.

Go get him Jim!

39 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

He will be a free agent, he has turned down the Avs.  He has to be impressed with how Stecher was treated.

His agent said this to Rick Dhaliwal. “If Jim Benning calls on the 15th, we would be very interested to see what he has to say.” Bartlett told Rick Dhaliwal of Vancouver’s News 1130. “We are looking for opportunity and there is certainly opportunity in Vancouver, we will see how they stack up.

Juolevi

Butcher

Brisebois

Mceneny

Subban

He would also give us more comfort to trade Tanev, Edler, Hutton or Subban.  If Tryamkin comes back in 2 years, we could be looking good.  If he looked really good this year, he would allow us to take the best player available in the draft next year and not focus on an offensive defenseman.

Go get him Jim!

Haven't seen this kid play. Could you kindly describe his style?

1 hour ago, Dixon Ward said:

Juolevi

Butcher

Brisebois

Mceneny

Subban

Go get him Jim!

His agent has probably said the same thing to other teams media inquiring about him...sounds like a canned answer.

41 minutes ago, ice orca said:

His agent has probably said the same thing to other teams media inquiring about him...sounds like a canned answer.

Yeah. What do you expect him to say? His agent is going to keep all options open. 

On 7/4/2017 at 8:48 AM, ReggieBush said:

I love Will Butcher as a player, and he is a really impressive kid, but I haven't heard any rumours on us being in on him

https://canucksarmy.com/2017/07/27/should-the-canucks-pursue-pending-free-agent-defenceman-will-butcher/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Just talked with Brian Bartlett who represents D Will Butcher and the 2017 Hobey Baker Award who is free agent on August 15th.

Bartlett on the #Canucks, “We are looking for opportunity and there is certainly opportunity in Vancouver, we will see how they stack up.”

Bartlett on the #Canucks (2) : “If Jim Benning calls on the 15th, we would be very interested to see what he has to say.”

1 hour ago, ice orca said:

I am not delusional.  I realize agents say things.  I am not suggesting that we are his number 1 destination because of that. Just that the money is the same so situation will matter. We are a team looking for a young puck moving defenseman.  If I were Butcher, I would give it a good long look. Great city, youth movement, used to cheering for guys named Butcher, etc...

Archived