The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

New Canucks Radio Broadcast Rights Holder, Sportsnet 650, Has Announced Morning Show Host

cuporbust

5 hours ago, DonaldBrashear said:

Steve Darling got kicked around on Noon News for about 20 years. I am not trying to be mean, but he doesn't seem to have much of a spine. He would have made an awful politician and I am glad Port Moody didn't elect him.

Make that Burnaby Lougheed, or whatever my riding is called. He wasn't close in his political career. Gladly most of the people in this riding agree with your statement, especially when he said he was all about education in public schools. He and his cohort Richard T lee didn't bother going to all candidates meetings either, kinda Harper like.

18 hours ago, Vanisleryan said:

I sure hope they can get a rebroadcast in Victoria. 1040 comes in terrible here. I know I can get it online but rather not eat up my data when driving around.

That why I go with the podcasts.  I download the previous day's show in the morning and then listen to it through the day.

20 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

Make that Burnaby Lougheed, or whatever my riding is called. He wasn't close in his political career. Gladly most of the people in this riding agree with your statement, especially when he said he was all about education in public schools. He and his cohort Richard T lee didn't bother going to all candidates meetings either, kinda Harper like.

So basically he's a hypocrite?  Publicly states he supports education in public schools and then runs for the party that has been stripping funding for public schools for the last two decades?  I can't believe how stupid these guys think we are.  I bet his understanding of hockey is just as shallow.

Steve Darling is a moron. He's not the sharpest knife in the drawer. I thought I had heard and seen the last of him when he left Global tv and after he failed to get elected in the Provincial election (Thank God!).

Now he's going to be on the radio?? Doing sports??? UGH!!!

I was pumped when i found out i wouldnt have to listen to Pratt anymore in the morning. The guy is an absolute idiot and annoying beyond belief. Then i find out steve darling is on the new one... i hated him as an anchor on global primarily because of how he did the sports highlights. You can tell he has no clue what hes talking about. Extremely disappointed 

14 hours ago, tas said:

I feel like there's way too much water under the bridge for taylor to back to sportsnet. 

on a mostly unrelated note, does anyone know where bmac has been the last several months? early on they said he was on vacation but they haven't mentioned it at all lately that I've heard. his name is still part of the show so he hasn't officially left. 

more depression issues I wonder?

I am assuming so, he's been gone a while. At first I though ok maybe just a long vacation but I can't remember the last time I heard him on the radio now.

3 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Oh good Stat was the only logical one and I quite enjoyed him.  Problem is I don't mind Price and Sekeras to much so I would like to see who Stat ends up being with as his co-host.

1 hour ago, Russ said:

I am assuming so, he's been gone a while. At first I though ok maybe just a long vacation but I can't remember the last time I heard him on the radio now.

Oh good Stat was the only logical one and I quite enjoyed him.  Problem is I don't mind Price and Sekeras to much so I would like to see who Stat ends up being with as his co-host.

I had never heard of him before this thread. Where did they find him?

On 7/5/2017 at 4:50 PM, apollo said:

C-Ball? Used to work with Don Taylor didn't he? 

It's a shame they didn't approach former sportsnet employee Don Taylor. Don is GOAT! 

Since he stopped calling the Sportsnews, I've never enjoyed it as much. He was the ultimate local host. 

WAS IT HIS LEFT HABI?! OR HIS RIGHT BULIN? 

Don Taylor is just a cartoon now, well past his prime. Needs to retire. Same goes for his two buddies on the drive show.

All they do is talk about celebrities from 40 years ago and food. They seem to know very little about today's sports.

On 7/5/2017 at 4:25 PM, Bur14Kes17 said:

Eff I hate James Cybulski. At least it's not Cybulski and Bro Jake doing a show together.

Surprised he got a new job, seems to get let go pretty quickly at most jobs 'cause the public doesn't like him very much lol.

Probably won't get as much hate on the morning show I assume the audience is more of a mature, laid-back crowd.

11 hours ago, Russ said:

I like Sat, I am surprised they didn't put him as one of the morning co-hosts, I think it would have drawn some fans away from 1040.

16 hours ago, Rocky Balboa said:

Steve Darling always seemed to try too hard to be "cool" on camera. 

Though I heard a rumour he got Zack Spencer fired from Global/BCTV. 

I wouldn't doubt it. I believe he got Sonja Deoul moved off the morning news at Global before he got turfed out. She was smarter than him, and he couldn't deal with it.

11 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

Don Taylor is just a cartoon now, well past his prime. Needs to retire. Same goes for his two buddies on the drive show.

All they do is talk about celebrities from 40 years ago and food. They seem to know very little about today's sports.

It's true. While sometimes it is funny, their schtick does get tiresome.  Don Taylor has been mailing it in for years now. His forte is reading the sports on tv and adding in the occasional ad lib while presenting the highlights. The afternoon drive show with him and Moj is getting pretty bad. It's very hard to find good, local radio programs anymore. It's either lame shyte like this or piped in crap from the US.

i hope their feed reaches victoria.  we can listen to the pre-game, game, and a short 10 minute post game usually. but we have zero access to the extended post game show or any of the day time shows.  we got the tsn feed from cfax 1070.

if you try to listen to 1040 here the static will wreck your ears. not to mention it cuts out every few sentences.  id rather not use data when im driving around.

On 07/07/2017 at 6:44 AM, Salmonberries said:

I had never heard of him before this thread. Where did they find him?

If you're talking about Sat he was the producer of Bro Jake's show on 1040. He used to chip in a lot of information throughout the show and was more like a 3rd host than producer.

On 05/07/2017 at 5:20 PM, Vanisleryan said:

I sure hope they can get a rebroadcast in Victoria. 1040 comes in terrible here. I know I can get it online but rather not eat up my data when driving around.

i copied you lol - funny 

it really does stink.

15 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

i copied you lol - funny 

it really does stink.

Yeah I don't know why it has never happened. There's a big enough population here to justify it....really how hard would it be?

I tweeted Cybalski about it and he liked the tweet.... hopefully maybe he'll suggest it.

More interesting stuff about Sportsnet 650. Looks like Rintool's back. Sat may also have a spot on there.

http://theprovince.com/sports/morning-skate/the-morning-skate-vancouver-radios-big-rotation

Last week you may have noted Sportsnet 650’s introduction of their new morning team.

Over the weekend, more secrets started slipping out.

By now, we can make a decent guess at how the sports radio deck chairs will look come September.

TSN 1040 is shifting Sekeres and Price to the afternoon drive. Don Taylor and Bob Marjanovich look likely to do a noon to 3 shift. The old Kurtenbloggers, Mike Halford and Jason Brough, are apparently set for a 9 to noon. (Bro Jake and Dave Pratt look to be still the morning drive guys.)

Over at 650, it looks that Scott Rintoul, who’s back at 1040 calling Lions games after being let go earlier this year from hosting duties could land full time as an afternoon host.

He’s not saying anything but most think it’s a done deal. Seems he’s going to host with Andrew Walker, who’s moving from Sportsnet’s Toronto station 590 the Fan.

We also know Sat Shah is hosting something, and it’s easy to see it will be some sort of lunch spot.

The interesting thing in all this is how sports radio evolves over the next year. Sportsnet 650 has Canucks radio rights for five years. They insist it’s a big deal. But many argue that the only important times for radio any more are the drive time periods. Everything else is for the die hards.

We can see the effort 1040 has put in over the past few years to ramp up pushing out snippets of shows. Individual interviews cut re-posted to the website every day. They wouldn’t do that if there weren’t a thirst for it.

Sportsnet has made big investments on the digital side, adding writers to their websites — but not just anyone, these are writers who have a good TV and radio presence too. The multi-modal sports talker is the future…or the near future anyway.

So the real key for 650 (and for 1040 as they ramp up their competitive juices, just like their TV brethren have had to since losing the national TV rights) is how they handle the growing desire among younger fans for right-now highlights and analysis. It’s not just about the radio station any more, it’s about content delivery. That’s the horrible corporate description and suggests the risk underneath all this, that everything becomes homogenized.

The true key to winning this battle for the imagined future will be who is the most dynamic and the most exciting; those will keep the brains and ears and eyeballs.

On 2017-07-06 at 9:04 PM, Rocky Balboa said:

Steve Darling always seemed to try too hard to be "cool" on camera. 

Though I heard a rumour he got Zack Spencer fired from Global/BCTV. 

What? I liked Zack Spencer. Must have been a jealous thing. In fact Zack probably would have been a better choice for the morning show. I still miss the guys from The Score. 

I would have liked Kouleas, Cybulski, Giuallard. Or some combination. 

Archived