The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Michael Chaput

1 hour ago, alfstonker said:

Thankfully you are someone who actually watched the games.

Dare I say there should be night classes held in "game understanding" for a good few posters on here.

Wow I guess I failed to watch any games and that is my problem. Thanks for clarifying that for me bud. :lol: If you are OK watching these guys play and you can make excuses as to why they are entitled to be on the roster then go ahead and tell yourself whatever you want.

If I don't like how a player performs that is my prerogative to say so. I think as a mere fan I have that right.

To sit there and profess to me like your some hockey manager/coach Guru just makes laugh.

I watch hockey because it is entertaining and if its NOT, I am going to say so, plain and simple. Sorry but these guys do not score, do not fight or lay big checks. They are not super fast and do not have super slap shots. No talent so, ultimately, not very entertaining.

I guess you like watching PLUGS. Me? I guess I prefer a little more then that. :lol:

2 hours ago, alfstonker said:

I think you do these guys a disservice just to give EdgarM a colour by numbers picture he can understand.

Megna, Chaput and Skille were all decent players who had decent speed, decent skill and in the latter two, a bit of physicality. They played the rolls they were given pretty well. However where they couldn't cut the mustard was finishing and the likes of you and I know if they could finish like an NHL player they would not have been plying their trade for the most part in the A.

WD used them because he didn't have anyone better and he knew they would provide decent support to the youngsters.

Only the lame brains on here failed to see that because sadly most of them know FA about the game and tended to look at the score and draw their impressions from the highlights then constantly embarrass themselves on CDC with the type of stuff EdgarM posted.

I have no doubt if Green is backed into a corner by the kind of injuries WD had to suffer he will be happy to use these types of players in order to get by.

These guys had their "tryout" last year. They failed and so someone else should have been given an opportunity. Baertchi and Grandlund were given the same opportunities and they "EARNED" their way on to the team. "Lame brains"? way to go preschool on me. :lol::lol::lol:

On 7/14/2017 at 10:08 AM, EdgarM said:

I was thinking the same, and do we really need 16 forwards? I assumed with the new FA acquisitions we did not need to see these two again. Will that affect some of the young guys getting called up?

I see 14 forwards on the roster I would like to see play before these two. Their not even entertaining to watch. Eeewww!!!!!

You would be surprised?  

You should not have any fear Megna & Chaput were signed to be in the top 14. They were signed first and foremost, in case the other guys are injured. And second, in case they don't live up to being in the top 14. They are here to play in Utica, Save disaster on a larger scale than last year. This year Jake has to beat Megna & Chaput, but also one of Burmistrov or Rodin, and as well as Goldobin. 

You should only have a fear the other guys are not worthy of being in the top 14. Chaput may not be able to score in the NHL? Chaput will on the other hand, have a job if those guys don't check.

On 7/14/2017 at 10:22 AM, EdgarM said:

How many "DEPTH PLAYER's"" do we need exactly? :lol:

Florida for example, signed Curtis Valk & Alex Grenier as their contracts expired July 1.  Megna & Chaput are, in reality, being penciled in to replace them in Utica.  That is useful for the reasons above. And to make our commitment to Utica viable.

Hell, pending any new move, Valk has a very legit shot at making Florida. I have him 5th on their depth chart unless they sign their draft pick Borgstrom.

Somebody else asked why give Chaput one way money?  He outperformed Valk last year. And has played well over 100 NHL games already. If a team like Florida was willing to pay one way money, I would suggest he would be there already.  Or Colorado. Or LA. There is quite a few NHL teams with crappy center depth. Less willing to pay money if they are in the AHL.

On 2017-07-13 at 2:30 PM, canuktravella said:

signing chaput and megna means we will be horrible again like you cant tell me theres  no other free agents with more skill than these two just seems like a waste of cap    

no, it means that the team, like every NHL franchise, has some viable depth and solid veterans at the AHL level.

Both of those guys were in the 16/17/18 range last year on the depth chart last year but the sheer volume of injuries meant they became callups and wound up playing signficant roles for the Canucks.

I think you're assuming that re-signing them means they're earmarked for a roster spot - which they no doubt are not - they would have to come in and earn a spot against pretty good competition imo, which they did not do last year.

That said  I think they're both decent and viable depth options that received a ridiculous amount of criticism last year for what they really are - and both played their roles as well as could have been expected, particularly Chaput, who proved that he is an NHL quality 4C.

6 minutes ago, oldnews said:

no, it means that the team, like every NHL franchise, has some viable depth and solid veterans at the AHL level.

Both of those guys were in the 16/17/18 range last year on the depth chart last year but the sheer volume of injuries meant they became callups and wound up playing signficant roles for the Canucks.

I think you're assuming that re-signing them means they're earmarked for a roster spot - which they no doubt are not - they would have to come in and earn a spot against pretty good competition imo, which they did not do last year.

That said  I think they're both decent and viable depth options that received a ridiculous amount of criticism last year for what they really are - and both played their roles as well as could have been expected, particularly Chaput, who proved that he is an NHL quality 4C.

Honestly ,

I would feel 100% better about Chaput if the other three lines were better than they performed last year, or just better 

2 hours ago, bobbyg43 said:

Honestly ,

I would feel 100% better about Chaput if the other three lines were better than they performed last year, or just better 

That is the nature of a rebuild, for better or for worse.

Of our most skilled and talented players status quo; Bo is a pleasant surprise, living up to his ceiling it appears, and his fundamental excellence. Tanev, ditto, albeit without the same ceiling. Granlund and Baertschi are also a pleasant surprise. Carving out effective NHL careers. But not looking like difference makers. 

Of our new generation; Petterson is two to three years away. Juolevi 1 to 2? Boeser just arriving, but too soon to have made his mark. Or set his bar. The coach will have to weave what Jake can do, he is a physical beast, into an effective deployment. But we need at least two, law of averages says three guys as advanced, and as successful, one of them probably more so, as Bo Horvat! Before we will have actually ''arrived'' as we did in 2009. To have several more still arrive where Granlund and Baertschi are.

To get there there will probably still take acquiring another 2 to 4 core players we have not even met yet?

44 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

That is the nature of a rebuild, for better or for worse.

Of our most skilled and talented players status quo; Bo is a pleasant surprise, living up to his ceiling it appears, and his fundamental excellence. Tanev, ditto, albeit without the same ceiling. Granlund and Baertschi are also a pleasant surprise. Carving out effective NHL careers. But not looking like difference makers. 

Of our new generation; Petterson is two to three years away. Juolevi 1 to 2? Boeser just arriving, but too soon to have made his mark. Or set his bar. The coach will have to weave what Jake can do, he is a physical beast, into an effective deployment. But we need at least two, law of averages says three guys as advanced, and as successful, one of them probably more so, as Bo Horvat! Before we will have actually ''arrived'' as we did in 2009. To have several more still arrive where Granlund and Baertschi are.

To get there there will probably still take acquiring another 2 to 4 core players we have not even met yet?

It is a longer process than fans seem to want to accept. 1st & 2nd Rounders are automatically labeled for huge rolls in a CUP contending team. I think you are accurate that the roster will need another 3 - 4 core players. The only young core player on the roster at this point is Horvat IMHO. Those on the verge are Baer, Granlund, Gudbranson and Hutton. The Canucks have a large group of players who will show this season whether they are likely to be legit NHLers. Further down there is now a legit pool of prospects in the junior, college and AHL ranks. We do not know what they will become. IMHO it is still a 4 - 5 year time line. 

10 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

It is a longer process than fans seem to want to accept. 1st & 2nd Rounders are automatically labeled for huge rolls in a CUP contending team. I think you are accurate that the roster will need another 3 - 4 core players. The only young core player on the roster at this point is Horvat IMHO. Those on the verge are Baer, Granlund, Gudbranson and Hutton. The Canucks have a large group of players who will show this season whether they are likely to be legit NHLers. Further down there is now a legit pool of prospects in the junior, college and AHL ranks. We do not know what they will become. IMHO it is still a 4 - 5 year time line. 

What I can buy in people's impatience, is the craving to see some of the speed & skill. Goldobin for example has it. I understand the urge to just let him roll it out on the fly.

The problem is, it remains impatience. Guys like Goldobin may have speed and skill. But he does need to check, to win board and net front battles. To back check, fore check. Willie, Travis Green & Utica's GM have all mentioned it. Those are, in spite of cravings, absolute requirements if he & others like him are to make it in the NHL. As are components of work ethic, training habits. Guys like Boeser seems to have a more mature game, and outlook which see's him more advanced on these things.

The Megna's of the world, less talent but put in the mature effort, are what we put up with, so we can force the correct development. On the guys that need to round out their game. No sense having a team of Nail Yakupov's...

6 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

What I can buy in people's impatience, is the craving to see some of the speed & skill. Goldobin for example has it. I understand the urge to just let him roll it out on the fly.

The problem is, it remains impatience. Guys like Goldobin may have speed and skill. But he does need to check, to win board and net front battles. To back check, fore check. Willie, Travis Green & Utica's GM have all mentioned it. Those are, in spite of cravings, absolute requirements if he & others like him are to make it in the NHL. As are components of work ethic, training habits. Guys like Boeser seems to have a more mature game, and outlook which see's him more advanced on these things.

The Megna's of the world, less talent but put in the mature effort, are what we put up with, so we can force the correct development. On the guys that need to round out their game. No sense having a team of Nail Yakupov's...

Very well said CanuckSurfer. I don't really care, at this point in the teams development, whether they win or lose but that they are at least entertaining. Bure was fun to watch in the beginning even though he was a "cherry picker" who had no sense of defense what so ever. His defense developed eventually but he was entertaining right from the get-go regardless.

Last year seemed like the young guys were not given a chance to play on the big club even for short periods of time to fill in for injuries. Instead, we got a healthy dose of WD's favorites which was very maddening. Tryamkin was not even considered until injuries gave him no alternative but to play him.

I am hoping the new coach has a better sense of player deployment and we are not stuck watching the "Plugs" play major minutes or the "pokey old fella's" try to keep up to the speed of the game most of the night. Somewhere in between would be nice but I hope to H*&^# there is not enough injuries to warrant these guys any amount of ice time with the big club.

11 hours ago, bobbyg43 said:

Honestly ,

What were the lines last year?

Horvat, Baertschi and the replacements?

When guys like Megna and Chaput - who start the season at 17/18 on the depth chart wind up playing 68 and 58 games, well that's a M.A.S.H. of a season.

Hoping at least their younger guys can stay healthy this year....

On 7/15/2017 at 2:26 AM, EdgarM said:

Wow I guess I failed to watch any games and that is my problem. Thanks for clarifying that for me bud. :lol: If you are OK watching these guys play and you can make excuses as to why they are entitled to be on the roster then go ahead and tell yourself whatever you want.

If I don't like how a player performs that is my prerogative to say so. I think as a mere fan I have that right.

To sit there and profess to me like your some hockey manager/coach Guru just makes laugh.

I watch hockey because it is entertaining and if its NOT, I am going to say so, plain and simple. Sorry but these guys do not score, do not fight or lay big checks. They are not super fast and do not have super slap shots. No talent so, ultimately, not very entertaining.

I guess you like watching PLUGS. Me? I guess I prefer a little more then that. :lol:

Watching and understanding what you are watching seem miles apart in your case and is beautifully illustrated by the emboldened text. 

On 7/15/2017 at 2:30 AM, EdgarM said:

These guys had their "tryout" last year. They failed and so someone else should have been given an opportunity. Baertchi and Grandlund were given the same opportunities and they "EARNED" their way on to the team. "Lame brains"? way to go preschool on me. :lol::lol::lol:

Every time you post it seems you are trying to embarrass yourself. Since when did Baertschi and Granlund become 4th liners? As I said above, you don't understand the game.

To say the 4th line failed is just ridiculous, as Boudrias said they often supplied the team with hustle and momentum.

4 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Every time you post it seems you are trying to embarrass yourself. Since when did Baertschi and Granlund become 4th liners? As I said above, you don't understand the game.

To say the 4th line failed is just ridiculous, as Boudrias said they often supplied the team with hustle and momentum.

Here we go again hey Alf? Embarrass myself because I want to be entertained by watching a sport? Are you just trying to again put yourself on your pedestal about how much of a hockey guru you are? You show me where I said Baert and Granlund were 4th liners. Please with all your wisdom show me this please!!!!!

Baert and Granlund were both given second chances "so to speak" and showed they can play as regulars in the NHL. I guess since Baertchi played on a line with the Sedins I guess he is considered a 4th liner hey Alf? :lol:

As far as I am concerned, Megna and Kaput had their "tryout" and did not earn "REGULAR" spots on a NHL CLUB!!!! Yes they are 4th liners and are "DEPTH" players so SIGN THEM TO MINOR LEAGUE CONTRACTS THEN!!!!!!!!!! Not sign them to NHL contracts. There are probably a few other "projects" similar to Baertchi and Grandlund who may have been given the same opportunity and could have panned out to be more than mere "plugs" .

BUT................that's stupid thinking isn't it Alf? Hustle and momentum. Please. That's the best compliment you can give them. Yeah lets sign them because they give us "hustle and momentum" ........too funny.

30 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Here we go again hey Alf? Embarrass myself because I want to be entertained by watching a sport? Are you just trying to again put yourself on your pedestal about how much of a hockey guru you are? You show me where I said Baert and Granlund were 4th liners. Please with all your wisdom show me this please!!!!!

Baert and Granlund were both given second chances "so to speak" and showed they can play as regulars in the NHL. I guess since Baertchi played on a line with the Sedins I guess he is considered a 4th liner hey Alf? :lol:

As far as I am concerned, Megna and Kaput had their "tryout" and did not earn "REGULAR" spots on a NHL CLUB!!!! Yes they are 4th liners and are "DEPTH" players so SIGN THEM TO MINOR LEAGUE CONTRACTS THEN!!!!!!!!!! Not sign them to NHL contracts. There are probably a few other "projects" similar to Baertchi and Grandlund who may have been given the same opportunity and could have panned out to be more than mere "plugs" .

BUT................that's stupid thinking isn't it Alf? Hustle and momentum. Please. That's the best compliment you can give them. Yeah lets sign them because they give us "hustle and momentum" ........too funny.

I'll leave you in your own little world Edgar. All these capitals, exclamations, parentheses seem to suggest you are not coping too well. I'm not here to upset you so I'll just say we have different ideas about the game.

16 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

I'll leave you in your own little world Edgar. All these capitals, exclamations, parentheses seem to suggest you are not coping too well. I'm not here to upset you so I'll just say we have different ideas about the game.

No, not upset there bud, but I agree we both take this "GAME" differently. Cheers. :)

On 7/15/2017 at 10:55 PM, EdgarM said:

Very well said CanuckSurfer. I don't really care, at this point in the teams development, whether they win or lose but that they are at least entertaining. Bure was fun to watch in the beginning even though he was a "cherry picker" who had no sense of defense what so ever. His defense developed eventually but he was entertaining right from the get-go regardless.

Last year seemed like the young guys were not given a chance to play on the big club even for short periods of time to fill in for injuries. Instead, we got a healthy dose of WD's favorites which was very maddening. Tryamkin was not even considered until injuries gave him no alternative but to play him.

I am hoping the new coach has a better sense of player deployment and we are not stuck watching the "Plugs" play major minutes or the "pokey old fella's" try to keep up to the speed of the game most of the night. Somewhere in between would be nice but I hope to H*&^# there is not enough injuries to warrant these guys any amount of ice time with the big club.

Here's how I see it...

First of all, a couple of factors here: 1) Megna and Chaput obviously played their roles decently enough for WD to rely on them. No matter or not whether you like WD doing this, I think it speaks volumes about Megna and Chaput in terms of their commitment to being reliable. Could we have hoped for more? Sure. But WD seemed like the type to want to play things safe which a lot of people on these boards seemed to dislike. His reaction to Goldobin's first goal immediately comes to mind when he was put on a leash afterwards.

2) WD obviously got fired. There could be tons of speculation on why. It could easily be for the same reasons I just mentioned. It could be other reasons. We'll likely never truly know and can only speculate. However, it does bring up the question on what Megna and Chaput's roles will be next year.

Having said all of this, I tend to be of the mindset that a young prospect should only be given a chance if it's deserved. We saw what happened to Virtanen with being just thrown into the mix (for the record, I think Virtanen will rebound at least, what as we won't know until we see lol). I guess it just depends on who we have available.

Here's what I don't want to see out of everything... I don't want to see players like Goldobin put on a leash simply because he rushed the ice and scored a goal. I realise we're not a good team at this point and need to play a lot of defense, but I really think there should be a little more breathing room to let players learn more than just defense. Goals like that bring confidence to goal scorers like Goldobin. Don't break the wind out of his sails. There are 4 other players on the ice. I'll admit that I'm no expert on this stuff, but couldn't there be a system at least to buckle down if the plan didn't work? Things worked with Bure and we didn't have a "good team" then arguably.

That being said, as far as Megna and Chaput goes. If they are used in a similar way, then that's 2 coaches doing the same thing and probably not the reason why WD was fired at that point. While I would love to see our prospects get more ice time, I realise there's also sometimes more than what we can see going on.

At the end of the day, I want to see the ice time deserved by our prospects and not be handed to them on a silver platter. It's for this reason why I don't mind seeing a bit of competition with these signings. If we just throw our prospects into the fire, we run the risk of establishing a lack of confidence in each prospect (or an over confidence even if they are not the most mature).

We need the leadership (I liked the Gagner signing for this reason). We need the drive (thus staying "competitive"). We need our prospects to have the right mentality when they finally make it. There's the cliche saying: Rome wasn't built in a day. To build Rome you need all of the above otherwise your civilization will never take off.

On ‎2017‎-‎07‎-‎17 at 11:10 AM, The Lock said:

Here's how I see it...

First of all, a couple of factors here: 1) Megna and Chaput obviously played their roles decently enough for WD to rely on them. No matter or not whether you like WD doing this, I think it speaks volumes about Megna and Chaput in terms of their commitment to being reliable. Could we have hoped for more? Sure. But WD seemed like the type to want to play things safe which a lot of people on these boards seemed to dislike. His reaction to Goldobin's first goal immediately comes to mind when he was put on a leash afterwards.

2) WD obviously got fired. There could be tons of speculation on why. It could easily be for the same reasons I just mentioned. It could be other reasons. We'll likely never truly know and can only speculate. However, it does bring up the question on what Megna and Chaput's roles will be next year.

Having said all of this, I tend to be of the mindset that a young prospect should only be given a chance if it's deserved. We saw what happened to Virtanen with being just thrown into the mix (for the record, I think Virtanen will rebound at least, what as we won't know until we see lol). I guess it just depends on who we have available.

Here's what I don't want to see out of everything... I don't want to see players like Goldobin put on a leash simply because he rushed the ice and scored a goal. I realise we're not a good team at this point and need to play a lot of defense, but I really think there should be a little more breathing room to let players learn more than just defense. Goals like that bring confidence to goal scorers like Goldobin. Don't break the wind out of his sails. There are 4 other players on the ice. I'll admit that I'm no expert on this stuff, but couldn't there be a system at least to buckle down if the plan didn't work? Things worked with Bure and we didn't have a "good team" then arguably.

That being said, as far as Megna and Chaput goes. If they are used in a similar way, then that's 2 coaches doing the same thing and probably not the reason why WD was fired at that point. While I would love to see our prospects get more ice time, I realise there's also sometimes more than what we can see going on.

At the end of the day, I want to see the ice time deserved by our prospects and not be handed to them on a silver platter. It's for this reason why I don't mind seeing a bit of competition with these signings. If we just throw our prospects into the fire, we run the risk of establishing a lack of confidence in each prospect (or an over confidence even if they are not the most mature).

We need the leadership (I liked the Gagner signing for this reason). We need the drive (thus staying "competitive"). We need our prospects to have the right mentality when they finally make it. There's the cliche saying: Rome wasn't built in a day. To build Rome you need all of the above otherwise your civilization will never take off.

I agree there is a time and place for playing the "plugs" and by how WD was fired I am assuming now isn't that time. If we are playing for the Cup then we need players like these guys to fill the roster. We are at a point where we are looking for players to fill the jobs in the top six who can score. Two players come to mind in Baert and Grandlund as potential top six forwards who may or may not fill positions there. Bo is developing nicely and the Sedins are getting closer to retirement. I believe we have a good mix of NHL regulars and young prospects to fill the roster. I believe we could have used the cap space on a player such as Yakupov who may or may not have filled a top six position. This would have been a more productive endeavour then to sign a couple of plugs with no upside potential.

Guys have been saying well they are "depth" players. Does a non-contending team need "depth" players? Most agree they are career AHLer's and that's where they should have signed contracts IMO.

Oh yeah and Alfstinker. if you can't say anything nice then don't say anything at all. Thanks :lol:

Archived