The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Michael Chaput

14 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

signing chaput and megna means we will be horrible again like you cant tell me theres  no other free agents with more skill than these two just seems like a waste of cap    

What exactly were you expecting this coming season?

30 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

They signing chaput and megna means we will be horrible again like you cant tell me theres  no other free agents with more skill than these two just seems like a waste of cap    

I would tend to agree, but I believe the plan is they are both AHL bound and will likely be the 1 - 2 centers on a young team that needs centers and experience.  They have proven at least capable at the AHL level and can provide some leadership. 

If you look at the number of forwards the Canucks have with one way contracts it makes sense that any 2 or 3 of Gaunce, Megna, Chaput or Boucher are likely to be sent down. If Virtanen and Boeser have good camps all 4 of them could potentially be sent down depending on Dorsett.

They have 16 forwards under one way contract once Boucher is (if he is) extended with only 1 waiver eligible - Boeser.  15 if Dorsett can't go because of his neck. 

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Doubt they risk losing Gaunce to waivers. He's at that critical stage in his development where they'll wanna see what they have with him.

If they send him down during training Camp he's unlikely to get claimed because all the teams already have their own problems to get down to a 23 man roster let alone bringing another guy

im hoping burmy will out play him for the 13th forward spot

1 hour ago, canuktravella said:

signing chaput and megna means we will be horrible again like you cant tell me theres  no other free agents with more skill than these two just seems like a waste of cap    

We signed five free agents on July 1st, two of which are centers. Chaput and Megna are depth players, not guys the team is counting on to step up.

nothing wrong with this hunger contract

it makes camp more competitive and if he needs to be sent down, so be it.

Not really a big deal for us fans especially since we have the cap space... maybe a bigger deal to a rookie prospect who's trying to make the team.

hopefully it makes the kids hungrier

2 hours ago, billabong said:

If they send him down during training Camp he's unlikely to get claimed because all the teams already have their own problems to get down to a 23 man roster let alone bringing another guy

im hoping burmy will out play him for the 13th forward spot

And we thought Corrado and Volpatti would clear too.

No point sacrificing depth we don't need to.  

If Boucher can't beat out Rodin, Boeser, and Granlund, he deserves to be waived over Gaunce. We'll need center depth more than depth on right wing.

2 hours ago, canuktravella said:

I was thinking the same, and do we really need 16 forwards? I assumed with the new FA acquisitions we did not need to see these two again. Will that affect some of the young guys getting called up?

I see 14 forwards on the roster I would like to see play before these two. Their not even entertaining to watch. Eeewww!!!!!

11 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I was thinking the same, and do we really need 16 forwards? I assumed with the new FA acquisitions we did not need to see these two again. Will that affect some of the young guys getting called up?

I see 14 forwards on the roster I would like to see play before these two. Their not even entertaining to watch. Eeewww!!!!!

Once more, for people in the back:

HE'S A DEPTH PLAYER

Archived