The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

4 Unforgettable Moments From 2016-17 ?

Nuxfanabroad

19 minutes ago, nergish said:

My greatest takeaway from the past season was the goaltending.

Miller was great. In my many years as a fan, that was some of the tightest netminding I've seen. Very few errors, and several games stolen.

But it was also Markstrom. He is a talented netminder in his own right, and plays his best when he's feeling confident. Massive frame, subtle movements. I think he and Nilsson will provide the necessary goaltending next year, with an upside for both guys to actually shine in some way.

Sure hope you're right. We need a wall, about now.

Just now, Nuxfanabroad said:

Sure hope you're right. We need a wall, about now.

Yeah. Don't get me wrong, the guy is anything but proven. He could fold under the pressure, it may happen. 

But there is skill there with both guys. They understand the position - if they try to play to their size they'll continue to have jobs. I see both guys performing admirably.

I hope Markstrom plays well enough to grab hold of the starting position, but I hope Nilsson is pushing him at every turn.

I also hope Demko gets a little sniff mid-season after performing well in the AHL for another stretch.

Marky doesn't even have an NHL shutout, Thatcher is the kind of kid who could get one in his debut. Backpocket ace; we'll be using him any time between this season and the 2019-20 season. Impossible to say when, but it will come. Our goaltending is just fine.

The highlight of the year for me were when Ryan Miller stuck up for Troy Stecher against Matt Martin on Nov 5,2016. Class act,great team mate and my favorite Canuck in his 3 years here. Wish Miller all the best this coming season.

I agree with most of the above, especially Millar going out to protect Stech. Also his wonder save against Detroit where even the Detroit fans cheered him. I really can't understand the thinking behind letting one of the best (if not the best) goalies we have ever had, go when he could have anchored our young team for another 3 years.

Tanev's OT goal against Calgary.

But in all honesty I actually enjoyed most of the games last season. Imo we usually played well but hardly ever got the breaks. I loved how our young players competed night after night without flagging, that to me it showed the character we have in this team.

20 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

And the look on the face to go with it. 

loui-meme.png

Think I'll have a drink in this 4 drink-limit bar of nostalgia B)

1. Sedins 1K goal

2. Above picture... one of the best sporting photos ever to sum up a season...

3. Hansen v T.O.  Getting floored and yet fight Kadri after his hit on Sedin  ... Hope to see others follow suit. Don't care if they win, just want them to stand up for one another.

4. Miller v Martin... see above.

Honorary mention... Our rotten luck in the draft system..

15 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Yeah..Osaka/Kyoto for about 2 decades.

Nice . I visited both cities when I was there, many moons ago.  Kyoto is amazing and the only thing I remember from Osaka was a bicycle themed amusement park.  

2 hours ago, FilthyRich said:

Nice . I visited both cities when I was there, many moons ago.  Kyoto is amazing and the only thing I remember from Osaka was a bicycle themed amusement park.  

Ha, the Missus & I took the rug-rats down there(when they were kids!), over a decade back. It's in Kawachinagano(South Osaka) I believe. Also remember traffic(coming home) was a b*tch, that day.

Kyoto is paradise. The road cycling IS amazing. Just love the place, but the secret's gotten out(very busy these days).

On 8/4/2017 at 4:44 PM, NUCKER67 said:

I also like Goldobin's 1st Canucks goal, breakaway.

Was a likable moment as well, a bit of cockiness from his tweet, but he proved it too. Now I can't get upset with Willie with the aftermath because I understand why.

First and for most, the phenom... the legend... 1 half of the greatest duo in the history of duo's... Lord Hernik reaching 1K. 

2, 3, 4 for me where the come backs staged early on in the year... to start the year 4-0. That was as good as it got... such exciting hockey, epic come backs and huge wins.

To bad it stopped at 4-0. 

Actually sorry I forgot probably one of my favourite all time moments in Canucks hockey... Ryan Miller dropping the gloves vs that scum bag Martin. What a man. I'll love Ryan till I die. 

Archived