The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDC Puck 2017/18

2 hours ago, Sestito'sHandMadeVodka said:

Why do they struggle so much? Is it just bobrovsky playing well? Ovi looked goddamn remarkable, and still couldn't get it done

Bobs must have been good, as the Caps had almost 60 shots.

If they had started Holtby like they should have, they could be up 2-0. That's not the answer to all their problems though. (I'm not sure what else they can really do)

22 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Wow, CBJ up 2 zip and heading to Columbus with a commanding lead, home ice.

It's remarkable they won two on the road - particularly with the leaugue's worst road powerplay (although it did come through in the clutch in game 2).

Not sure how Torture-fella manages to come up with the 30th powerplay in the NHL with players like Werenski, Panarin, Atkinson, Jones, Dubois, Wennberg, Bjorkistrand.....

I guess the dzone collapse isn't very effective 5 on 4 lol.

Anyhow - I have a strange soft spot for Torts (although I think in many ways he's just not a very good coach - and was plain horrible here).  I'd be curious to see what someone else could do with that group in Columbus.

8 hours ago, oldnews said:

It's remarkable they won two on the road - particularly with the leaugue's worst road powerplay (although it did come through in the clutch in game 2).

Not sure how Torture-fella manages to come up with the 30th powerplay in the NHL with players like Werenski, Panarin, Atkinson, Jones, Dubois, Wennberg, Bjorkistrand.....

I guess the dzone collapse isn't very effective 5 on 4 lol.

Anyhow - I have a strange soft spot for Torts (although I think in many ways he's just not a very good coach - and was plain horrible here).  I'd be curious to see what someone else could do with that group in Columbus.

I think torts did a lot of soul searching after Vancouver, and is now a much better coach. Still on the defensive responsibility, but also aware that he needs to use different moulds for different players. Not making panarin shot block like he did the sedins.

As for the power play, most head coaches don't have that much to do with it-in Columbus, it's Brad Larsen. I know the buck stops with the head guy, but he can't Micro-manage everything 

4 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Or not?  :lol:

Honestly, after the $&!# they pulled, the slashes, cross checks, boardings as SJ just tries to wind the game down, I want Anaheim to be swept and out of the playoffs, ASAP.  Coaches should be fined, and the entire organization should be told that if that happens again they're forfeiting picks. 

2 hours ago, Sestito'sHandMadeVodka said:

Honestly, after the $&!# they pulled, the slashes, cross checks, boardings as SJ just tries to wind the game down, I want Anaheim to be swept and out of the playoffs, ASAP.  Coaches should be fined, and the entire organization should be told that if that happens again they're forfeiting picks. 

I feel the same about Nashville after Subban on MacKinnon.

8 hours ago, Sestito'sHandMadeVodka said:

I think torts did a lot of soul searching after Vancouver, and is now a much better coach. Still on the defensive responsibility, but also aware that he needs to use different moulds for different players. Not making panarin shot block like he did the sedins.

As for the power play, most head coaches don't have that much to do with it-in Columbus, it's Brad Larsen. I know the buck stops with the head guy, but he can't Micro-manage everything 

I'm not sure about that.  He says the right things - as he did when he arrived here - but then he turns around and picks public fights with Scott Hartnells regardless.  He does appear to have slowly 'evolved' in his time in Columbus (but part of me hopes he never loses that urge to rip into media at times lol).

I think maybe him witnessing what Sullivan did might have been an eye-opener.  Sullivan's comments about how working in Detroit fundamentally changed his approach and mindset were pretty interesting, as was the unconventional systems approach he took with the Penguins, with marked success (totally uncharacteristic of the Sullivan that was Torts' sidekick for years).

So perhaps Torts is somewhat changed, but you still see symptoms of the 'stale" old Torts lol.  Things like Columbus being the lowest scoring team in the EC playoffs despite a pretty gifted offensive group....He has a deep club to work with, but still tends to ride his key guys - and it looked like it may come back to bite him again - his teams tend to fit a pattern of strong starts and then fade - but they managed to recover and slip back into a playoff spot this year.

I feel bad for Washington (and I have Carlson who it would hurt to lose in round 1 again - and again - and Burakovsky) - but I'm still pulling for Columbus and Torts in that series although I think Sullivan may be the better coach at this point (Pitt may have a great forward group, but winning with the bluelines they've had is pretty impressive imo).

cover1.jpg

So far, so great in Columbus. Even though Nazem Kadri has missed most of the series, Brad Marchand and Joe Pavelski have gone into full beast-mode, putting up nearly 10 Fpts/gm each. Sergei Bobrovsky is showing he can get it done in the playoffs, now that he's not playing Pittsburgh. Patrick Marleau is proving to Leafs Nation that he was possibly worth that crazy contract. Eric Staal, Matt Niskanen, and Ian Cole have carried over the same strong pace they had down the stretch into the post season.

We've also been getting fantastic contributions from unsuspected sources: Oscar Fantenberg (6.42 Fpts/gm!), and William Carrier (4.33). Heading into the playoffs, Fantenberg had been in the AHL, and Carrier rehabbing from an injury, so we weren't even sure if either would play. But they have not only played - they've both been hitting machines.

Matt Read was another slightly surprising call-up, and he has 2.75 Fpts/gm in the playoffs so far. However, the other 3 players we snagged from @Art Vandelay at the deadline haven't produced anything in the postseason (Dan Hamhuis...who obviously missed; Joel Ward Barclay Goodrow...scratches so far). Phil Kessel, who has a long history of being clutch in the playoffs, hasn't done much yet. Neither has our Tampa top pairing (Hedman & Girardi). So there is still a lot of potential for improvement.

We have to tip our hat though, because @Phil The Thrill's boys are putting up a helluva fight. The Flyers are at 5.88 Fpts/game, but they just don't have enough playoff players this time around. But Phil has some great young players and prospects, so we expect him to be an even tougher out next time.

28 minutes ago, D-Money said:

However, the other 3 players we snagged from @Art Vandelay at the deadline haven't produced anything in the postseason (Dan Hamhuis...who obviously missed; Joel Ward Barclay Goodrow...scratches so far).

Hey now! I did not give you Mr. Broccoli Goodrow. I would never give up Mr. Broccoli if I had him. 

Also, congrats to my contingent of WHL prospects; Hart, Geekie, Heponiemi, Steenbergen, Sissons, Gawdin. All of whom have advanced to the conference finals in the playoffs. I suspect Everett will be the eventual winners to advance to the Memorial cup. Hart seems to be unstoppable. 

7 hours ago, Sestito'sHandMadeVodka said:

I was actually off handily referring to my own CDC Puck Bruins not ''coming back?'' Symbolically on the back of Corey Perry inclusive.

But come see, come saw I guess, their both the same... 

5 hours ago, Captain Azzy said:

I feel the same about Nashville after Subban on MacKinnon.

Montour, Perry & others on the Ducks were probably more vicious in their penalties. I believe Subban needed to draw at least a penalty, possibly also a misconduct.  Not calling one sent the wrong message. I don't think it was that horrible, but games get out of hand if you don't make calls. Just as aa penalty should have been called on Marchand against Sedin in 2011. I suppose a fine could point that out after the fact?

The difference is the Ducks were in full pout mode. No longer trying to compete. ''We're gong to lose so I am gong to whack you!'' I agree with Sestito that it should draw the attention of the DOPS. It would be precedent setting, but a suspension for game 4 send a powerful message.  But certainly a fine, which then positions him for higher level penalties if he re-offends. 

Gotta be honest... really not happy with how playoffs have gone. Team has been really bad. Most guys haven't shown up for the playoffs yet. I may only just squeak out of the first round. 

Dunno where I have really gone wrong. Since trade deadline it's been a trend downward... really sucks as I was hoping to go far this year. Here is to hoping the guys get their act together and make something out of these playoffs!

Archived