The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Woman Puts Ex-Boyfriend's Name on Title to Avoid Foreign Buyers Tax, Now Wants it Back

DonLever

6 hours ago, DonLever said:

Here is a funny story:

https://globalnews.ca/news/3760374/hong-kong-woman-bc-land-title/

A Hong Kong woman who says she bought a house in Richmond, B.C. and put it in her boyfriend’s name to dodge B.C.’s 15 per cent foreign buyers’ tax, is suing the now ex-boyfriend to get the house back.

The woman says she’s living a relationship nightmare trying to move her ex-boyfriend out of the home she claims she paid for, documents filed in B.C. Supreme Court claim.

The only problem: his name is on the land title and the mortgage.

Jennie Wu and Johnny Chu began dating in the fall of 2016. Chu, a flight attendant, met Wu in the business section of a flight between Hong Kong and Vancouver.

Wu, a Hong Kong businesswoman, claimed she frequently travels to Vancouver for work and wanted to own a home in the region so that she had a place to live while in town.

But Wu, who lives in Hong Kong, didn’t want to pay B.C.’s 15 per cent foreign buyers tax, court documents said.

Chu is from Richmond, and Wu claims he helped her buy a home in the city by putting the land title and mortgage under his name.

Online real estate listings described a property at the same address as a two-storey home with a triple garage, five bathrooms and four bedrooms.

But Wu claimed that, despite never being named in the paperwork, she paid for the home and all associated costs — including this year’s property taxes — with her own cash.

According to Wu’s suit, Chu has lived in the home since she allegedly bought it.

The hitch? The couple broke up in August, and Wu claimed Chu is still living in the home and refuses to leave or transfer the property back to her, court documents said.

Despite the dispute, Wu claims she still stays in the house while visiting Canada, though the pair does not sleep together, but in separate beds.

Wu is suing Chu in BC Supreme Court and wants exclusive possession of the home and compensation for unlawful occupation of the property.

None of the allegations have been proven in court.

So she has lost the house AND she isn't getting any action on top of that...  :lol:

17 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

Man...this city is really falling fast and hard into the sewer...

Vancouver is a shell of its former self.

I loved living in Vancouver pre expo 86.   Now Vancouver is a dump.   No real sense of community in Vancity.  City of strangers....

3 hours ago, HI5 said:

For whatever reason I tend to get harassed more entering Canada rather than the States. 

Got a $100 fine one time I crossed the border for a day and came back with nothing but a bottle of vodka. Wasn't aware that I had to be in the U.S. for 24 hours minimum or whatever though. 

Last few times I said I brought back souvenirs of under $100. Had my bags searched once when I came from Mexico and another time from my trip to Indonesia. 

Last time I was grilled about my occupation as the CBSA officer didn't believe I worked for the federal government.

Oh yeah, they are an interesting bunch.  It's a hit or miss at YVR if they will ask questions or not.  This one particular crossing is such a delight when I get to speak with them... I don't get asked anything when I fly to Montreal, and am asked 1 or 2 questions when take the boat to Victoria. 

2 hours ago, Green Building said:

Something about this story doesn't add up. I'm curious, did you have the bottle in your bag and not declare it thinking you were ok and then have them find it? Or did you declare it and get a fine after doing so? 

This situation was by vehicle, I had gone in around the Seattle Premium outlets for the first time. Cameback empty handed, so not like I lied about buying clothes. 

Was going to head straight to a buddies place so figured I'd grab a bottle beforehand and it just seemed more convenient at the time. When asked if I bought anything while over the border I just told him a bottle of vodka. 

It was a strange encounter though cause he asked me quite a few questions and kept opening and closing my doors. Felt like supertroopers but I was sober..after a few minutes he told me I had to come in and pay duty taxes on the bottle. Charged me like double of what the cost of the bottle actually was. 

5 minutes ago, HI5 said:

This situation was by vehicle, I had gone in around the Seattle Premium outlets for the first time. Cameback empty handed, so not like I lied about buying clothes. 

Was going to head straight to a buddies place so figured I'd grab a bottle beforehand and it just seemed more convenient at the time. When asked if I bought anything while over the border I just told him a bottle of vodka. 

It was a strange encounter though cause he asked me quite a few questions and kept opening and closing my doors. Felt like supertroopers but I was sober..after a few minutes he told me I had to come in and pay duty taxes on the bottle. Charged me like double of what the cost of the bottle actually was. 

Should have just chugged the bottle in the customs office and avoided the duty.  Then called a friend for a ride home......

51 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Broken BC

I blame the BC Liberal Party. 

i do too. this whole $&!# storm happened on their watch but they did nothing about it. they literally sold out millions of people so that a few hundred of them could get rich. if there is any justice ( which we all know there isn't ) documents will be released that land those people in jail.

3 minutes ago, Nucksfollower1983 said:

i do too. this whole $&!# storm happened on their watch but they did nothing about it. they literally sold out millions of people so that a few hundred of them could get rich. if there is any justice ( which we all know there isn't ) documents will be released that land those people in jail.

Yup, we in BC are all chumps for sitting back and watching it happen.  We failed the young people / young adults wanting to enter the housing market  in BC that now have to deal with this crap...

I know local real estate industry officials were party fundraising organizers for BC liberals in a riding near my place. 

I wonder if it was because the real estate people approved of liberal policy on environmental issues....?

#BrokenBC 

So you didn't actually pay a fine, you just paid the taxes, right? I'd be shocked if it was $100 unless it was an expensive bottle, but double the cost of the bottle I would believe as I've declared scotch, wine, and beer over my limit and have paid the tax on it when necessary. I hate it to death, but having it confiscated is not something I want either. 

I declared a box of rare wines (to Canada, anyways) on my way home and the border guard yelled at me saying "YOU HAVEN"T DECLARED THEM, THAT"S MY JOB". Previous to his arrogant outburst, and my declaration right to his stupid face, I placed the box of wine right on the counter in front of him. To be honest I was just happy he didn't grab it and put it in the back room right away, although, if he shoved it up his ass I would have let him keep it without formal complaint.

I ended up continuing my legal declaration of liquor at customs (where the mouth breathing dink directed me to, and which I knew he would since it wasn't my first customs rodeo) and they gave me an honesty discount since the tax was actually quite high. I brought back a case, and they gave me a few bottles tax free. Better than nothing, but the liquor tax laws here are $&!#.

1) Make money illicitly in your home country. 

2) Apply for immigration to Canada

3) Bring money to Canada.

4) Make investments mostly in real estate.

5) Repeat and skip step 2. 

The politicians and elites love it. The average person won't see a dime of that money but will be forced to pay outrageous prices if they wish to own a home. Someone said that these people don't care about Canada, on the contrary they love this country. They get to clean up all their dirty money and our politicians will always encourage them to bring over more. They get to live a nice life, don't have to pay taxes, don't have to support our communities and reap the rewards of living in an amazing city and live lives that locals can only dream of. Keep in mind not all immigrants are like this, most come here and toil away like the rest of us. 

13 hours ago, Alflives said:

Kind of pulling for the guy to get the house, and the lady to get nothing.  

I can see him keeping the house, as what proof does she have that it should be hers?  But if he gets something serious out of this (felony conviction), that might be enough to scare others into not doing something like this in the future.  

Of course, if he does get to keep the house, ending up with $1M+ might be enough reward for someone to take that chance.

I agree she should get nothing here.  Except legal punishment, of course.

10 hours ago, Green Building said:

So you didn't actually pay a fine, you just paid the taxes, right? I'd be shocked if it was $100 unless it was an expensive bottle, but double the cost of the bottle I would believe as I've declared scotch, wine, and beer over my limit and have paid the tax on it when necessary. I hate it to death, but having it confiscated is not something I want either. 

I declared a box of rare wines (to Canada, anyways) on my way home and the border guard yelled at me saying "YOU HAVEN"T DECLARED THEM, THAT"S MY JOB". Previous to his arrogant outburst, and my declaration right to his stupid face, I placed the box of wine right on the counter in front of him. To be honest I was just happy he didn't grab it and put it in the back room right away, although, if he shoved it up his ass I would have let him keep it without formal complaint.

I ended up continuing my legal declaration of liquor at customs (where the mouth breathing dink directed me to, and which I knew he would since it wasn't my first customs rodeo) and they gave me an honesty discount since the tax was actually quite high. I brought back a case, and they gave me a few bottles tax free. Better than nothing, but the liquor tax laws here are $&!#.

Amen, brother!  I went to a party in WA many years back, and we didn't finish the liquor we bought.  Figured we would take it home, knowing we would have to declare it, and that we weren't down long enough to get any exemption.  Turned out paying as much in duty for the leftover liquor as we did for the original bottle, so it was like we paid for the whole thing in Canada anyhow.

And yeah, customs people can sure be dicks.  I used to travel to Japan a lot, and after a number of trips, one guy decided to give me a hard time with some snack food that I had with me (that I bought at home but never finished on my trip).  "YOU HAVE TO DECLARE ALL FOOD, IT'S A CRIME!!!"  Yes, he raised his voice.  Ever since, I do declare my snacks, and half the agents I deal with now roll their eyes because they don't give a crap.  Gotta love someone in a pseudo position of power who let it go to his head.

28 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Amen, brother!  I went to a party in WA many years back, and we didn't finish the liquor we bought.  Figured we would take it home, knowing we would have to declare it, and that we weren't down long enough to get any exemption.  Turned out paying as much in duty for the leftover liquor as we did for the original bottle, so it was like we paid for the whole thing in Canada anyhow.

And yeah, customs people can sure be dicks.  I used to travel to Japan a lot, and after a number of trips, one guy decided to give me a hard time with some snack food that I had with me (that I bought at home but never finished on my trip).  "YOU HAVE TO DECLARE ALL FOOD, IT'S A CRIME!!!"  Yes, he raised his voice.  Ever since, I do declare my snacks, and half the agents I deal with now roll their eyes because they don't give a crap.  Gotta love someone in a pseudo position of power who let it go to his head.

Isn't it funny how they're trained to do a specific job but can display vastly different personalities? I don't envy them, it's not a job I'd want. Working for the CBSA scanning packages might be interesting, although staring at an ever increasing pile of parcels might be daunting. 

I brought back some exotic fruit from my last trip out of town. Bought it at a market on the way to the airport. I thought about sneaking it in, and had nothing else I was hiding, but ultimately declared it as I knew it should technically be allowed as it doesn't grow here. The conversation I had once I presented my ticket to the first agent was amusing to me:

Her, pleasantly: It says you're declaring some food items? What are they?

Me, honestly: Mangosteens and rambutans, about 2 kilos worth.

Her, confused as hell: Mangowhats?

Me: Mangosteens:

Her: ...

Me: They're just a small fruit.

Her: I'm just going to put down 1 mango, take this ticket over to that agent there and tell him what you told me

Me: Ok, but I don't have any mangoes, that's a completely different fruit.

Her: That's ok, thanks

----------------------------------

As I was walking to the next agent I thought to myself "Have I just, through absolutely no fault of my own, lied to a customs agent? Well, this should be interesting". The next guy didn't press to hard to find out what I had either as he was too busy trying to figure out if I was smuggling something other than fruit back into Canada. He wasn't too confident with his line of questioning, but both he and the other lady were quite pleasant. The thing that surprised me the most about it is that I declared I was bringing something back into the country that 2 customs agents had never heard of, so why didn't at least 1 of them ask me to show them, even out of curiosity?

Damn, I want mangosteens now.

3 minutes ago, Green Building said:
Spoiler

Isn't it funny how they're trained to do a specific job but can display vastly different personalities? I don't envy them, it's not a job I'd want. Working for the CBSA scanning packages might be interesting, although staring at an ever increasing pile of parcels might be daunting. 

I brought back some exotic fruit from my last trip out of town. Bought it at a market on the way to the airport. I thought about sneaking it in, and had nothing else I was hiding, but ultimately declared it as I knew it should technically be allowed as it doesn't grow here. The conversation I had once I presented my ticket to the first agent was amusing to me:

Her, pleasantly: It says you're declaring some food items? What are they?

Me, honestly: Mangosteens and rambutans, about 2 kilos worth.

Her, confused as hell: Mangowhats?

Me: Mangosteens:

Her: ...

Me: They're just a small fruit.

Her: I'm just going to put down 1 mango, take this ticket over to that agent there and tell him what you told me

Me: Ok, but I don't have any mangoes, that's a completely different fruit.

Her: That's ok, thanks

----------------------------------

As I was walking to the next agent I thought to myself "Have I just, through absolutely no fault of my own, lied to a customs agent? Well, this should be interesting". The next guy didn't press to hard to find out what I had either as he was too busy trying to figure out if I was smuggling something other than fruit back into Canada. He wasn't too confident with his line of questioning, but both he and the other lady were quite pleasant. The thing that surprised me the most about it is that I declared I was bringing something back into the country that 2 customs agents had never heard of, so why didn't at least 1 of them ask me to show them, even out of curiosity?

Damn, I want mangosteens now.

Wow, that's crazy.  I'd say it is hard to believe, but coasting in a government job is all too common.  While I'm confident that there would be no way I could do something like that bringing fruit into CA by airport, however, we also have inspection sites on freeways near-ish some of the state borders.  There's one on the way to Vegas.  It is always running, but I've never been asked a question.  They just look at you and let you go.  Looks like they stop a lot of truckers though.

At least you got a good deal on some fruit!

5 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Wow, that's crazy.  I'd say it is hard to believe, but coasting in a government job is all too common.  While I'm confident that there would be no way I could do something like that bringing fruit into CA by airport, however, we also have inspection sites on freeways near-ish some of the state borders.  There's one on the way to Vegas.  It is always running, but I've never been asked a question.  They just look at you and let you go.  Looks like they stop a lot of truckers though.

At least you got a good deal on some fruit!

I understand why people can't bring stuff in from another country, foreign pests, diseases and what not, but from what I've read those inspection stations in California are just for show. On busy days where congestion is measured by odometer they just end up waving people through to try and thin the lines. What's the point of it all then? Either do it, or don't. What's the point of stopping a boat with mussels on its prop if you're just going to allow 400 cars of kids each with a jar of bugs they're going to dump out as soon as they get home? 

I'm all for protecting California's agriculture though so maybe that's too simplistic of a breakdown. 

1 minute ago, Green Building said:

I understand why people can't bring stuff in from another country, foreign pests, diseases and what not, but from what I've read those inspection stations in California are just for show. On busy days where congestion is measured by odometer they just end up waving people through to try and thin the lines. What's the point of it all then? Either do it, or don't. What's the point of stopping a boat with mussels on its prop if you're just going to allow 400 cars of kids each with a jar of bugs they're going to dump out as soon as they get home? 

I'm all for protecting California's agriculture though so maybe that's too simplistic of a breakdown. 

I agree.  I guess it all comes down to how important it is.  If they need to inspect more, and can't keep up with traffic, then add more inspectors or revamp processes to make things more efficient.

I think it all started back with the med fly problem a few decades back.  Maybe they feel that the problem is more manageable now, so enforcement can be relaxed.  Seems like they're just asking for trouble, but who am I to say.  The flies can still be found here, but I guess they haven't made much of a comeback, hence the half-effort in prevention.  Sure would hate to see the line of people coming back from Vegas though if they did have to enforce inspections.  The drive is bad enough now on Sundays that I make sure I come home mid-week to avoid it.

12 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Yup, we in BC are all chumps for sitting back and watching it happen.  We failed the young people / young adults wanting to enter the housing market  in BC that now have to deal with this crap...

I know local real estate industry officials were party fundraising organizers for BC liberals in a riding near my place. 

I wonder if it was because the real estate people approved of liberal policy on environmental issues....?

#BrokenBC 

yup. $1400 for a basement suite in Abby an old friend of mine is paying for.. another listed at $950.. average house price about 700k now. I really don't see the point of moving out any time soon here as a young person. Grossly overpaying like this doesn't help you at all.. just bank your money instead and hope prices eventually plummet.. 

Archived