The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nail Yakupov, should we have signed him?

Ichiban604

21 minutes ago, Ichiban604 said:

Season is young but Nail having a strong start. 3 games, 3 goals and 2 assists.

We chose not to sign him in the summer, although Nail publicly stated he have interest in the Canucks. I'll pulling for Nail, he been through a tough few years to his career!

Burmistrov was the better signing as he was signed and earned a bottom role in the lineup. Yakupov needs more minutes to be effective, Burmistrov can play lol

19 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Over Brum? 

Nail was as cheap as they come and has that untapped talent in there somewhere.

Yes, but not losing any sleep over it. Not a wink. 

not me, I haven't slept since it was announced the Avs signed him :( 

22 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Nyet.

Its nice he's having some early success but all signs pointed to attitude problems and who would you take out for him?

I disagree with this. His development was hampered by being in a dysfunctional organization but there were no problems with his effort level. He just wasn't very good. 3 games isn't enough to come to a conclusion that has changed either. 2 of his goals I believe were pretty lucky ones.

1 minute ago, Toews said:

I disagree with this. His development was hampered by being in a dysfunctional organization but there were no problems with his effort level. He just wasn't very good. 3 games isn't enough to come to a conclusion that has changed either. 2 of his goals I believe were pretty lucky ones.

so why the snubs and open negative commentary from his national team? seems like they would have wanted him if the effort was there. 

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/russian-coach-slams-yakupov-says-his-absence-helped-russia-medal-at-world-championship

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

so why the snubs and open negative commentary from his national team? seems like they would have wanted him if the effort was there. 

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/russian-coach-slams-yakupov-says-his-absence-helped-russia-medal-at-world-championship

I would rather go by his track record in the NHL than trust a Russian coach. He hasn't been a good player but there have been no reports that he has been a malcontent. He is a soft target for criticism as well, former #1 pick, Russian etc. and yet we haven't heard anything of the sort from his coaches or even rumblings in the media. Yakupov issues are mostly on the ice than off of it IMO, we would have heard otherwise if that wasn't the case like Radulov, Kostitsyn, Kovalev etc.

3 minutes ago, Toews said:

I would rather go by his track record in the NHL than trust a Russian coach. He hasn't been a good player but there have been no reports that he has been a malcontent. He is a soft target for criticism as well, former #1 pick, Russian etc. and yet we haven't heard anything of the sort from his coaches or even rumblings in the media. Yakupov issues are mostly on the ice than off of it IMO, we would have heard otherwise if that wasn't the case like Radulov, Kostitsyn, Kovalev etc.

fair enough. Either way I'm ok with not picking him up. 

1 hour ago, zzbottom said:

Should we judge everyone off three games? Is Matt Duchene's value at an all-time high? Dude is projected to have over 80 points!! 

If only Colorado played in the Eastern Conference. 

for sure we should judge after such a short window

i mean ovi is for sure gonna score over 300 goals this year

bank on it :P

Na thanks. No room and I wouldn't waive or bench anyone on our lineup for him. We need Dorsett, Burmy, and Virtanen out there on shut down agitation pest duty more than we need Yaks one dimensional play. Lets get Boeser in the line up before we worry about missing the Yak boat.

4 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Nyet.

Its nice he's having some early success but all signs pointed to attitude problems and who would you take out for him?

Nail has NEVER had an attitude problem..  He's been mishandled his entire pro career.

I wanted the Canucks to take a chance on him.  The Canucks were his favorite team growing up,  and when a young player with as much potential as Nail has wants to sign,  you take the chance.  If he fails, he fails,  but if he improves,  you could gain A LOT.  He's looking deadly so far in Colorado.

3 hours ago, apollo said:

You know 2 of his goals were into empty nets right?

Yeah but at least they went in the opposing net:o 

Not that the coilers care but this is a nightmare scenario.  You draft a player, deem him a bust, trade him for dirt cheap, then he finds his game on another team in your conference.  Let's not have this happen to any of our prospects Jimbo.

Archived