The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Derrick Pouliot | #5 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

Admist all the craze with the Pettersson injury, I thought it was lost that Pouliot had a really good game last night against Florida. He really does have his moments; his problem is consistency.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Admist all the craze with the Pettersson injury, I thought it was lost that Pouliot had a really good game last night against Florida. He really does have his moments; his problem is consistency.

I agree. Pouliot looked good, and strong too.  He appears to have a build well suited to being strong on pucks.  Plus, he has the puck skills to keep his head up, so he can make good plays.  Pouliot is clearly better than MDZ.  Does Hutton sit out, or does MDZ?

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I agree. Pouliot looked good, and strong too.  He appears to have a build well suited to being strong on pucks.  Plus, he has the puck skills to keep his head up, so he can make good plays.  Pouliot is clearly better than MDZ.  Does Hutton sit out, or does MDZ?

Depends on Pouliot's consistency. If he continues to play like last night, he's far better than both of those guys, but I've seen plenty of nights where Pouliot is doing everything wrong. We'll see how he does over an extended stretch of games.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Depends on Pouliot's consistency. If he continues to play like last night, he's far better than both of those guys, but I've seen plenty of nights where Pouliot is doing everything wrong. We'll see how he does over an extended stretch of games.

I thought he played a good game as well... until the Petterson incident then he should have charged in there and punched the Florida player in the mouth.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry, I know DP was +3, had the game winner and played 25 mins last night, but he just isn't an NHL player in my eyes. Misses assignments, regularly coughs up the puck, his passes are almost never on the tape, he completely disrupt any flow on the PP etc. etc. He's just not fast enough in his processing and thus his passes and decisions are always just that tiny bit late.

Guess coach Green sees it differently, though?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, J-P said:

I'm sorry, I know DP was +3, had the game winner and played 25 mins last night, but he just isn't an NHL player in my eyes. Misses assignments, regularly coughs up the puck, his passes are almost never on the tape, he completely disrupt any flow on the PP etc. etc. He's just not fast enough in his processing and thus his passes and decisions are always just that tiny bit late.

Green has stuck with Poulliot which surprised me to a degree. To be fair he has played better this year as has Hutton. It appears to me that Poulliot's issue is confidence. What is not talked a lot about is the impact a more offensive team, lead by EP40 and BB, will have on other players as the d-side gets more of a break. As well the FO% which has shifted in Van's favor big time. Possession, again, takes pressure off the d-zone.  

3 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Seems to be a logical disconnect there.  Or is Stecher that magnificent that Pouliot is simply riding his coattails?

Yeah Stecher’s been good. DP hasn’t been awful overall defensively actually, but I cringe every time he has the puck. Also getting very sheltered minutes which helps stats. 

9 hours ago, J-P said:

Coach Green had him in CHL when he was named CHL Dman of the year and touted as having "high hockey IQ and elite puck moving skills" which led to his high draft position.   Coach Green knows he has a former elite prospect on his hands that is likely on his last NHL stop if he doesn't make it work here.   

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Coach Green had him in CHL when he was named CHL Dman of the year and touted as having "high hockey IQ and elite puck moving skills" which led to his high draft position.   Coach Green knows he has a former elite prospect on his hands that is likely on his last NHL stop if he doesn't make it work here.   

Didn’t Green call out DP last season for lack of fitness and commitment to being a full time pro?  Maybe the kid just needed to get properly fit, so he could keep up?  It’s hard to think straight, when you’re sucking air.  

4 hours ago, J-P said:

Yeah Stecher’s been good. DP hasn’t been awful overall defensively actually, but I cringe every time he has the puck. Also getting very sheltered minutes which helps stats. 

I really must not be watching the same Pouliot cause he’s been pretty good at moving the puck. Defensive lapses, a lot actually, has been his problem. But I think on a good team he’s a good number 5/6 D option for some depth blueline scoring. Some 2nd unit PP looks maybe. Nothing crazy.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I really must not be watching the same Pouliot cause he’s been pretty good at moving the puck. Defensive lapses, a lot actually, has been his problem. But I think on a good team he’s a good number 5/6 D option for some depth blueline scoring. Some 2nd unit PP looks maybe. Nothing crazy.

I agree he's made a steady progression from last year. Mistakes at his position are not nearly as bad as previously seen last year. 

17 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

A top prospect who has struggled to get regular TOI in both Pitt and Van. 3 years in Pitt with less than 70 games played. Green did play him last year 71 games, the most in his career for a season by a long shot. DP strikes me as a player who is gaining confidence with each game.  This kid only has 150 NHL games. More than enough reason to be patient. I will look at his progress in January and hope to be happy with his progress.  

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Westcoasting said:

With Derek it was his skating, his fitness hasn't been an issue since the first year of him joining the Penguins. With Hutton, he was out of shape.

Didn’t Green say Pouliot needed to be a pro off the ice?  “Part of that is [Hutton and Pouliot] learning as young players how they have to be ready to play.”  Green lumped those two together for their off ice preparations.  Maybe I read too much into these kinds of comments, but Pouliot did look gassed when he played higher minutes and longer shifts last season.  Gassed players make mistakes, look slow to react, and just play poorly.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/canucks-green-talks-finishing-right-developing-prospects-sedins/

• Upvote 1

On 11/3/2018 at 9:15 AM, Boudrias said:

Green has stuck with Poulliot which surprised me to a degree. To be fair he has played better this year as has Hutton. It appears to me that Poulliot's issue is confidence. What is not talked a lot about is the impact a more offensive team, lead by EP40 and BB, will have on other players as the d-side gets more of a break. As well the FO% which has shifted in Van's favor big time. Possession, again, takes pressure off the d-zone.  

I think a lot of people forget how highly ranked he was earlier in life. His upside is huge considering what we gave up for him..