The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vegas Golden Knights vs. Vancouver Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

5 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

What do you guys think?

Sedins on same unit is redundant and undermine any chance of success.  Neither will shoot (or can shoot decently) so it makes defending easier.   They are slow movers , as is edler so the risk of giving up short handed scoring chances is high. 

Edler won't pass to boeser so that eliminates much of boeser value.  Would rather pouliot be o.n 1st unit...Hes faster, more.mobile, gets his shot through and is capable of getting back to cover.

We didn't come out with any urgency and my worry is that these guys, many of whom are young, will be content with a hard fought win then forget to show up next game.  Can't dwell on the success, have to earn it every night.

With that, I give Vegas credit for coming 100% prepared.  Played aggressive, had a lot of jump and just outworked us for the most part. 

This isn't an easy gig and anyone who thinks they can coast after a win into another will find out the hard way.  Every single night they have to bring it, didn't see that at the start of the game.

Every single shift requires an all in attitude.  If they are satisfied with one win, they'll likely be stuck there as the opportunity to grab #2, 3, etc. passes.  Momentum is generated, not handed to you like a free pass.

With that, had fun...they did at least give it a go and woke up enough to tie things.  Like what I see when they do engage.  When they're zoned out, not so much.

2 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Sedins on same unit is redundant and undermine any chance of success.  Neither will shoot (or can shoot decently) so it makes defending easier.   They are slow movers , as is edler so the risk of giving up short handed scoring chances is high. 

Edler won't pass to boeser so that eliminates much of boeser value.  Would rather pouliot be o.n 1st unit...Hes faster, more.mobile, gets his shot through and is capable of getting back to cover.

Good points. Daniel and Henrik are playmakers and it doesn't make sense having both on the same unit - since it becomes easier for the opposing defencemen to take away the shooter after the Sedins play their cycle game.

I would like to see this:

Baertschi - Henrik - Vanek

Boeser - Del Zotto

Daniel - Horvat - Eriksson

Hutton - Pouliot

Or something along those lines. Spread the talent around and get Edler off the powerplay.

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

During intermission, they showed some video of players answering questions about who would be the worst babysitter on the team for Nilsson's new baby boy, and almost everyone asked named Jake as the worst. I get the feeling he doesn't get any respect on the team,

I didn't see this video clip but I find it telling. When most of your teammates rate you as the least capable of babysitting an infant, they're basically calling him the flakiest guy on the team. Probably not the best endorsement from your teammates and could also be reflective of how the coach/coaching staff see him also.

On the physical side of the game, he definitely has the ability to hit like a train but I would assume the price to pay for stapling the opposition to the boards is having to knuckle up with some of the other teams heavy hitters. I see people on these boards talking about Virtanen as if he is some sort of potential deterrent or enforcer type. Being big doesn't make you tough. I've never seen him cast that sort of presence - Phillip Forsberg doesn't count. 

Does Jake want to be that sort of heavy player, or is he naturally predisposed to fall back to a skill game? My take is that he's still young, prob 3-5 years from being who/what he's gonna be.

Jakes physical skills can't be denied, but being voted least capable of babysitting a teammates newborn is like being voted least capable of taking care of himself. Not a very good vote of confidence from his peer group.

10 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I believe last practice they tried Sedins with Eriksson and Del Zotto-Hutton on the point. With the second unit being Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser and Edler-Pouliot.

I agree that Edler is the issue, too predictable entering the zone, or slowing down and going for the drop pass. I would like to see the Sedins split up on the powerplay.

They did practice that but Green changed it last minute for the LA game.  Even the players were surprised because they were informed just before the game.  

9 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Good points. Daniel and Henrik are playmakers and it doesn't make sense having both on the same unit - since it becomes easier for the opposing defencemen to take away the shooter after the Sedins play their cycle game.

I would like to see this:

Baertschi - Henrik - Vanek

Boeser - Del Zotto

Daniel - Horvat - Eriksson

Hutton - Pouliot

Or something along those lines. Spread the talent around and get Edler off the powerplay.

IMO:

PP1

Daniel, Horvat, Vanek

Boeser, Pouliot

PP2

Baer, Hank, Eriksson

MDZ, Gagner/Stech (when back)

But CDC needs to stop acting like changes like this will make some earth shattering difference. It's probably the difference between our PP running at +/-16% now vs +/-17% then :lol:

13 minutes ago, Mozymozy said:

I didn't see this video clip but I find it telling. When most of your teammates rate you as the least capable of babysitting an infant, they're basically calling him the flakiest guy on the team. Probably not the best endorsement from your teammates and could also be reflective of how the coach/coaching staff see him also.

Jakes physical skills can't be denied, but being voted least capable of babysitting a teammates newborn is like being voted least capable of taking care of himself. Not a very good vote of confidence from his peer group.

Jake also happens to be one of the youngest players on the team. It wasn't mentioned by the person you were quoting, but they're aren't answering those questions dead-seriously. Players like to make fun of each other like that all the time. Remember when MDZ was named one of Canada's top 25 eligible bachelors? His teammates couldn't stop teasing him.

If it's true that Virtanen isn't well-liked by the coaching staff or his teammates, you probably wouldn't find evidence of it in that clip. The whole point of videos like those is to amuse people, not micro-analyze the players' answers. Here's one from a couple years back when they asked the team who the worst driver was:

3 minutes ago, Toni Zamboni said:

something has got to get Granny going......maybe try him with the Sedins for a few games?

I'd just be happy if they got Virtanen off that line. If that mean Granny or Eriksson or Gagner or whoever playing with them...great.

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'd just be happy if they got Virtanen off that line. If that mean Granny or Eriksson or Gagner or whoever playing with them...great.

Baer, Horvat, Boeser

Dorsett , Sutter, Eriksson/Virtanen

Vanek, Granlund, Virtanen/Eriksson

Sedin, Sedin, Gagner 

26 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

More good news from practice:

Must have been me blessing him ;) 

So frustrating watching this team though... we play so well against the big teams... Oilers, LA, Crapsburgh, but then choked against a weak Ducks team and a Vegas team that had their 4th string goalie in... 

I liked Green's comments... said we're not a team that can get away with guys playing average and everyone has to bring it all to win games. Hopefully the boys can buy into his philosophy. 

2 minutes ago, apollo said:

Must have been me blessing him ;) 

So frustrating watching this team though... we play so well against the big teams... Oilers, LA, Crapsburgh, but then choked against a weak Ducks team and a Vegas team that had their 4th string goalie in... 

I liked Green's comments... said we're not a team that can get away with guys playing average and everyone has to bring it all to win games. Hopefully the boys can buy into his philosophy. 

That's part of the problem though. The Sedins WERE giving their all.

3 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Ok so say we somehow traded Edler which I doubt unless he or management asks to waive NTC. And tbe Sedins do indeed retire what the heck do you do with Eriksson for the next 4 years? That's why I get sinking feeling Sedins come back for at least a year. Plus in management's eyes it's an option to buy time until Pettersson is ready. 

Eriksson doesn't need to play with the Sedins to be valuable to the team. He didn't play with them in Boston or Dallas.

Having the Sedins continue with their decline in production won't buy time for Petterson. It'll prevent younger players from taking spots in the 3rd or 4th line.

40 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

This isn't an easy gig and anyone who thinks they can coast after a win into another will find out the hard way.  Every single night they have to bring it, didn't see that at the start of the game.

There are teams that can coast thru a game & win.  Unfortunately our team ain't one of those teams.

We can only hope the guys in the dressing room learned that lesson (team ain't anywhere nearly good enough to take ANY team for granted).

At least it's a "cheap lesson" (unless one paid to watch that "game" last night) - plenty of games left in the season.

Archived