The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Philadelphia Flyers

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Unpopular opinion incoming:

Reminds me of the griping people did when WD started Bo on the “fourth line” last year.  With all the issues this team has, maybe we shouldn’t complain about the things that turned out okay.

Alls well that ends well, right?

Why is that unpopular?   Seems like a logical coaching decision and in this case one that has worked out so far.   I always find it interesting how people (not all, but many) figure they can revise history and are adamant their revised history will be better than what has happened via actual professional players with actual professional coaching/management.    It is fun to speculate alternative outcomes, that what discussion boards are for after all, but the "I KNOW this would have turned out better if xxx was playing every game or yyy was our starting goalie" is curious.

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Gaunce -2 (0 points in 5 games)

Boeser +1 (19 points in 18 games)

Boeser can't be trusted?

Green most likely put Gaunce and Eriksson out at the end of the game so they could finally score a goal this year. I think it had little to do with protecting a 2 goal lead with a minute and a half left. Eriksson got his, good for him. Green probably felt that Boeser had contributed enough and would like to see success from some of the players that are struggling to score. Gaunce continues to struggle in that area.  

Boeser being +1 with 19 points scored means he got scored on 18 times when he was on the ice.

Gaunce got scored on 2 times when he was on the ice.

With that stats alone, I think Gaunce does better defensively. Besides, Gaunce is a big body out there blocking shots in a 5v6 situation with goalie pulled.

If u put out Boeser in a 5v2 game when Philly pulls goalie and fires the puck around in Canucks zone, Boeser out there blocking shots because he is that type of player that would do things right to win. 

One bad blocked shot and Boeser gets hurt and misses next 3-4 games. Would u then be blaming Green for putting Boeser out there in a sure-win game?

Getting a Hat trick is good and all but come on now...... Gotta be smarter eh?

7 hours ago, hobart16 said:

Special teams are shaping up.  PK is good, and no real fall off as between the two PP units which seem to be coming on a bit.  

Gaunce was very good.  Better ask Boeser for some shooting tips and we will have another power forward 3d liner who can play shut down too.  VIrtanen also played his role well and it was one of those 4 lines rolling nights.  

Bo Horvat had several hellacious back checks out there.  He is a real engine.  Baertschi gets to create and throw those insane passes with Bo backing him up.  Baer just missed on several very creative passes last night that would have set up perfect scoring chances.  He is playing such a dynamic game.  Baertschi is one of the top 10 most skilled players in the league.  See him bat that puck out of the air last night?  Made it look easy.  Just has to make sure he isn't playing too cute at times.  

Nice to see Hutton making plays out there and Edler actually pinched a couple of times.  Finally getting on board with Green's pressure tactics.  

Ericksson seems to have some new life in his game.  I keep waiting for that vet line of Ericksson, Gagnier and Vanek to have a dominant game.  They seem to be getting better with each game.  

Always interesting..good eye for the game!

1 hour ago, LowerMainLander18 said:

Boeser being +1 with 19 points scored means he got scored on 18 times when he was on the ice.

With that stats alone, I think Gaunce does better defensively. Besides, Gaunce is a big body out there blocking shots in a 5v6 situation with goalie pulled.

If u put out Boeser in a 5v2 game when Philly pulls goalie and fires the puck around in Canucks zone, Boeser out there blocking shots because he is that type of player that would do things right to win. 

One bad blocked shot and Boeser gets hurt and misses next 3-4 games. Would u then be blaming Green for putting Boeser out there in a sure-win game?

I don't think you understand the concept of plus / minus and how it is given.

14 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

So Erik Gudbranson led all Canucks skaters in on-ice CF, CF% Rel, FF, FF% Rel, SF, SF% Rel, SCF, SCF% Rel, HDCF, and HDCF% Rel. 

Basically, he just killed it on the underlying "possession" metrics.

And he also had very solid numbers last game.

His stats are still way underwater for the season, but definitely nice to see this recent trend, and figured it deserves some acknowledgement.

And a little bit of an extra observation:

I don't really agree with what you're implying - the 'recent trend' doesn't really indicate improved underlying numbers.

None of this really means much if you don't keep it in context.

For example, last week in the Los Angeles game, Gudbranson was 'underwater' with a CF of 47% - however, he managed that with 11% offensive zone starts.   Without keeping it in context,  you can look at that and conclude that 3 other D had 'better underlying numbers' based on corsi, and it would be misleading.

Last night, he may have had the best corsi on the blueline (at 47.92%), but he and Hutton also had 60% offensive zone starts (something uncharacteristic for Gudbranson, who's been utilized heavily in a dzone/matchup/shutdown role.

Suggesting that his underlying numbers are improving is to look at them in relative isolation.  Games like the LA game imo indicate far stronger possession numbers in context.

Something people need to realize about the present Canucks - Green is unpredictable in terms of his deployment of players.  He does this on a regular basis - one night the Sedins will be getting astronomical ozone starts, the next he has them heavily weighted to the dzone. 

Last game vs St Louis Gudbranson had a CF% of 54.17% with 15.37% offensive zone starts.  That is relatively outstanding, particularly in the context of playing clear shutdown minutes.

Last night  - not really that impressive relative to recent games, even the ones he was 'underwater' (again, misleading imo). 

Who knows what Green's reasons are for switching this up as he does - last night, on the road, with a lead, perhaps he was either looking to prevent exposure for Hutton, or reward that pairing with some easier minutes....Also the first of a travel back to back on the road, so that probably plays a part - but Gudbranson is not really 'trending' anywhere 'better' recently - he's had lots of very good games regardless of what the reductive shot differentials imply.

5 hours ago, Canadian Clay said:

That’s a really good point about his play in the o-zone while the Sedins are cycling and grinding. At one point Henrik threw it down from the half boards to behind the net for Virtanen, and virt made a weak backhand pass and gave the puck away. Frustrating after the Sedins spent so much time getting possession. I think virt is suffering because he is trying to keep his game simple, which is the opposite of how the Sedins play. Sometimes it works, sometimes wires get crossed

Virt is playing like a first-time shoplifter trying to make his way to the door.

7 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

You hit the nail on the head for me here, SID. I may come across as an anti-analytics jerk on the CDC, but I do see the value in using advanced statistics as a tool.

Your comment regarding JD Burke and the like only reporting the negative analytics about Guddy is another salient point. It would seem to bely a bias on the part of Canucks Army and their disciples here. If they bothered to give credit where credit was due, I think the divide you speak of would be much smaller. Idiots like Botchford are also responsible for spreading the anti-Gudbranson message too.

I've seen Gudbranson blow defensive assignments as epically as Edler, and realize that he could benefit from working on parts of his game. I just know that the physical presence he brings has been sorely lacking on this team for some time.

My favourite defensemen on the NUCKS I’m praying we resign him we need him more than he needs us hope management can see that and pay him.

18 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Looks like Kyperios won that tilt.

The only thing Kypreos is remembered for was him getting knocked out by a right hook. It seemed to have done damage to his IQ.

6 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Gaunce -2 (0 points in 5 games)

Boeser +1 (19 points in 18 games)

Boeser can't be trusted?

Green most likely put Gaunce and Eriksson out at the end of the game so they could finally score a goal this year. I think it had little to do with protecting a 2 goal lead with a minute and a half left. Eriksson got his, good for him. Green probably felt that Boeser had contributed enough and would like to see success from some of the players that are struggling to score. Gaunce continues to struggle in that area.  

There is such a thing called deployment, part of coaching. Gaunce and Eriksson are great in defensive zone coverage and puck retrieval and regular penalty killers which is what 5-on-6 is about.

18 hours ago, Harvey Spector said:

Pettersson looks like a star in the making.  He could be ready for the big show next year I think.  He could end up being better than both Hischier and Patrick.  Get Evander Kane as a UFA and put him on a line with Boeser and Kane and you have a #1 line in the making.  That line could be scary good really.  Throw Virtanen with BO and Baer and make that your second line.  Or play Virtanen with Granlund and see if Kole Lind is ready for the big show.  

Exciting times ahead for sure.  If Juolevi can make it next year and if we can somehow get Tryamkin back in the fold watch out.  Not to mention Demko is waiting in the wings...

He certainly has the highest skill ceiling in his draft year. If he was 20lb heavier he would have been #1 according to many.  But to go out and do what he's doing thus far and dominate men in the SEL is a major draft +1 year thus far. 

20 hours ago, 250Integra said:

What part of that r u having concerns with? Only thing I have missed out on was penalty kill/ Power play situations.

I excluded Penalty/ Powerplay situations because it was irrelevant. (Pulling a goalie =/= Penalty Kill/ Powerplay. 

Other than that, I think my thought process was accurate.

If not, enlighten me instead of blind criticism :)

Share your insight on plus/minus. 

9 hours ago, LowerMainLander18 said:

What part of that r u having concerns with? Only thing I have missed out on was penalty kill/ Power play situations.

I excluded Penalty/ Powerplay situations because it was irrelevant. (Pulling a goalie =/= Penalty Kill/ Powerplay. 

Boeser with 19 points does not mean he would have been +19. You do not get plus / minus for power play points, which is where a lot of his points have come from? His +1 does not mean he was on the ice for 18 goals against either.

On 11/21/2017 at 10:38 PM, Davathor said:

Yeah great, Loui scored on an open net for his first of the season... he's magically going to turn into a player worth 6 million dollars a season 

Never said that (read any of my other posts to see how NOT a fan of LE I am).   Just saying getting some guys that are gripping their sticks too tight a break can help the team more than Brock getting the empty-netter.

12 hours ago, 250Integra said:

Boeser with 19 points does not mean he would have been +19. You do not get plus / minus for power play points, which is where a lot of his points have come from? His +1 does not mean he was on the ice for 18 goals against either.

Could u read what I typed in previous post?

Your thoughts are my thoughts. 

I think you misread someone else's plus/minus with mine. 

On 11/22/2017 at 4:21 PM, LowerMainLander18 said:

On 11/22/2017 at 5:47 PM, 250Integra said:

This. 

I am still waiting to hear from 250Integra

On 11/22/2017 at 4:21 PM, LowerMainLander18 said:

On 11/22/2017 at 5:47 PM, 250Integra said:

22 hours ago, LowerMainLander18 said:

This.

Now, let's hear it. What makes u think I don't understand the concept of plus/minus and how it is given?

Archived