The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Pittsburgh Penguins

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, sockeye said:

Another great game by the Canucks!  This was a total team effort and the Canucks have a wonderful problem to have - which goalie to put in for the next game?  They are both playing great.  We are very lucky to have a 23rd pick that has turned out as skilled as Boeser.  As a bonus, he seems like a real character guy – on and off the ice.

I was listening to the post game show on CISL 650 and I’m getting a little tired of hearing all the accolades about Pouliot.  I agree that the Pouliot and Del Zotto signings have been a definite upgrade on defence but I thought Pouliot only had an average game tonight.  But don’t get me wrong, his progression has gone real well.  He had a lucky goal with a deflection off of a Pens defenceman’s skate – that shot was going wide.  I’m happy for him but it was a lucky goal.  He made a terrible pass to Hutton – basically set him up to get his head almost taken off (Hutton lost his helmet).  Pouliot should have made the safe play and shot the puck off the glass and out (turn around and reverse the play).  Instead, he nonchalantly passes to Hutton who had a guy bearing down on him for a big hit.  I hope Baumer reviews that play with Pouliot.

I think Hutton and Sutter (two of CDC’s whipping boys) are playing solid.  Sutter is a good defensive forward, blocks shots, good on the PK and good on face-offs.  There are lots of 5 mill/yr forwards that don’t contribute as much as Sutter.  He’s a warrior and the type of player I really appreciate.  Another warrior fave of mine is going to be missed (Dorsett).  I think Loui is looking much better this year – even before he got hurt.  He is another player you can count on to play up and down the lineup and kill penalties.  I wish everybody would forget about the TOI stats and look at the play of the team. 

Another caller brought up an interesting point.  With the way Boeser is playing, he is going to attract a lot more physical play and we have no one in the lineup (i.e. Dorse and Guddy) to step in.  Maybe we need to bring up Darren Archibald – he had a solid pre-season.  While Gaunce has been looking much better this season, I kind of would like seeing Archie in the lineup for a few games.

Just wanted to say something about your Pouliot assessment. Dmen are often told to shoot wide because it will probably get deflected, and its the forward's job to do so. So i think that was a fantastic play by Pouliot. Textbook. 

1 hour ago, NHTyrany said:

The team can't afford to lose its enforcers. Without Dorset or Gudy, there really is no one to keep players from taking liberties. Well I guess the officials could help...LOL. Perhaps Horvat can step up. He hasn't shown much physicality this year. Does Gaunce ever throw down?   

Gaunce is a lover, not a fighter.  His brother, Cameron is the fighter in the family.  Don't worry, Jack Mcllhargey just got called up from the minors

2 hours ago, Mr.DirtyDangles said:

The comparisons are there in personality and draft scenario etc. Boeser has a disgusting snap shot ala Mike Bossy.........massive shoes to fill.  Lets hope he grows into a size 13 wearing the Blue n Green !

I don't think we can compare him to Mike Bossy yet...

Bossy is the greatest NHL goal scorer in history.... goals per game average at .762... and that includes Gretzky.

He would likely have been up there as 1 or 2 all-time in total goals if he had not had his career ended prematurely by an injury.  He only had one season when he didn't score 50 goals or more.  He was only in the league for 10 seasons, had 573 goals... including five 60 goal seasons, tied with Gretzky.

Boeser will be a star, but to put him up with Bossy right now might be premature...  if he scores 50 goals in his first season, then start making that comparison.  B)

10 minutes ago, pluralsight said:

Not sure if this was posted but more salt from Matt Murray post game:

Can't tell if he's just trolling at this point, but still quite comical. 

I have to say, the second Canucks goal where Crosby's broken stick made Kessel turn the puck over and Eriksson scoring was a pretty comical play. I think he is pissed from that one play and didn't regain his focus after that. Credit to Kessel and Crosby's broken stick.

4 hours ago, Mr.DirtyDangles said:

The phrase Brocket Rocket was used letter for letter in the skit( which I found to be one of the funniest things I have ever heard) but it is racist as hell...  side note my native buddies thought it was a riot to.  Still you know how easily snowflakes melt why set them off ? It makes for a horrible PC atmosphere at least we can try to be be covertly old school :ph34r:

No. The snowflakes need to be offended. We need to do it often and without mercy. Their agenda (or that of the ones pulling their strings) is to get us to censor what we say (and ultimately what we think) so they (those in power) don't have to.

Anyway, great game by the Nucks.

59 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Del Zotto as the 7th defenseman? In my opinion DZ has more than earned his spot in the top six, and Hutton hasn't. Frankly I'd be good if Edler is traded though, then everyone has a spot. 

if someone has to sit out,its must be Hutton

1 hour ago, sockeye said:

Another great game by the Canucks!  This was a total team effort and the Canucks have a wonderful problem to have - which goalie to put in for the next game?  They are both playing great.  We are very lucky to have a 23rd pick that has turned out as skilled as Boeser.  As a bonus, he seems like a real character guy – on and off the ice.

I was listening to the post game show on CISL 650 and I’m getting a little tired of hearing all the accolades about Pouliot.  I agree that the Pouliot and Del Zotto signings have been a definite upgrade on defence but I thought Pouliot only had an average game tonight.  But don’t get me wrong, his progression has gone real well.  He had a lucky goal with a deflection off of a Pens defenceman’s skate – that shot was going wide.  I’m happy for him but it was a lucky goal.  He made a terrible pass to Hutton – basically set him up to get his head almost taken off (Hutton lost his helmet).  Pouliot should have made the safe play and shot the puck off the glass and out (turn around and reverse the play).  Instead, he nonchalantly passes to Hutton who had a guy bearing down on him for a big hit.  I hope Baumer reviews that play with Pouliot.

I think Hutton and Sutter (two of CDC’s whipping boys) are playing solid.  Sutter is a good defensive forward, blocks shots, good on the PK and good on face-offs.  There are lots of 5 mill/yr forwards that don’t contribute as much as Sutter.  He’s a warrior and the type of player I really appreciate.  Another warrior fave of mine is going to be missed (Dorsett).  I think Loui is looking much better this year – even before he got hurt.  He is another player you can count on to play up and down the lineup and kill penalties.  I wish everybody would forget about the TOI stats and look at the play of the team. 

Another caller brought up an interesting point.  With the way Boeser is playing, he is going to attract a lot more physical play and we have no one in the lineup (i.e. Dorse and Guddy) to step in.  Maybe we need to bring up Darren Archibald – he had a solid pre-season.  While Gaunce has been looking much better this season, I kind of would like seeing Archie in the lineup for a few games.

Correct me if i am wrong but i dont think Archie is eligible to play in a Canucks uniform. I am pretty sure he is contracted to Utica. 

1 hour ago, DefCon1 said:

first time to dip into the AHL for a D call-up this season with 3 NHL D men getting hurt. The depth is amazing since our D keeps getting decimated every year. Good thing Benning saw that and got Del Zotto and traded for Pouliot otherwise we would be really hurting right now.

We already have a call-up for Holm so he probably the next man up if Tanev/Stecher are not ready to play.  Doubt we'll dip in a call-up until Saturday if both is not ready to go on Sunday.  

2 minutes ago, canuckpuckluck15 said:

Correct me if i am wrong but i dont think Archie is eligible to play in a Canucks uniform. I am pretty sure he is contracted to Utica. 

Think that's true. Also injured..think he's out another month(approx) with a broken cheekbone.

Unsure how this occurred..any Comet fans got info, by chance?

Archived