The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Van-Min

With the loss of Dorsett, One player I'm thinking has a comparable is Marcus Folino.

Not sure how fans or coaches feel about Folino but being 26, he fits our age group, hits like a truck, has shutdown abilities and could be a fit with Sutter and Gaunce. I assume Min management likes him alot as they did just sign him to a 4yr contract that is about the same as Dorsett.

I would have no problem parting with Granlund as he is an RFA at years end and will likely wanna cash in on his 17 goals from last year. 

Thoughts?

Thanks

this might be possible if Jim's willing to take another player in the deal as well since Minni is at the 50 man limit and I'm sure they'd like at least one open spot for TDL moves. Maybe someone like Cal O'Reilly who would just slot right into Utica and someone Minni would be happy to shed for the roster spot. Minni probably wants a pick too. 

So Granny and a 5th for Foligno and O'Reilly? 

I know this puts the season on a holding pattern

But I honest think we should just wait it out

We have Dorsett types available, and to be honest we are not going to move up the standings much. if at all

by adding an external player.....can we replace Dorsett internally completely.....no

But with all his time off this year, we have managed to remain at a 500 club.......

I look at McEwen, Gaudette (who is a more mature prospect), Gadjovich, Archibald. Virtanen, LaBate, who all have the possibility of replacing Dorsett within the year

Not to mention any UFA signing this coming summer or moving Biega up to add some teeth.......(small teeth)

I believe we focus on the task at hand and build through the draft, and focus on 2 years down the road, when our young ones start maturing

In my Opinion....this underlines the fact we should go after Kane this summer...........

Yup, this is exactly the type of guy we need.

Granlund's having a down year, but uniting with his brother may ignite his desire to not be shown up by his Michael.

We are missing a 4th round pick I'd like to have a replacement for.

To Vancouver:

Marcus Foligno

2018 3rd rnd pick (they have three)

To Minnesota:

Markus Granlund

Foligno is a great physical player, but has never eclipsed 23 pnts. 

Granlund is not a very physical player but has gone over the 30 pnt mark and has potential to produce more and playing on the same team with his brother should bring out the best in him. He's also 2 yrs Foligno's junior, offering more time to his tenure.

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

I know this puts the season on a holding pattern

But I honest think we should just wait it out

We have Dorsett types available, and to be honest we are not going to move up the standings much. if at all

by adding an external player.....can we replace Dorsett internally completely.....no

But with all his time off this year, we have managed to remain at a 500 club.......

I look at McEwen, Gaudette (who is a more mature prospect), Gadjovich, Archibald. Virtanen, LaBate, who all have the possibility of replacing Dorsett within the year

Not to mention any UFA signing this coming summer or moving Biega up to add some teeth.......(small teeth)

I believe we focus on the task at hand and build through the draft, and focus on 2 years down the road, when our young ones start maturing

In my Opinion....this underlines the fact we should go after Kane this summer...........

why does everyone infer kane provides an answer to dorsett not being in our lineup

they are very different players

kane will not.. .will never do... the dirty work dorsett did

dorsett's role was to stick up for the entire team when the going got a little rough

kane has never done that and it is simply not in his dna

and why would any player paid $5 million or more do that sort of dirty work

it is unwise for such a player to do that .. and unwise for a team to invest $5 million plus in a player to do that sort of work

kane has nothing to offer in terms of replacing dorsett

it is folly in my view to link these 2 players

I could be mistaken but I think Folino has had spot duty on the top line and a few cameo appearances on one of their power plays. That shows he wont

look out of place if he is paired with top players in key situations.

Youtube him and this guy has done enough fighting to make even Dorsett proud.

Somebody here mentioned his career high is 23 points....

Well if this guy pots 10-13 each year from 4th line then he is DEFINITELY a keeper and worth going after HARD.

Leads the league in hits which Green is looking for and could pair him with Virtanen for inspiration.

All this for 4 yrs, @ $2.85m?

He is EXACTLY the type this team needs right now.

3 hours ago, coastal.view said:

why does everyone infer kane provides an answer to dorsett not being in our lineup

they are very different players

kane will not.. .will never do... the dirty work dorsett did

dorsett's role was to stick up for the entire team when the going got a little rough

kane has never done that and it is simply not in his dna

and why would any player paid $5 million or more do that sort of dirty work

it is unwise for such a player to do that .. and unwise for a team to invest $5 million plus in a player to do that sort of work

kane has nothing to offer in terms of replacing dorsett

it is folly in my view to link these 2 players

I totally agree with you Coastal

Kane will not do what Dorsett did

But he will add to team toughness, by a large amount if you are comparing him to other LWers we have Baertschi, Granlund or Goldobin and Dahlen

as well, I believe as I said earlier that......McEwen, Gaudette, Gadjovich, LaBate, and to a less extend Horvat, Gaunce, and Virtanen

can all stand up for themselves, as can Gudbranson, if he stays..........

Real team toughness does not require a Dorsett in the current NHL........Dorsett was a throw back from an earlier time

If Benning thinks that Foligno or anyone like him is needed, he may just go out and get him or someone like him

I am just not sure, I would be doing that right now

2 hours ago, missioncanucksfan said:

I could be mistaken but I think Folino has had spot duty on the top line and a few cameo appearances on one of their power plays. That shows he wont

look out of place if he is paired with top players in key situations.

Youtube him and this guy has done enough fighting to make even Dorsett proud.

Somebody here mentioned his career high is 23 points....

Well if this guy pots 10-13 each year from 4th line then he is DEFINITELY a keeper and worth going after HARD.

Leads the league in hits which Green is looking for and could pair him with Virtanen for inspiration.

All this for 4 yrs, @ $2.85m?

He is EXACTLY the type this team needs right now.

Good points!

The young player I like from the Wild is Kunin. I think he'd fit in well with what we have and increase our center depth. We'd probably have to take a bad contract back (Ennis comes to mind) and give up some decent pieces to land him.

To MIN:

Granlund

Gudbranson

To VAN:

Kunin

Ennis

3rd Round Pick 2018 (VGK)

8 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

The young player I like from the Wild is Kunin. I think he'd fit in well with what we have and increase our center depth. We'd probably have to take a bad contract back (Ennis comes to mind) and give up some decent pieces to land him.

To MIN:

Granlund

Gudbranson

To VAN:

Kunin

Ennis

I do not see the Canucks looking to get smaller, and a lot softer to play against, so I would say that Benning would not accept this trade.

Ennis is "old", small. has had injury issues over the last number of years and is sitting on a $4.6 million cap hit over this season and the next. 

Kunin might be nice to have, but not at the expense of Gudbranson and Granlund (since I don't see Ennis as being a significant factor in this deal).

regards,  G.

I really like Marcus Foligno, was hoping JB would do something to nab him away from Buffalo for years now.

Although Minnesota did bring him in because they felt they needed a physical presence to take the load off of Chris Stewart.  He is a crucial piece on their PK too, so I don't think they are willing to move him unless we overpay.

Kinda think that we have someone who plays that similar game as Marcus, we have him in Utica by the name of Joseph Labate.  Think we need to give him a few more looks before we go off looking

9 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

To MIN:

Granlund

Gudbranson

To VAN:

Kunin

Ennis

The Wild are very high on Kunin.  The Wild were more willing to part with Tuch than with him.  

They moved Scandella because they had enough Ds and wanted to make room for their younger ones.  Gudbranson is also not their kind of D - they are about mobility.  There were actually discussions last season about trading Brodin (their best skater) because they wondered about his offence.  Granlund doesn't bring anything they don't already have.

On 12/1/2017 at 9:21 AM, mll said:

The Wild were not willing to move Scandella to Buffalo unless Foligno was coming back the other way.  He is unlikely to be available. 

Dang, is that right?  Was that reported or just speculation?  If it's legit then yeah it'd be tough to see it happening given the potential asking price.  
Would be down to get a guy like him (and I would pay due to the loss of Dorsett) but I hope Jim doesn't go chasing and overpaying.  Physical wingers aren't the most difficult to acquire (as someone mentioned we have Gaunce, Jake and even LaBate, Archibald, Gadjovich waiting in the wings...) so I wouldn't give up more than a low round pick to get one, even if he doesn't score as much (talking about for 4th line duties).  Even if it's a developing guy like Kassian was when he was developing, it's probably not wise to chase (they won't get moved much short of overpayment if they're in their power forward prime or if they're deemed blue chip (prior to their hockey sense development, and they might bust otherwise if they're not already developed, so timing and a keen eye for these moves is pretty key).   

20 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

Dang, is that right?  Was that reported or just speculation?  If it's legit then yeah it'd be tough to see it happening given the potential asking price.  
Would be down to get a guy like him (and I would pay due to the loss of Dorsett) but I hope Jim doesn't go chasing and overpaying.  Physical wingers aren't the most difficult to acquire (as someone mentioned we have Gaunce, Jake and even LaBate, Archibald, Gadjovich waiting in the wings...) so I wouldn't give up more than a low round pick to get one, even if he doesn't score as much (talking about for 4th line duties).  Even if it's a developing guy like Kassian was when he was developing, it's probably not wise to chase (they won't get moved much short of overpayment if they're in their power forward prime or if they're deemed blue chip (prior to their hockey sense development, and they might bust otherwise if they're not already developed, so timing and a keen eye for these moves is pretty key).   

Russo reported it.  He also wrote this in the Star Tribune: 

Fletcher said the Wild had been chasing Foligno for a couple seasons. [...]”.  Fletcher feels Foligno’s the type of player the Wild has lacked, particularly in the playoffs. In six seasons over 347 games, Foligno scored 116 points, 334 penalty minutes and had 1,023 hits.

Archived