The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canada To Bring in 1 Million Immigrants In Next Three Years - One Of Most Aggressive Increases Ever

GM

A 3 percent population growth.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/immigration-canada-2018-1.4371146

Ahmed Hussen tabled the Liberal government's plan on Nov. 1st:

"Canada will welcome nearly one million immigrants over the next three years, according to the multi-year strategy tabled by the Liberal government today in what it calls "the most ambitious immigration levels in recent history."

"Hussen said immigration drives innovation and strengthens the economy, rejecting some claims that newcomers drain Canada's resources and become a burden on society."

"Conservative immigration critic Michelle Rempel was critical of the plan, suggesting the government needs to do a better job of integrating newcomers.

'It is not enough for this government to table the number of people that they are bringing to this country. Frankly the Liberals need to stop using numbers of refugees, amount of money spent, feel-good tweets and photo ops for metrics of success in Canada's immigration system.'"

"During the government's consultation period, the Canadian Immigrant Settlement Sector Alliance presented "Vision 2020," what it called a "bold" three-year plan to address growing demographic shifts underway in the country, calling for increased numbers in the economic, family and refugee categories.

It recommended a target of 350,000 people in 2018, which climbs to 400,000 in 2019 and 450,000 by 2020.

Chris Friesen, the organization's director of settlement services, said it's time for a white paper or royal commission on immigration to develop a comprehensive approach to future immigration.

"Nothing is going to impact this country [more] besides increased automation and technology than immigration will and this impact will grow in response to [the] declining birth rate, aging population and accelerated retirements," he told CBC News."

That's incredible. I know that through the SK immigrant nominee program in 2016, our goal was to bring in a number of people less than 7500 (won't say exact numbers). I assume that number will sharply increase - Regina is aggressively looking to become a larger city.

That being said, I can understand Rempel's concerns - rhetoric does nothing. Think this will be beneficial for Canada in the long run though.

Massive priority should be given to young families and educated twentysomethings if this plan is to pan out. 

They'll also need to stop pigeonholing educated immigrants. A friend of mine immigated with his parents during the Gulf War from Kuwait.

His Dad was an aircraft engineer, yet our Gov would not allow him to persue employment as such in Canada.... So he opened a bakery...

They should bring even more. And continue bringing in people for many decades. 

We are lucky that everyone in the world wants to move here. We can pick and chose who we bring, We should bring in the educated and the brightest from all corners of the world. 

We need to increase our country's population to 100 million as quickly as possible. We have so much land and so many natural resources, all we are missing is a larger population. 

If we had 100 million Canada would be one of the most powerful nations in the world in every sense of the word. 

34 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

We are lucky that everyone in the world wants to move here. We can pick and chose who we bring, We should bring in the educated and the brightest from all corners of the world. 

We need to increase our country's population to 100 million as quickly as possible. We have so much land and so many natural resources, all we are missing is a larger population. 

If we had 100 million Canada would be one of the most powerful nations in the world in every sense of the word. 

post retracted.

Quoted below

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

What? Never had a restaurant. Never said I did, find my post where i said it was restaurant. 

I lived there when I was younger. Still have family business there. I live in Greater Vancouver and have since I moved back in mid NIneties. My kids are born here and are almost in their teens now. What the heck are you talking about. I have lots of firends who are Canadian and their families own business in the States. 

You are the one who lives under a bridge if you don't travel any where out of Vancouver. 

Oh. Guess the whole "family owns a chain... in Washington" is what stuck from a thread about..  either tipping or crappy service? 

Yeah.

I'm forced to work in US a couple times a year, but I don't spend my money there. Well, I guess Hawaii still counts, unfortunately. I love Hawaii.

Anyways, I apologize for getting mixed up and calling you a troll. Your post was just a little over the top, no? Came off as totally facetious.

Only if they are all skilled immigrants.  We don't need more burger flippers, floor moppers or homemakers.  

We need immigrants with skills that are transferable, and not aiming to have the highest educated taxi drivers and baristas in the world.  

More actual entrepreneurs with funding and ideas to start businesses to hire more locals, not just as some scheme to import family/friends over.  

6 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Oh. Guess the whole "family owns a chain... in Washington" is what stuck from a thread about..  either tipping or crappy service? 

Yeah.

I'm forced to work in US a couple times a year, but I don't spend my money there. Well, I guess Hawaii still counts, unfortunately. I love Hawaii.

Anyways, I apologize for getting mixed up and calling you a troll. Your post was just a little over the top, no? Came off as totally facetious.

No, I don't feel it's over the top. I've felt the same way since my early 20's. Bring in qualified, educated immigrants at as fast a pace our economy could handle. I've always said to family and friends Canada would be a world power if we had 100 million. 

Mind you we are a G7 nation and well respected. But We could be held in same regard as  the likes of CHina US Germany France India GBR when our population doubles. 

I'm half way thru my life now so i don't see it happening in my life so I'm not living in fantasy land but I'd like to get as close as possible. 

And yes, my family owns business in Washington and California. But I don't like to get into detail about exactly what business etc. And yes, when i was younger i lived worked and went to school there. But never felt at home. I've always been Canadian, never became American even tho most of my family is now dual citizens. I chose to remain Canadian. 

This is a case of Schroedingers immigration plan

Those on the right are simultaneously claiming that the government will prop these new immigrants up because they're poor, but that immigrants are the only ones that can afford to live in urban centers.

The truth is that the birth rate in canada has declined so much that we face country wide population retraction.  Some of you dudes are so repugnant that women won't have your kids :P

Kidding kidding.  Seriously though, when provincial governments and federal programs ended and weren't renewed that saw students and youth given essential training for skilled positions such as essential trades and involvement in STEM fields and tuition became simultaneously empty and too expensive for those interested we NEEDED to bring in skilled individuals.

When our birth rates dropped and we weren't creating more populace on our own we needed to essentially import workers and more people.

A nation that has stopped building within itself has needs that aren't being met when it starts to consume without growth.  There are so many reasons that people should be coming to canada it makes me sad.

What the government SHOULD be doing is creating 5 and 10 year term programs that sees settlement of these families and groups put in to smaller communities.  not the vancouvers Torontos Kelownas Victorias etc.  Places that NEED growth.  Smaller urban centers in near rural settings that have stayed static in their growth patterns.  It would serve to simultaneously grow the smaller areas, open up newer markets and keep affordability in larger areas on a steady increase instead of rapid jumps, but would also allow for the slow integration of new cultures in t places otherwise known as being backwaters without tolerance.

5 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

This is a case of Schroedingers immigration plan

Those on the right are simultaneously claiming that the government will prop these new immigrants up because they're poor, but that immigrants are the only ones that can afford to live in urban centers.

The truth is that the birth rate in canada has declined so much that we face country wide population retraction.  Some of you dudes are so repugnant that women won't have your kids :P

Kidding kidding.  Seriously though, when provincial governments and federal programs ended and weren't renewed that saw students and youth given essential training for skilled positions such as essential trades and involvement in STEM fields and tuition became simultaneously empty and too expensive for those interested we NEEDED to bring in skilled individuals.

When our birth rates dropped and we weren't creating more populace on our own we needed to essentially import workers and more people.

A nation that has stopped building within itself has needs that aren't being met when tit starts to consume without growth.  There are so many reasons that people should be coming to canada it makes me sad.

What the government SHOULD be doing is creating 5 and 10 year term programs that sees settlement of these families and groups put in to smaller communities.  not the vancouvers Torontos Kelownas Victorias etc.  Places that NEED growth.  Smaller urban centers in near rural settings that have stayed static in their growth patterns.  It would serve to simultaneously grow the smaller areas, open up newer markets and keep affordability in larger areas on a steady increase instead of rapid jumps, but would also allow for the slow integration of new cultures in t places otherwise known as being backwaters without tolerance.

Totally agree, they did this with the eastern european immigrants, ie Ukrainians a few decades ago, settling them in Saskatchewan. But I think the problem is it would be hard to do now in the year 2017. How do you restrict movement or right to move within the country to someone who is Canadian. 

I guess they could enact laws but there would be backlash from media and maybe even other "free" nations currently friendly to us. I'm all for the plan tho. 

I've driven across Canada many many many times. From Vancouver to Toronto, MTL. Never got past MTL. But this country needs a lot of population between the cities in those small communities. I lived in Kamloops for 6 months and it's a beautiful town. But only 80k people. Needs to be half a million. 

22 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Hippy, another very accurate, articulate, political post on your part. Thanks.

Reason I'm quoting you- Southern Vancouver Island has massive growth potential. Basically, Duncan to Campbell River coastline, inland to the Strathacona range is pretty flat, fertile and undeveloped. Even Westshore (Langford/Colwood) hasn't reached an uncomfortable density. (I feel for those that commute into Vic from there though. We have the rails, Horigan should be getting a commuter train!)

57 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

omg you and I agree on something .

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Guy needs a swift Malthusian kick in the *ss!

if you don't like it start having more babies. tell all your child bearing eligible friends to do the same. This is about declining birthrates and the impact that will have on the overall economy. 

Archived