The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nic Dowd | #17 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

I've liked the way he's looked for the past couple games. I'm not expecting a world class player here, but he's fast, does seem to have some hockey sense, active stick and seems to be building some chemistry with Virtanen/Gaunce. What more could you ask for at this point? 

16 hours ago, KKnight said:

I've liked the way he's looked for the past couple games. I'm not expecting a world class player here, but he's fast, does seem to have some hockey sense, active stick and seems to be building some chemistry with Virtanen/Gaunce. What more could you ask for at this point? 

I agree that Green is giving him time to adjust which is fair enough. The question becomes what happens when Sutter returns. That might not become an issue as it appears his injury is not recovering as quickly as expected.  

On 2017-12-25 at 8:44 AM, Boudrias said:

I agree that Green is giving him time to adjust which is fair enough. The question becomes what happens when Sutter returns. That might not become an issue as it appears his injury is not recovering as quickly as expected.  

Our roster is at 22 so theres room for Sutter even with Boucher and Goldy up. And when Bo and Sven are ready to come back we'll have another injury because its the Canucks lol

Dowd does more Defensively as a forward than Subban could as a D man.  

Given the loss of D Dorsett and my respect for him in what could have been a golden year for him.. I think Dowd is a huge upgrade who is settling in to our systems, and is a dependable hockey player with size, strength, skill, and skating who can seamlessly play with any line we have.. I hope to see him Re-signed with the Canucks and be able to call Vancouver a Home.

23 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Dowd does more Defensively as a forward than Subban could as a D man.  

Given the loss of D Dorsett and my respect for him in what could have been a golden year for him.. I think Dowd is a huge upgrade who is settling in to our systems, and is a dependable hockey player with size, strength, skill, and skating who can seamlessly play with any line we have.. I hope to see him Re-signed with the Canucks and be able to call Vancouver a Home.

I thought the Montreal game was his best as a Canuck. All aspects of his game have improved. 

If he can stay the course, or even continue his improvement, I'd say we have the 4th line center position pretty much locked. He's looking pretty good, considering the realistic expectations. If he can produce something like 5g-10a per season, and keep up the sound defensive work and faceoff percentages, this guy will be a complete steal. Honestly, was Subban ever going to crack the lineup?

Here Jim B goes again, getting something for nothing. 

21 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Dowd is seizing a moment, great player and iQ.. brings a bit of that LA Kings edge with him too

Yeah, he's getting comfortable with the team and is really fitting it.  He's filling a role that the Nucks were lacking in and is doing it very well.

As usual, some of the folks around here were riding his ass with negativity when he first came on board and as usual, he needed time to adjust.  Now he's looking good and it's getting quieter in the Nic Dowd talk.

14 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Yeah, he's getting comfortable with the team and is really fitting it.  He's filling a role that the Nucks were lacking in and is doing it very well.

As usual, some of the folks around here were riding his ass with negativity when he first came on board and as usual, he needed time to adjust.  Now he's looking good and it's getting quieter in the Nic Dowd talk.

18:02 TOI vs Leafs

15:32 TOI vs. Habs 

not it bad for a 4th line centre.

Dowd has shown flashes of playmaking passes on top of his solid defensive play. I think he may turn out to be a better setup man than Sutter. Dowd's career stats shown above display him as a good assist man at all levels so far but I haven't noticed if he has the speed to match top skaters.

Loving the Nic Dowd pickup so far.  

He's hard to play against and not a liability on the ice.  His line has had sustained offensive pressure almost every night.  

On 1/9/2018 at 2:32 PM, Hutton Wink said:

With Gaunce, Sutter, and Dowd we have some very solid bottom-6 guys.  Just need our top-6 guys to get healthy, and arrive from development.

Dowd has been playing well for a couple of weeks now. Last night was his best game as a Canuck. Thought he should have been the 1st Star. His FO% alone let the Canucks control the game for long stretches. 

Archived