The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Craig Button Releases list of Top 50 NHL affiliated prospects (5 Canucks)

Adarsh Sant

How the heck did Alex Nylander made the list? 9 points in 25 AHL games and you can't even see his name on the Rochester American Stats sheet on hockeydb until half way down. Demko IMO should be a lot higher than Juolevi, Gaudette and Dahlen. It's good to see Pettersson getting recognized, but I think this list is a bit too random.

40 minutes ago, xereau said:

Demko is way too low.  WAAAAAAAAAAY.  He is playing in a real league, most of these kids are in kids leagues or European leagues. Demko is dominating the AHL on a crappy team.  He is top 10.

Agreed, was just going to post the exact same thing.  Demko is the top goalie prospect and for sure belongs in the top 10.

14 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

Going off this list, it will be hard to justify firing Benning. Number 1 on the list and 5 in the top 50? Not even including Lind. 

Not going off the list, most of us knew he amassed some pretty good prospects.  We're going to have a good, fast, young lineup very soon.

40 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

How the heck did Alex Nylander made the list? 9 points in 25 AHL games and you can't even see his name on the Rochester American Stats sheet on hockeydb until half way down. Demko IMO should be a lot higher than Juolevi, Gaudette and Dahlen. It's good to see Pettersson getting recognized, but I think this list is a bit too random.

A. Nylander is the most overrated prospect out there. Didn't impress me much at juniors. He killed the play or it died with him a lot. Not even doing  much in the AHL. I wouldn't trade Gaudette for him. Lastnameitis if you ask me. 

So a few weeks ago, I read that the Penticton Young Stars Tourney was cancelled.  But this was not exactly right.  It IS coming back, but with an as of yet unannounced new format.  Really glad, because it gives us fans a really good idea of the talent that is in the system.  I would have had no idea just how good of a prospect Zack MacEwen is.  This guy is going to make the NHL.  I would have had no idea who Jalen Chatfield even is.  He surprised the crap out of me.  I have watched OJ play for two tournies now, and although people like to criticize the hell out of this kid, I can see what the Nucks' brass does:  he is smooooooth out there.  Calm and moves that puck.  I like to cheer for darkhorses, and we have several down in the gears:  LaPlante and Carcone just to name a couple.  Who knows who the next Burrows is?

This coming year in Penticton should be the best for Canucks' fans in the history of the tourney.  I assume that Pettersson will make his debut there, as Brock did this last fall.  Dahlen would have been there but he got mono.  He will be there this coming fall.  Gaudette is going to get his showcase there too. Lind and Gadjovich will return and they both looked big and fast last year.  Demko has been there two years now, unsure if he will return.  Hoping so.  And then there's the coming picks.  This article has one thing right.. This is the best pool of prospects in the Canucks' system in a LONG time, perhaps even ever.

8 minutes ago, xereau said:

So a few weeks ago, I read that the Penticton Young Stars Tourney was cancelled.  But this was not exactly right.  It IS coming back, but with an as of yet unannounced new format.  Really glad, because it gives us fans a really good idea of the talent that is in the system.  I would have had no idea just how good of a prospect Zack MacEwen is.  This guy is going to make the NHL.  I would have had no idea who Jalen Chatfield even is.  He surprised the crap out of me.  I have watched OJ play for two tournies now, and although people like to criticize the hell out of this kid, I can see what the Nucks' brass does:  he is smooooooth out there.  Calm and moves that puck.  I like to cheer for darkhorses, and we have several down in the gears:  LaPlante and Carcone just to name a couple.  Who knows who the next Burrows is?

This coming year in Penticton should be the best for Canucks' fans in the history of the tourney.  I assume that Pettersson will make his debut there, as Brock did this last fall.  Dahlen would have been there but he got mono.  He will be there this coming fall.  Gaudette is going to get his showcase there too. Lind and Gadjovich will return and they both looked big and fast last year.  Demko has been there two years now, unsure if he will return.  Hoping so.  And then there's the coming picks.  This article has one thing right.. This is the best pool of prospects in the Canucks' system in a LONG time, perhaps even ever.

I would agree with best ever prospect pool.

to think that it wasnt that long ago that our hopes were pinned on Nik Jensen.  when you consider what Benning inherited in the cupboard and compare that to what it is now ...

Of course the naysayers will say the cupboard should be stocked after finishing so low for so long but when you consider Brock (23rd), Demko (second round), Gaudette (5th round) Dahlen (traded for), Lind (2nd round) you realize there is more involved here than just bottoming out and collecting whatever is coming to you.  Even Pettersson was taken higher than most ranked him at.

then we will hear how its all Brackett....yeah sure...even if that is the case who on earth recognized Brackett as a good mind and promoted him after several years of being in the lower ranks?

3 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

to think that it wasnt that long ago that our hopes were pinned on Nik Jensen.  when you consider what Benning inherited in the cupboard and compare that to what it is now ...

Of course the naysayers will say the cupboard should be stocked after finishing so low for so long but when you consider Brock (23rd), Demko (second round), Gaudette (5th round) Dahlen (traded for), Lind (2nd round) you realize there is more involved here than just bottoming out and collecting whatever is coming to you.  Even Pettersson was taken higher than most ranked him at.

then we will hear how its all Brackett....yeah sure...even if that is the case who on earth recognized Brackett as a good mind and promoted him after several years of being in the lower ranks?

Yep give Benning a few more drafts and a team that is entirely his.

A couple of thoughts:

- Super happy to see Pettersson at #1.  

- Joulevi is the 5th highest D, very happy with that.

- This is the first time I've seen Gaudette really get recognized as a top prospect.  He is the 3rd highest NCAA.

-I've never considered Dahlen to be one of our "core" prospects, nice to see him so high on the list.

-Demko could probably be higher, but goalies are going to be tough to project.  THe fact he is the 5th highest goalie , and one of the closest to jumping to the NHL is very positive.

-4 players in the top 31, 5 in the top 50 is amazing, we have never had this much high end depth in our prospect pool.  Didn't do the math, but I don't think any other team matched this.

-Assuming we graduate Gaudette and Pettersson next year, we probably replace them on this list with Lind and our 2018 1st.  

Was stoked to meet Butts when we were in Canmore a couple weeks ago with friends on vacation. He was kind enough to talk to my buddy wearing his Stars toque (we live in Dallas/Fort Worth) and me rocking my Nucks toque.  We chatted about scouting and how impressed he is with our cupboard of prospects. He raved about BB and said that EP has the potential to be a more-rounded Zetterberg type player who can play a two-way game while still putting up points. He also said Gaudette is going to be an outstanding 3rd line C who should put up 20/20 if he plays his game and stays healthy. My buddy even left the convo saying he is jealous of our prospect pool and he is a Stars fan. His wife was very sweet and patient as she could tell we were excited lol. 

27721392_10213720160776265_241180035_n.jpg

5 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Yes, Benning has done a great job and I hope he gets re-signed, but nothing will fill a prospects cupboard faster than finishing in the bottom year after year. Just saying...

Not true.  If that were the case, the Oilers (and FLA and AZ) would have overflowing cupboards and they don't.  Button pointed out correctly in an unconnected critique of the Oilers that "you can't build a team one player at a time", in reference to the Oilers poor drafting beyond the first-round (which the Canucks also suffered through before Benning). 

Finishing at the bottom only gives you access to the cream of the crop in any given year, but unless your scouts can find NHL players in the later rounds, you end up like Oilers system.

Archived