The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Canucks interested in Tyler Bozak

39 minutes ago, dukeofcanuck said:

We should stay the hell away from UFA's, build the team from within. Scared what JB will do now that he has so much room.

Would be nice to take on some one year cap anchors for draft picks. 

22 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Sign up some depth guys like MDZ/Gags again, but please no flyers on another LE type deal.

Build through the draft,  not through UFA.

I must admit, I am nervous to know JB has $14+M in his hip pocket. I hate to say this but while I think he is damned fine at drafting, he worries the crap out of me when it comes to signing "established" (ufas) players.

Whoever he has his eye on, I would expect him to run it by CDC first. Just to avoid a repeat of the Gagner/Loui situation.

I have a checklist for him. 

No long terms or NMC/NTCs - max 3 years.

No softies - we need pushback.

No slow players - we need speed.

No smurffs - we are small enough.

Now what's difficult about that?

51 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Well let's see what is difficult about signing UFA's....

-Demand. there are up to 30 other teams bidding against you so the market sets the price. You can say that you think we should have offered said player way less but the fact of the matter is lowballing only works when there is no other option for that player (vanek).

-Supply. Almost zero big players with pushback and speed make it to UFA because every team wants that.

-Mutual interest. It takes 2 to tango and we aren't at the top of most players list these days. 

-Security. These players are people with families and futures to worry about. Most of them just became UFA's for the first time after a long career. They want to cash in by signing a long term deal for financial security and if the supply, demand and mutual interest is there they will push for the stability of a NTC so they aren't forced to leave their city of choice for a undesirable destination.

Now what's so difficult about that?

56 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

I must admit, I am nervous to know JB has $14+M in his hip pocket. I hate to say this but while I think he is damned fine at drafting, he worries the crap out of me when it comes to signing "established" (ufas) players.

Whoever he has his eye on, I would expect him to run it by CDC first. Just to avoid a repeat of the Gagner/Loui situation.

I agree we really have a chance here to address needs that we have not been able to do in a long time via UFA's. No more band aids and just fill needs please JB. 

We have always needed a PMD ands this should be #1 priority considering we have nothing coming up the pipe as well. We are also small up front and this needs to addressed too especially with young forwards coming into the picture.

John Carlson should be the target as not only does he produce he is 6'3" and 215lbs and only 28 yrs old! You can't ask for anymore then that in a #1 Dman. I have also not seen much push back from the forwards but they also do not have the size as a Virtanen so you can't really blame them. 

We have enough "band aids" on the team(Ericksson,Gagner,MDZ) so this would be redundant to acquire someone like Bozak.

So I agree with pretty much everything but I would give Carlson a NMC and more term if that was required.

20 hours ago, cbdoubleu said:

I'd be nice to have another veteran centre for next season, but Bozak is another Sutter imo. And in 2 years we won't want either of them on the team. Whoever they look at down the middle has to be looking for a short-term deal.

I'd rather them go after scoring on the wings in JVR; bring Vanek back, and then see how Pettersson looks.

Rotating Granlund and Sutter is an acceptable short-term solution at 2C for now on team that's gonna be a loser anyhow. Gaudette could benefit from alternating looks with skilled guys as well.

wow,shocking how defeatist some fans are.Nothing is guaranteed,they'd have an equal shot at being a very good team next season.If Tavares or Neal is available they should get a shot.Should also look into young Dmen we could trade for.

19 hours ago, KKnight said:

There is this thing called a "Cap". Boeser is easily going to get a Pastrnak contract next year. I say we follow the rebuild, maybe try and convince a power forward like Kane to sign/believe in this team. A lot of decisions will depend on draft position this year. 

Boeser still has 2 years left on his entry contract,this was only his first year.

2 hours ago, dukeofcanuck said:

We should stay the hell away from UFA's, build the team from within. Scared what JB will do now that he has so much room.

we don't have enough ready talent to fill that void unless you want them to intentionally surrender the season.

17 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Funny, I've been kind of focused on the sadness of the Sedins retiring and the end of an era etc., but it never hit me that this frees up $14 million next year lol. I was a bit concerned that Pettersson would be forced into a top role right away because they'll need to replace the Sedins' points. Pettersson and Dahlen may need a year in Utica first. I don't mind the idea of adding Bozak and Neal.

Neal - Horvat - Boeser

Baertschi - Bozak - Gagner

Leipsic - Gaudette - Granlund

Eriksson - Sutter - Virtanen

Goldobin

It helps, a little. Maybe Benning frees up even more cap space and rosters spots with trades (Baertschi, Granlund, Gagner, Gaunce) and adds a big name player too (Kane, Tavares). It sure will look like a different team next season, with the Sedins gone and some new faces. 

I don't like Neal. He's been around too much. Seems like he might be a poor attitude in the room. He's also 30 and I don't want to put any more age into this team. Bozak is 32, no way I want him, he also gets injured too much. 

Lets stick with the younger guys. Mark Stone is only 25 is 6'-3" and 200lbs, Alex Chiasson aged 27 is 6'-4" and 208lbs 

There hasn't been much mention of Stastny in this thread. He'd be the guy I'd target on a short-term deal if the Canucks looking for someone who can fill in as a 2/3C and help anchor a powerplay unit. Don't know how much $$$ he'd be looking for, though.

Question is: Who will be the #2C next year? I don't think Pettersson will be ready for that role yet. Sutter and Gaudette aren't 2nd liners either. Canucks will need to get a temporary #2C until Pettersson is ready. As far as C free agents, the big two are Tavares and Stastny. I have my doubts we wrangle one of these guys though.

Filppula is 34, Bozak is 32. One of these guys should fill in fine. Unless Benning makes a trade for a better C.

I also wanted Neal or Van Riemsdyk for a Top 6 LW spot, but they might put better use by signing John Carlson instead, seeing as they already have a few skilled wingers. But to bring in Carlson means Tanev, Stecher or Gudbranson will need to go.  

Archived