The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Playoff Hockey : Still a street fight. CANUCKS ARE YOU WATCHING ?

Positive Canuck

I think you can give up on Tram. By the time he finishes his contract there will be players taking his spot, and he'll be back to fighting for a job again and clearly he doesn't want that.

Hopefully we'll get more guys with an edge but can still provide offence. 

I love playoff hockey, old school physical, lots of big hits, end to end action, great goaltending. 

I agree that in order to go all the way to the SCF, teams need to be physically dominant. I think WPG has a great chance of winning it all. Byfuglien is a beast, a difference maker. Who do the Canucks have going forward that could be good playoff-type, gritty, physical players? 

Horvat

Virtanen

Gaudette

Archibald

Leipsic?

Biega?

Dowd?

Labate?

Gadjovich

MacEwen

Lockwood

Gudbranson?

Not sure that list scares anyone, but it's not terrible. Canucks D is on the small side or just don't/can't play a mean physical game. Stecher, Del Zotto, Hutton, Juolevi, Pouliot. Getting Tryamkin back would be huge, but I'm not holding my breath. Maybe Benning drafts a good D with size and a bit of a mean streak? Not with the 1st pick anyway.  

25 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Really glad someone sent management this wake up call.

I doubt that Benning and Green watch the playoffs or realize what playoff hockey is like.

We need a "big brother"! 

Good thing the Blues and Stars took notes.;)

4 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Good thing the Blues and Stars took notes.;)

I'm thrilled that the Blues are golfing.

When you have a team like they do, and sell a player like Stastny at the deadline, you deserve to miss the postseason by one point.

59 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I love playoff hockey, old school physical, lots of big hits, end to end action, great goaltending. 

I agree that in order to go all the way to the SCF, teams need to be physically dominant. I think WPG has a great chance of winning it all. Byfuglien is a beast, a difference maker. Who do the Canucks have going forward that could be good playoff-type, gritty, physical players? 

Horvat

Virtanen

Gaudette

Archibald

Leipsic?

Biega?

Dowd?

Labate?

Gadjovich

MacEwen

Lockwood

Gudbranson?

Not sure that list scares anyone, but it's not terrible. Canucks D is on the small side or just don't/can't play a mean physical game. Stecher, Del Zotto, Hutton, Juolevi, Pouliot. Getting Tryamkin back would be huge, but I'm not holding my breath. Maybe Benning drafts a good D with size and a bit of a mean streak? Not with the 1st pick anyway.  

You might as well add Tryamkin. If the size becomes our main issue, I think the management and the owners will do everything they can do bring the big guy back. 

And why is Gudbranson a question mark? He has shown that he can be physical.

I also think players like Dahlen will be tough in the playoffs. It's not just the size, look at Marchand. He is built pretty tough despite only being 5'9.

2 hours ago, Positive Canuck said:

Kelly Sutherland gets 4/7 games

Was Sutherland the one that gave Daniel penalty for getting punched in the face? Or was it unsportsmanlike penalty for asking the ref for a penalty?

Did anyone from the media ever get to ask the ref why he called penalty on Daniel? That was one of the biggest WTF moments ever. I hope whoever the f*ck it was that called the penalty writes an autobiography after he retires and someone gets to ask this question, "what the f*ck was gong through in your head when you called penalty on Daniel Sedin when Marchand punched him repeatedly? In what world did you think that penalty was deserved?" 

It's because of the antics like this from the refs that the fans do not trust the NHL. Those emails from Colin f*cking Campbell showed that the NHL very much tries to "manage" the referees. I would say if the refs and the NHL did their job fairly, there would not have been a riot in 2011. Who would not be angry after watching a $hit like that?

2 hours ago, Positive Canuck said:

Our forward core is going to be so soft when we add Dahlen and Elias

gotta move guys like Baerschi, Gagner etc.....
Maybe consider B.Tkachuk + E.Kane to shore up that Left side and do whatever u need to do to get Trymakin back here.
Our back end needs a couple monsters.

Good looking line up...

E.Kane - J.Tavares - B.Boeser
J.Dahlen - B.Horvat- E.Pettersson
B.Tkachuk- A.Gaudette- J. Virtanen
B.Leipsic- B.Sutter - N. Goldobin

I like it...quality over quantity, this gets rid of mediocrity (Baer) might still have a place on the roster.

Add.     Mike Green. UFA

Evander Kane. UFA

Adam Lowry. RFA

Bring Back Tryamkin.

Our farm is set , bring up accordingingly.    Sautner is a pleasant surprise.

Go Utica Go.

Why all the talk about Tryamkin, is there something you guys know that the Canucks organization doesn't know?

We have signed Gudbranson, he will be in the "big mans" role on defense. We need immediate help on the back end and wishfull thinking that Tryamkin is returning is not gonna get it done.

46 minutes ago, khay said:

Was Sutherland the one that gave Daniel penalty for getting punched in the face? Or was it unsportsmanlike penalty for asking the ref for a penalty?

Did anyone from the media ever get to ask the ref why he called penalty on Daniel? That was one of the biggest WTF moments ever. I hope whoever the f*ck it was that called the penalty writes an autobiography after he retires and someone gets to ask this question, "what the f*ck was gong through in your head when you called penalty on Daniel Sedin when Marchand punched him repeatedly? In what world did you think that penalty was deserved?" 

It's because of the antics like this from the refs that the fans do not trust the NHL. Those emails from Colin f*cking Campbell showed that the NHL very much tries to "manage" the referees. I would say if the refs and the NHL did their job fairly, there would not have been a riot in 2011. Who would not be angry after watching a $hit like that?

He did answer.  Sutherland said it was because Daniel "back-talked" him after the fact.  Apparently Danny asked him if he was ever going to call a penalty and that is what earned him the call.

Crazy, but y'know...NHL.

3 hours ago, Positive Canuck said:

I'm fine with him just leaning on people and snapping their legs.

Doesn't have to fight all the time.
That man in a couple years will be insane if he has the work ethic for it.

Tryamkin has something Gudbranson does not.  Effectiveness on a consistent basis. Not to mention his shot which was wicked, and when perfected could be very lethal. Like Chara, he takes advantage of his wide arm radius and can really get some mustard on the puck.

I loved the way Nikita just, seemingly without effort, just slowly hedged in and squashed a player into the boards as he was trying to move forward with the puck, until he just fell down because he literally had nowhere else to go. It was hilarious. He doesn't have to run at guys to be effective.

I like how this OP is some rand9m guy who's telling JB (Cup winner as AGM in Boston, a tough, gritty team) and TL (Who played in one of the most brutal playoffs for a Canuck team in '94) to watch these playoffs. Man, this fanbase is so unreal. Why not acquire talent when you can acquire boxers who do nothing except drop the gloves! That's what we need! The Jets aren't this good without TALENTED PLAYERS, you can't just throw out some big guy and play him for 20 minutes, Buff, Laine, Scheifele are guys that are very good at hockey AND can play physical. The Bruins in 2011 didn't win the cup by just fighting, they won it with GOOD HOCKEY PLAYERS who aren't afraid to do dirty work. This team does need more players with physicality but they also need players that can put the puck in the net and defend. I'm sure JB and Co. can do this since JB was a big part of that Bruins team that won the cup. It's not like they're completely unaware this team isn't physical enough to compete. Bringing in Tryamkin will do nothing except hype up fans because he throws a few hits that take players down. From what I saw in his time here he wasn't defensively aware and lacked the conditioning, which is frustrating because he does have talent, but it seems the work ethic and dedication isn't there. MENTAL TOUGHNESS is the most important type of toughness, not throwing hits for fun, but fighting through the grind of an NHL season and Playoffs.

Agreed. We can barely make it through a regular season without a crap load of injuries. Going through the Western Conference will be a gauntlet like it always has been. We will need bigger bodies playing with the likes of Boeser, Petersson, Dahlen, etc. There will be players on other teams taking runs at our players and you never know how these games will be officiated.

More than anything this off season id like to add some size. It’s easier by comparison to add size over a goal scorer and a top 4 dman

im soooo sick of being an easy team to play against!

teams might look at us as an easy 2 points, but they better not look forward to playing us! 

Archived