The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Introducing the CDC "Bribe the Lottery" Charity Drive

Salter

This was originally a post on r/canucks on reddit, and when I mentioned OP should post on here (s)he asked me to, so I'll quote the post! 

As pretty much all Canucks fans know, there's pretty much a 0% chance that the Canucks will win the lottery this year. Sure the odds may say that we have a 7.5% chance, but we all know that those numbers are made up and Edmonton/Chicago will win.

With that in mind, I thought it might be worth trying to get a little karma on our side and have a charitable pledge drive based on the outcome of the draft lottery.

I'll be donating to the BC Children's Hospital Foundation

• $40 if the Canucks win the first overall

• $30 if the Canucks win the second overall

• $20 if the Canucks win the third overall

• $10 if the Canucks keep the 6th overall

If you're interested in participating comment below with your pledge and your charity of choice. I'll PM everyone who comments post-draft lottery as a reminder.

Note: Pledges don't have to follow my structure/amounts, if you can afford more, donate more! Charities are great! If you can't afford to make a big contribution, that's okay too, just pledge a dollar for a first overall win, every dollar counts!

At the time of this post, there is over $4500 possibly pledged, and hopefully more exposure can help add to it!

You can pick your own charity, I am picking Toronto Sick Kids Foundation, and whatever donation amount you'd like! Here is my structure: 

Canucks Pick:

1st Overall: $50

2nd Overall: $30

3rd Overall: $20

6th Overall: $10

7th Overall: $20

8th Overall: $30

9th Overall: $50

Comment down below if you wish to participate, what your charity of choice is, and the amounts, and I will add you to a spread sheet and send you a PM after the lotto as a reminder! Any amount, even a dollar, would be amazing! After the lottery, Saturday, feel free (but not required) to post a screen shot of your donation on here and we can cement it as a wall of fame/reputation!

This is a great idea!

I'll do the Canucks for Kids Fund by the following:

1st Overall: $30

2nd Overall: $20

3rd Overall: $10

EDIT: I've decided I'll also do $5 for 6th Overall, as that's probably better than we should expect too.

Gotta say, OP,  you are being quite magnanimous, offering a better donation for that Canucks losing spots in the draft than keeping their base slot of 6th.  Giving not just donating for something good to happen, but digging deeper when it doesn't work out as you would hope.

I love how people think the league would rig it for the oilers. The lottery conspiracy is about american teams remember? If you just keep on changing who the beneficiary is it sounds more like paranoid ramblings than something legit. Oh wait...

6 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Gotta say, OP,  you are being quite magnanimous, offering a better donation for that Canucks losing spots in the draft than keeping their base slot of 6th.  Giving not just donating for something good to happen, but digging deeper when it doesn't work out as you would hope.

I got the idea from a bunch of the people on reddit! Over 100 pledges there now I think! I liked the idea because even if it is a crappy result, you can feel good about it, you know?

Just now, Salter said:

I got the idea from a bunch of the people on reddit! Over 100 pledges there now I think! I liked the idea because even if it is a crappy result, you can feel good about it, you know?

Absolutely.  Not sure I would have thought of it, given what you posted from the reddit OP.  Makes it less of a bribe, and more some proactive karma.  Definitely a nice way of looking at it all.

I'm of the mind that if the Oilers win first overall, it would convince me that it's not rigged. It would be an absolute PR nightmare and go against all the parity talk if they were to win. I am trying so hard to believe that the Canucks will win first overall but almost 50 years of disappointment is tough to overcome. 

In saying that, I'm in:

51 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

This is a great idea!

I'll do the Canucks for Kids Fund by the following:

1st Overall: $30

2nd Overall: $20

3rd Overall: $10

• -AJ- pinned this topic

Archived