The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Montreal Canadiens Open to trading 3rd Overall Pick (If a Great offer comes up)

Rush17

7 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Sounds like a situation Jim could fully take advantage of.  If they prefer a D man they may want to slide down a few spots.  We could offer Baerstchi + 7th pick and another asset to possibly move up.  What are your guys thoughts on this?  

How is that a “great offer”? Lol 

4 hours ago, DonaldBrashear said:

I don't see the Canucks being interested in moving from #7 to #3. It makes very little sense to do that. I think Benning feels confident enough that he can find a good player at #7. Montreal would want way too much. They would want something like a Goldobin or Virtanen + 7th for the 3rd, plus maybe another prospect. That is too much to give up

For the Canucks this year I think we are pretty good picking 7th and it will actually fill a need more than picking 3rd.  Now I know at 3 you have the luxury of choice but when two wingers are BPA and the franchise needs centres and D, especially RHD, it actually works out.  We aren't getting the big prize but we should get a good piece that fits organizational needs.  I certainly wouldn't burn assets to move up to pick a winger when that is really our organizational strength.

I am not mad about picking seventh, what irks me is that Buffalo is picking first.  Edmonton often gets the blame for the changes in the lottery, but that isn't the whole story.  It was Buffalo's blatant tank to try and get McDavid.  They sold off every NHL asset and goaltender they had to try to get McDavid at the NHL didn't like that teams weren't even making the right noises about trying to compete.  In the end though we have got screwed every year and Buffalo ends up with Dahlin and Eichel.  The two biggest pieces for building a championship team, a number one D and a number one centre ( the pieces we lack) have come to Buffalo since the new draft rules that were enacted because of their tanking.

Edmonton wants a winger in the worst way to play with McDavid and they have a 3rd line centre making $6M per year. Edmonton will offer up RNH plus a d-man to exchange picks with Montreal as that will help them with the cap and get them the elite winger they covet. Montreal will do it as they will add two good centres in RNH and either Koitkaniemi or Valero.

Habs need a C in the worst way. That's what they're poking around for. So unless you wanna trade Horvat...

We don't need another winger. Had Canucks won 3rd, I'd hope Benning would do the same thing, and shop it to trade down. 

A different idea

Van trades #7 to NYI for #11 and #12.

Van trades Tanev Gadjovich and #11 to Montreal for Petry and that contract and # 3

Probably be more of an ask for Demko or Juolevi but Petry is more a 20 point guy with 1.5 more productive years recently on an Edler sized contract for 3 more years and with his 5.5 million now pushing against quicks billion dollar contract...it's an idea

5 hours ago, Rounoush said:

I actually don't care about moving up. I do, however, want another 1st rounder if Benning can work some magic.

Benning needs to draft a high end RHD.  That's Bouchard, Boqvist or Dobson.  Sorry, Hughes is a leftie.  This is organizational need. 

It would take a sweetheart deal to move away from this and Montreal is going to try to hit a home run by putting 3OA out there.  What's going to happen?  Nothing.  Nobody is going to give up the farm for a winger least of all the Canucks who don't have the assets required to play that game. 

Let's say they gave up Baertschi for example, then they have to run out and find a left winger who can play top 6.  Filling holes by creating holes is a fools game.  

31 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

A different idea

Van trades Tanev Gadjovich and #11 to Montreal for Petry and that contract and # 3

Probably be more of an ask for Demko or Juolevi but Petry is more a 20 point guy with 1.5 more productive years recently on an Edler sized contract for 3 more years and with his 5.5 million now pushing against quicks billion dollar contract...it's an idea

Montreal likes Petry though - he does just fine as their 2nd pairing RD.  Last season he was asked to play on their 1st pairing but Weber will be healthy next season.  He's not someone they need to move and they certainly wouldn't see him as a cap dump.  Bergevin also wants a great return for that pick.

17 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Benning needs to draft a high end RHD.  That's Bouchard, Boqvist or Dobson.  Sorry, Hughes is a leftie.  This is organizational need. 

It would take a sweetheart deal to move away from this and Montreal is going to try to hit a home run by putting 3OA out there.  What's going to happen?  Nothing.  Nobody is going to give up the farm for a winger least of all the Canucks who don't have the assets required to play that game. 

Let's say they gave up Baertschi for example, then they have to run out and find a left winger who can play top 6.  Filling holes by creating holes is a fools game.  

Well...if there's a GM to take advantage of it's totally Bergevin

Seriously we have to have a french kid somewhere on the team.  

Sven LeBartschi?

Bejamin Du Huttaen?

1 hour ago, Rick Blight said:

Edmonton wants a winger in the worst way to play with McDavid and they have a 3rd line centre making $6M per year. Edmonton will offer up RNH plus a d-man to exchange picks with Montreal as that will help them with the cap and get them the elite winger they covet. Montreal will do it as they will add two good centres in RNH and either Koitkaniemi or Valero.

This is a more likely scenario.  Edmonton really needs D but they also have holes on the wing created by moving Hall and Eberle.

Just now, mll said:

Montreal likes Petry though - he does just fine as their 2nd pairing RD.  Last season he was asked to play on their 1st pairing but Weber will be healthy next season.  He's not someone they need to move and they certainly wouldn't see him as a cap dump.  Bergevin also wants a great return for that pick.

Yes I know, but I still feel as though the last few seasons are outliers for Petry and that's a big ol contract to be betting with especially with Price's contract coming due here and Weber on the books.

Just trying to think outside the box

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Well...if there's a GM to take advantage of it's totally Bergevin

Seriously we have to have a french kid somewhere on the team.  

Sven LeBartschi?

Bejamin Du Huttaen?

Briesbois?

But seriously, the vultures are circling when Bergevin talks.  He's got to do something to save his job.

3 hours ago, qwijibo said:

How is that a “great offer”? Lol 

It would depend what that other asset part is lol. I could see them liking and wanting Breezer local kid some decent upside and strong leadership qualities. Could possibly be NHL rdy on the left side next season if he has an amazing summer. Pretty sure him and Baer would be a hard sell to move up three spots. I think there is a fair chance Brady Tkachuk could slide to us if all the right players go ahead of us.

16 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Yes I know, but I still feel as though the last few seasons are outliers for Petry and that's a big ol contract to be betting with especially with Price's contract coming due here and Weber on the books.

Just trying to think outside the box

They have cap space - about 18M (if 80M) to add 3 players.  They can spend to the cap - in fact they were criticised for being under the cap.   If he moves that pick - it's for an overpayment where fans, media will all be thrilled by the return.  

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

A different idea

What? Petry has been very good in Montreal. (Excluding his injury plagued season).  He’s put up 70 points over the last 2 seasons and brings offence brim the blue line.  There is zero negative value there. Montreal needs MORE goals, not less. Tanev is not what they need.  

Your proposal is not only not good value for Montreal, but it creates a hole without filling one of their primary needs. 

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

Baertschi out, Dahlen in ::D

11 hours ago, Rush17 said:

if they want this kid we would be a safe spot to select him.

Trade down to 7 and grab that guy and get added assets so you can stop looking incompetent in a move for once. Only if Svechnikov is around at 3. Although I am still fond of grabbing Kotkaniemi ourselves at 7, if not Boqvist.

6 hours ago, dura_mater said:

Baertschi isn't going to cut it.  He's the new Raymond in "Raymond, Ballard and a first".

I don't know where you're getting that from.  Why would the Canucks trade up to 3rd when they need a d man and there will be plenty available at 7.  I think you'd see them trade down before they trade up.

I would love the islanders 11 & 12 pick. If we could swing that deal than flip the 11 & 12 for a pick around 8-9 and a first next year oh man. We could still nab a d man and have an extra pick next year. There is some risk to that of course but the value of moving back up and getting a frst near year would be epic.  

Say we move the 11th & 12th for 9th and the Rangers 2019 first. The Rangers pick would likely be in the 8-20 range depending if they got better.  I'd imagine Jim would want to use both firsts this year though. I'm not sure if the islanders could part with.picks 11 & 12 though to move up 4 spots. That might cost someone's head lol.

5 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Trade down to 7 and grab that guy and get added assets so you can stop looking incompetent in a move for once. Only if Svechnikov is around at 3. Although I am still fond of grabbing Kotkaniemi ourselves at 7, if not Boqvist.

I thought he had a really cool name lol.

Archived