The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

2 hours ago, stawns said:

Given his mins, linemates and usage, Id say the numbers don't reinforce that myth.  Most young players struggle with consistency, so I don't see that as a knock against them and I'd say a 20-ish goal pace is more than an avg 3rd liner, wouldn't you?  

Just a question.....Would you know how many empty net goals Jake scored?

9 minutes ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

I'm never a fan of trading down more than one spot. You don't know what the other teams want in between, as a gm you're assuming. No one knows their rankings. What happens if you trade down 4 and someone in between takes your player? And you had better options at 10 vs 14? Its a bad move. You trade down one because you may know through conversation that the team behind you wants a player you are willing to pass on. Also trading down at 10 doesn't garner you much unless you trade into the 20's etc. Better to just take your guy at 10

That's why I said 4 "at most"....let's say he trades down 3 spots...with Seider, Krebs, Newhook and one other current top 10 guy still there...

We end up with another pick (3rd round sounds right) and either my guy or at least Krebs or Newhook or whoever falls out of the top 12, it is a deep draft and Benning does his own thing anyway...which seems to be just BPA and run ...so it may come down to someone he likes falling to him, just taking Seider or giving the hometown crowd something to talk about.

6 minutes ago, Mad Jon said:

Just a question.....Would you know how many empty net goals Jake scored?

Off the top off my head....less than 3....he isn't on the PK and he doesn't finish off one goal games....(he doesn't play in the last minute or 2 when we have a 1 goal lead)

Edited by Rollieo Del Fuego

I would be SUPER okay with Seider if we traded down and were able to still get another underrated next-tier skilled forward, like a Dorofeyev, Hoglander, or Puistola (I've been really high on this last guy of late!). 

Would love to snag Albin Grewe (hardnosed, excellent leadership qualities, underrated ability) or Nicholas Robertson (much of the same) in later rounds too.

Edited by nergish

58 minutes ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

I'm never a fan of trading down more than one spot. You don't know what the other teams want in between, as a gm you're assuming. No one knows their rankings. What happens if you trade down 4 and someone in between takes your player? And you had better options at 10 vs 14? Its a bad move. You trade down one because you may know through conversation that the team behind you wants a player you are willing to pass on. Also trading down at 10 doesn't garner you much unless you trade into the 20's etc. Better to just take your guy at 10

In a draft with this much parity you could be sitting a 10 with 4 players left on the board you really like. If you trade down 4 spots you are still guaranteed to get one of your guys and add an additional asset as well.

43 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Off the top off my head....less than 3....he isn't on the PK and he doesn't finish off one goal games....(he doesn't play in the last minute or 2 when we have a 1 goal lead)

Wrong, wrong and more wrong.  He DOES play in the last minute or 2 when we have a 1 goal lead.  He scored 2 EN goals, I believe.

• Upvote 1

Just because he said we need more big guys doesn't mean he's using the 10 pick on a big guy. I would imagine he still goes BPA regardless of size with the 10pick, then likely to target some bigger guys in round 2-3.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, cyoung said:

Just because he said we need more big guys doesn't mean he's using the 10 pick on a big guy. I would imagine he still goes BPA regardless of size with the 10pick, then likely to target some bigger guys in round 2-3.

Draft Zegras( hope he fills out) or hope Cozens or Dach fall problem solved and if Dach or Cozens falls, Bo would look great beside Petey and Brock in the future. 

4 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Draft Zegras( hope he fills out) or hope Cozens or Dach fall problem solved and if Dach or Cozens falls, Bo would look great beside Petey and Brock in the future. 

Agreed, Zegras is one of my favs this year. Don't pass up high end skill and talent for size. If the skill develops and we need size then we have assets with more value to acquire what we need. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, cyoung said:

Agreed, Zegras is one of my favs this year. Don't pass up high end skill and talent for size. If the skill develops and we need size then we have assets with more value to acquire what we need. 

The Hawks had it figured out after they got their high end guys, they took guys that played with an edge and kept the pool stocked with them. 

• Cheers 1

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 1:28 PM, R3aL said:

8-10 is negligible this draft imo wouldn’t be worth it at all to take lucic I’d rather have their second rounder or an additional pick. 

Plus poolparty involvement 

it would have to be a really good trade for us to do it. And with Eriksson we can’t really afford $12M in anchors 

Why not all 3?

Lucic, Pujuljarvi, 8thOA, 38th OA

For

Eriksson, 10th OA, and Goldobin

Swap prospect projects, pick up a 2nd, and move up two spots in the draft. Edmonton gets rids of Lucic's contract, still keeps their 1st top 10 pick, and tries Goldy where Pool failed.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, cyoung said:

With this draft being another wildcard crazy one, I am sure they will go with the BPA as some players they have ranked high will fall.

• Upvote 1

I think we end up with one of Zegras, Boldy or Newhook, with a slight chance of Krebs. I think Canucks scouting has finally figured it out. Take the guy who you think has the most skill and heart. Last 2 drafts have been huge successes in my opinion, so that gives Management some leeway. I’m just worried about free agency and trades, don’t like the stuff I’m hearing :unsure:

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, cyoung said:

Zegras fits our needs perfectly as a high end playmaker. He would look good with Horvat or Petey. Pretty sure he’s gone by 10 but you never know.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

I feel exactly the same way. It be nice if we know the severity of it.  This type of injury requires six months so he may be out until January.

Partial tear/cut. Simple surgery. Rehab takes some time but not so much because of the injury itself but because of the scar tissue given the Achilles is situated in a small area.

I would fully expect him to be 100% healthy come October.

Depending on who is left, he is not someone I would pass despite his injury. Unless Dach, Podk, Turcotte or Cozens are available, its between Krebs, Boldy and Zegras for me. Depends on how they interview (him agreeing to extended interviews in a walking cast, shows amazing character on his part)

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Seannnp said:

Why not all 3?

For

Swap prospect projects, pick up a 2nd, and move up two spots in the draft. Edmonton gets rids of Lucic's contract, still keeps their 1st top 10 pick, and tries Goldy where Pool failed.

Would rather have Bouchard, 8th OA, and Edmonton's 2020 1st. Don't think GMGB could pull that off, but Lucic's contract is so bad Edmonton has to give up a lot to get rid of it.

7 minutes ago, AC Readership said:

Would rather have Bouchard, 8th OA, and Edmonton's 2020 1st. Don't think GMGB could pull that off, but Lucic's contract is so bad Edmonton has to give up a lot to get rid of it.

I would expect them to buyout Lucic instead then give up what ends up being 3 1sts. Bouchard is never getting moved from there unless it is a huge overpayment. Agreed they would have to give up a lot, but a 2nd, a better prospect, and moving up 2 spots to potentially pick one of Dach, Cozens, Podk, Turcotte is definitely worth it.

5 hours ago, stawns said:

Given his mins, linemates and usage, Id say the numbers don't reinforce that myth.  Most young players struggle with consistency, so I don't see that as a knock against them and I'd say a 20-ish goal pace is more than an avg 3rd liner, wouldn't you?  

Sure, Stawns

JV is currently an above avg 3rd liner.  

Broberg is the prospect that is a possible selection at the 10th spot.  

1 hour ago, Seannnp said:

Why not all 3?

For

I’d do that trade just depending on what our protection list would look like 

I doubt Edmonton would do that tho