The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

12 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Wow, the forwards keep coming, eh?

Aidan McDonough (195th overall) is another USHL guy who was ranked pretty high on some people’s lists. Steal potential once again. And drafting from an area of strength, as far as our scouting department (New England prep, Thayer, Cape Cod, Cedar Rapids—lots of good relationships there that could give our scouts the inside track).

Can’t complain at all about these choices, but just surprised they’re not taking any D.

Talk about a straight draft lol

• Haha 1

I agree with the poster a couple of pages ago talking about Korczak. He would have been a really nice fit with what we have and another potential Woo type player. I'm not upset that we took Hoglander as I like him, but that would have been a good opportunity to address a weakness we have at RD. 

15 hours ago, TGokou said:

Yes same here. He was my go to pick at 10 and it's kinda cool to see your selection validated by an excellent organization. I actually believed his FLOOR was 1st pair shut down D and his ceiling would be 40-50 point all situations D man. I like this pick a lot.

I think he’s a perfect fit with Pettersson and Boeser. He could get to the hard to get areas and be the grit on the line with a scoring touch. 

If we Can add a Panarin to round out the top 6. Hate to also say but if we can trade Virtanen and 2020 second for Barrie. Then we pretty good I think. 

Maybe to top off a Myers signing just because even tho he would get over paid. With this line up I think we jump right up to win now category. Cheers

Edited by jptony604

8 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I agree with the poster a couple of pages ago talking about Korczak. He would have been a really nice fit with what we have and another potential Woo type player. I'm not upset that we took Hoglander as I like him, but that would have been a good opportunity to address a weakness we have at RD. 

Korczak is the safer pick. Everyone complained about Benning taking the safer route. Hoglander is a swing for the fences type pick. 

29 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I like Korczak too.  But if you have Korczak ranked in the late 30s and you have the opportunity to draft someone you have ranked in the 20s you have to do it.  

Edited by Pure961089
  • Upvote 2

Don’t care what anyone says. I think with just the first 2 picks alone canucks today came out winners in this draft. Even tho I’m a bit worried we have given up too much for JT Miller. But I hope we can keep it going in the 4th round and steal another gem

Edited by jptony604

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Yikes.

I hope they don`t think Teves and Rafferty are the answer. They seem like solid prospects, but we need to be looking for top 4 talent.

Like we would have found in the 4th to 6th rounds everyone's complaining about? :lol:

CDC is having major mental disconnects today lol

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 3

9 hours ago, aGENT said:

Like we would have found in the 4th to 6th rounds everyone's complaining about? :lol:

CDC is having major mental disconnects today lol

Hoglander is a great pick.  

But it still does not mean you can go (should go?) devoid of drafting any D.  Then top it up by trading your future draft picks, where on the odd chance a D is BPA, you might have a chance to right the ship.

And while I agree you can find players signing undrafted UFA's.  The odd's of finding the best physical talent on the planet with this method is not great.

4 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Would have been nice to draft Nikolayev along with Podkolzin. Kid models his game after Bergeron and oozes hockey IQ. Flames got a good one. 

We’ll just trade Palmu or Zhukenov for him somewhere down the line. Flames aren’t shy about giving us players they are ill-equipped to develop. 

• Haha 1