The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Charges Laid In Tragic Humboldt Crash

-DLC-

22 minutes ago, chon derry said:

Russell and Raelene Herold of Montmartre, Sask., filed the statement of claim Monday in Regina court on behalf of their 16-year-old son, Adam Herold, the youngest player on the team and one of its rising stars.

"Adam would have played in the National Hockey League," claims the lawsuit. "Adam had the potential to earn approximately $20-$30 million over the course of his NHL hockey career."

The statement of claim also says he would have taken over the family's farm.

How can that be proven?? He also had the potential to never make it or get injured too. I know it's well within his parent's legal ability to file such a law suit but asking to cover potential future earnings for a job that he never even had seems somewhat unnecessary.

4 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

Russell and Raelene Herold of Montmartre, Sask., filed the statement of claim Monday in Regina court on behalf of their 16-year-old son, Adam Herold, the youngest player on the team and one of its rising stars.

"Adam would have played in the National Hockey League," claims the lawsuit. "Adam had the potential to earn approximately $20-$30 million over the course of his NHL hockey career."

How can that be proven?? He also had the potential to never make it or get injured too. I know it's well within his parent's legal ability to file such a law suit but asking to cover potential future earnings for a job that he never even had seems somewhat unnecessary.

it does seem like 'piling on' but thats the latest...……. 

5 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

Ask Steve Moore....he can tell you.

18 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

All future loss is unknown/grey area, it's up to the lawyer to argue his case on behalf of the claimant.  It is not uncommon at all to sue for future loss.

3 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

I don't care about intent.   I'm sure he didn't MEAN to...but he did.  And there was a stop sign missed in a big rig at highway speed that rammed a bus that had the right of way.  Killed a bunch of kids.   Again, how dare you do that last line....out of respect to the grieving families...this wasn't just an error.  "Woops".  No, I have not wiped out a bunch of kids who are now dead.  For you to miss the significance of that means you're not seeing the big picture here.  This was preventable it seems...and they should still be here.

Also it wasn't just a regular stop sign, it had a flashing amber light. Suffice to say that JV's scenario of the driver "missing" the stop sign seems incredibly unlikely unless he was driving while distracted. 

3 hours ago, chon derry said:

looking at a map ther's a good possibility that he had already been through this same intersection , may or may not have seen any traffic the first time , who knows ? on his way to carrot river to pick up his load he should have been familiar with this 2 way stop intersection with blinking amber lite, did he down play the significance  of it because he didn't see traffic the first time thru?

That's what I think happened. Inexperienced driver, probably somewhat familiar with route and likely been through this intersection with no traffic. Due to the trees blocking the bus, he decides that he doesn't want to take the time to slow down because there is no one in sight just as has been the case in previous encounters with this particular intersection. 

People need to understand that rules aren't put in place to be burdensome. They were put in place by people far more informed than you are to keep you and everyone sharing the same road as you safe. This driver neglected his responsibility and it led to significant loss of life.

Aside from Alf and his incessant need to take the most absurd position and try to defend it, I think everyone realizes that excessively punishing this bozo accomplishes little. You can send a strong message without scapegoating one individual.

10 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

Not the same. He played hockey as his primary source of income and therefore did lose out on potential income in that case.

It's still a projection for "future" income and that's never certain.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=196295

defense,shoots left played 1 game in regular season and 8 in Humboldt's playoff for 2017/18  1 assist in the 8 playoff games, and none in the reg season.

Played 3 games with Prince Albert Raiders in 17/18, no points, minus 1.

elite prospects has more data

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/351958/adam-herold

2014-15 3.png Balgonie Prairie Storm Bantam AA SBAAHL 31 4 10 14 28   | Playoffs 8 3 1 4 10  
2015-16 3.png Prairie Storm Bantam AA SBAAHL 29 11 18 29 77   | Playoffs 4 1 0 1 12  
  3.png Moose Jaw Generals SMHL 1 0 0 0 0   |              
2016-17 3.png Regina Pat Canadians Midget AAA SMHL 43 2 9 11 26   | Playoffs 11 1 4 5 8  
  3.png Prince Albert Raiders WHL 1 0 0 0 0 0 |              
2017-18 3.png Regina Pat Canadians Midget AAA “C” SMHL 43 6 24 30 28   | Playoffs 7 1 5 6 6  
  3.png Humboldt Broncos SJHL 1 0 0 0 0   | Playoffs 8 0 1 1 0  
  3.png Prince Albert Raiders WHL 3 0 0 0 0 -1 |  

8 minutes ago, Toews said:

Also it wasn't just a regular stop sign, it had a flashing amber light. Suffice to say that JV's scenario of the driver "missing" the stop sign seems incredibly unlikely unless he was driving while distracted. 

That's what I think happened. Inexperienced driver, probably somewhat familiar with route and likely been through this intersection with no traffic. Due to the trees blocking the bus, he decides that he doesn't want to take the time to slow down because there is no one in sight just as has been the case in previous encounters with this particular intersection. 

People need to understand that rules aren't put in place to be burdensome. They were put in place by people far more informed than you are to keep you and everyone sharing the same road as you safe. This driver neglected his responsibility and it led to significant loss of life.

Aside from Alf and his incessant need to take the most absurd position and try to defend it, I think everyone realizes that excessively punishing this bozo accomplishes little. You can send a strong message without scapegoating one individual.

Wasn't even amber....flashing red.

38 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

This is a stretch and looks they are looking to cash in and I guess they can't be faulted for trying. 

7 hours ago, Toews said:

Kinda vague here imo.

what is excessive to you, i, a judge, and the mother of a dead son could be entirely different most likely.

what strong message is available?

to me scapegoating is not a word that applies to someone who has killed 16 people through negligent practice.

in your description of the event, if that is what happened, it’s as near straight up murder as I can see.  Sure he didn’t know the people in the bus. Sure there was no direct personal intent. But in your scenario the truck driver displayed blatant disregard for human life.  That is an example of someone who values an invoice over human life.

honestly I don’t see how this man can not go to jail for a significant amount of time.  I’m not suggesting a life sentence but very lengthy.

that is a message.  

A tragedy like this has to set a precedent.  Scapegoat may be the word you choose.  But frankly Mr. Sidhu should feel fortunate to see the outside world at this point.  He is alive after all.  And anyone, in this country, who is involved in a like accident in the future should never come out.

8 hours ago, riffraff said:

Kinda vague here imo.

what is excessive to you, i, a judge, and the mother of a dead son could be entirely different most likely.

what strong message is available?

to me scapegoating is not a word that applies to someone who has killed 16 people through negligent practice.

in your description of the event, if that is what happened, it’s as near straight up murder as I can see.  Sure he didn’t know the people in the bus. Sure there was no direct personal intent. But in your scenario the truck driver displayed blatant disregard for human life.  That is an example of someone who values an invoice over human life.

honestly I don’t see how this man can not go to jail for a significant amount of time.  I’m not suggesting a life sentence but very lengthy.

that is a message.  

A tragedy like this has to set a precedent.  Scapegoat may be the word you choose.  But frankly Mr. Sidhu should feel fortunate to see the outside world at this point.  He is alive after all.  And anyone, in this country, who is involved in a like accident in the future should never come out.

Im following the story on news outlets and it was mentioned that it isn't even certain the stop sign was ran.

It's all assumptions right now based on where the 2 vehicles ended up.  Nobody knows exactly what happend yet and this will try to be determined in a trial.  

People need to let it play it out and stop acting like they know what exactly happened and who is to blame when police and courts don't even know yet.

2 hours ago, JV77 said:

Im following the story on news outlets and it was mentioned that it isn't even certain the stop sign was ran.

It's all assumptions right now based on where the 2 vehicles ended up.  Nobody knows exactly what happend yet and this will try to be determined in a trial.  

People need to let it play it out and stop acting like they know what exactly happened and who is to blame when police and courts don't even know yet.

You’re right.  There is a process.  

I am going to get a lot of hate for this but I find it egregious that a family is filing a lawsuit against the maker of the bus.  Millions of dollars were raised for these families worldwide to help them cope and cover the costs of future earnings, why put the blame on the bus manufacturer? 

9 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

I am going to get a lot of hate for this but I find it egregious that a family is filing a lawsuit against the maker of the bus.  Millions of dollars were raised for these families worldwide to help them cope and cover the costs of future earnings, why put the blame on the bus manufacturer? 

Don’t think you’ll get hate for a reasonable question.

20 hours ago, RonMexico said:

if he was going to play in the NHL shouldn't he not been in the WHL and not some minor league.? And if he was good he should have been playing in the WHL like alot of player who are that age are in that league

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

My point being in support of the families and their suit....

what pisses me about more was that the doctor cleared him to play and he was offered multiple contracts but he declined knowing he would make less money. 

28 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

The claim also seeks a court declaration that all coach buses carrying sports teams in Saskatchewan be equipped with shoulder harnesses, and other safety devices, namely early warning devices.

I have mixed emotions about this.  On the one hand, the family PUT their child on the bus and no one forced them to do so.  If they felt it was unsafe, then decisions had to be made.  To now have an issue with it sort of is a matter of shared responsibility to me.  We makes choices and decisions and so to "go back" to address this is a bit of a reach for me.

However, it is seemingly about making things safer for future passengers, so I'm all in.   Ridiculous that vehicles transporting our kids do not have seatbelts.

I thought I'd read something about the roof too...will have to see if I can find it.

Archived