The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Flames re-sign Elias Lindholm

32 minutes ago, Odd. said:

I guess they're hoping he becomes a 50+ point forward moving forward. We'll see how it turns out. They still need to re-sign Hanifin and he is going to want more than the cap space Calgary has atm.

They got Neal probably to play with Gaudreau and Monahan, so that'll boost their scoring a bit. Also, their goaltending is a HUGE question mark. If Smith gets injured, whatever chances they had in making the playoffs becomes non-existant. They are relying on a 36 year old goaltender.. with an inexperienced back-up behind him, and no goalie prospect in close proximity to challenge those two. 

Virtually no scoring depth after Gaudreau, Monahan, Backlund and Tkachuk. They also don't have anyone in their pipeline that could come in and help them. Very bleak outlook, I'm curious to see how their season plays out.

Jon Gillies was suppose to be the goalie of the future. I imagine he will have a bigger role this year. Imo he won't be what they hoped he would be. 

45 minutes ago, Keenan's Moustache said:

.... but where would the 18-yr old Sam Bennett play?  :rolleyes:

On another team if I was Calgary. Personally I don't mind Sam Bennett but there is no room on the Flames for him. Treliving should try and trade him for a pick or a goalie.

16 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Jon Gillies was suppose to be the goalie of the future. I imagine he will have a bigger role this year. Imo he won't be what they hoped he would be. 

Tyler Parsons, albeit still young enough to turn things around, had a very disappointing season, and barely could keep afloat in the ECHL. I remember Flames fans thinking he was going to be their Jon Quick or something.

Calgary for some reason is really bad at developing and producing quality goaltenders. They took MacDonald over the highest rated goalie in 2014 in Demko, Joni Ortio busted, Jon Gillies took a step back, an inexperienced Rittich, not to mention many failed goaltenders over the past 2-3 years like Jonas Hiller, Eddie Lack, Karri Ramo just off the top of my head. This with the supposed "best defense in the NHL".

Sounds more of a goalie graveyard to me.

My thoughts were it was a great deal at that price point for this player. Term is a bit long but if he consistently produces its a steal. 

But everyone here seems to think otherwise..what am I missing :huh:

1 minute ago, HI5 said:

My thoughts were it was a great deal at that price point for this player. Term is a bit long but if he consistently produces its a steal. 

You’re missing this is a Canuck’s board, and many of us HATE THE FLAMES, and want them to SUCK. 

(We have a history of playoff hockey against the Flames, and too often got pummeled.)

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

You’re missing this is a Canuck’s board, and many of us HATE THE FLAMES, and want them to SUCK. 

(We have a history of playoff hockey against the Flames, and too often got pummeled.)

Honestly,  who cares that it’s a Canucks board.  It shouldn’t preclude you from having an intelligent unbiased conversation about something as simple as the contract status of a player. 

Just now, qwijibo said:

Honestly,  who cares that it’s a Canucks board.  It shouldn’t preclude you from having an intelligent unbiased conversation about something as simple as the contract status of a player. 

That’s what the Flame’s board is for.  Go there, and get congratulations from Flame’s fans.

Sure there are fans who like teams other than the Canucks.  How a true Canuck fan can like the Flames is beyond me.  That’s like a Man U fan also cheering for Man City.  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

That’s what the Flame’s board is for.  Go there, and get congratulations from Flame’s fans.

Sure there are fans who like teams other than the Canucks.  How a true Canuck fan can like the Flames is beyond me.  That’s like a Man U fan also cheering for Man City.  

It’s not about cheering for one team or another.  It’s about discussing hockey in general.  

1 minute ago, qwijibo said:

It’s not about cheering for one team or another.  It’s about discussing hockey in general.  

I know you’re right, but really hate the Flames.  Any signing they make sucks, because they suck.  

So their depth is now:

Monahan

Backlund

Lindholm

Ryan

Pretty deep down the middle. Add Gaudreau and Tkachuk on the left and Neal and Frolik on the right, and they're definitely going to score more. I would expect a return to the playoffs this year for them.

2 hours ago, HI5 said:

I agree, if the Canucks had Lindholm on that term/price I'd be happy. 

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

So their depth is now:

Monahan

Backlund

Lindholm

Ryan

Pretty deep down the middle. Add Gaudreau and Tkachuk on the left and Neal and Frolik on the right, and they're definitely going to score more. I would expect a return to the playoffs this year for them.

hmmm... maybe. Not exactly an intimidating bottom C group though. I suppose Neal could add some of the grit lost from Ferkie but I don't look at that group and worry for our guys. 

9 minutes ago, rekker said:

Lindholm for 5 million per. Does TO still get Nylander locked up for 6 million times 6 as everyone in Laf land is speculating. To me Nylander > Lindholm. 

Not even close.  Nylander is looking north of 7.  Marner is looking north of 8.  

30 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

So their depth is now:

Monahan

Backlund

Lindholm

Ryan

Jankowski and Bennett down the middle also.

Archived