The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Gillis TSN 1040 Interview

Qwags

I despise the man as the GM who didn’t see it coming and led his one dimensional team of hair pullers, biters, divers, bitch-slapped twins, captain goalies, ref-gate, 7th man &^@#ing circus act $&!#, right into the toilet as they hockey world watched and jeered. 

&^@# you, Mike Gillis. 

20 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I despise the man as the GM who didn’t see it coming and led his one dimensional team of hair pullers, biters, divers, bitch-slapped twins, captain goalies, ref-gate, 7th man &^@#ing circus act $&!#, right into the toilet as they hockey world watched and jeered. 

&^@# you, Mike Gillis. 

Why don't you tell us, how you really feel 189lb....:lol:

On GM drafting...…….

I think that the GM builds the team (scouting staff), sets the direction, and oversees the execution of the draft

And intervenes, where scout staff can not rationalize their choices (may happen, may not)

But the fact is, he oversees all hockey operations

There is no acceptable way to deflect......It is the GM's responsibility......period!

He picks the driver...…..

3 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

The owner meets with the President, and ultimately rubber stamps the selection, after meeting with the President to set the teams direction, the President then hires a GM that will follow that direction or philosophy 

The president also, will also be included in all large extended contracts, where the  money will generally have a long term implication on the team, and most likely extend past the GM's tenure ………..

That is pretty much acceptable practise by GM's in most industries...…..I can't imagine Aquilini being any different

Of course he impacts the club

I remember how this team under Gillis was constantly compared to the Detroit model of retooling and staying competitive as the Red Wings did successfully for almost 15 years. We even tried to duplicate the type of players and the “left wing lock” defensive system used by Detroit. That whole Detroit model didn’t work so well in the salary cap era  when you couldn’t just outspend everyone on free agents every year.

Gillis was stuck in a time warp.

29 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

I remember how this team under Gillis was constantly compared to the Detroit model of retooling and staying competitive as the Red Wings did successfully for almost 15 years. We even tried to duplicate the type of players and the “left wing lock” defensive system used by Detroit. That whole Detroit model didn’t work so well in the salary cap era  when you couldn’t just outspend everyone on free agents every year.

Gillis was stuck in a time warp.

The Canucks didn't have Lidstrom, one of the 5 best d to ever play the game.

9 hours ago, MikeyD said:

I actually felt in 2012 we had a good team that could have easily contended but we tried too hard to turn from a speedy/skilled team to a bruising team like Boston. We changed the atmosphere way too much and it screwed us. 2012 in my opinion would have been WAYYYYY too early to blow everything up. Still had a lot of the core in their primes. We just needed a different angle on sustainable talent. 

Biggest thing to me about 2012 is Keith's assault on Daniel Sedin. 

2012 Playoffs without Daniel: 0 wins 3 L

2012 Playoffs with Daniel: 1 win 1 OT loss.

8 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Gillis was caught up with the ghost of the Bruins series, always wanting the team to be bigger and bruising after the finals but it coincided with the NHL game shifting to smaller, skilled and most of all, faster. Add to the absolutely terrible drafting (Alex Mallet in the 2nd round who was UNRANKED by most scouts, Nick Jensen over Brandon Saad), the team was doomed and staring at a rebuild square in the eyes

He admitted he made a huge mistake in not revamping the scouting staff earlier.

2 hours ago, Vanuckles said:

This interview reminded me how much Mike Gillis lacks in humility and how smug he was. It also reminded that I hate whatever their names are even more.

If anything, he has gained humility and lost the smugness that he had during his tenure. He admitted all the faults he made and realized then. 

Did you even listen to the interview?

46 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

Biggest thing to me about 2012 is Keith's assault on Daniel Sedin. 

2012 Playoffs without Daniel: 0 wins 3 L

2012 Playoffs with Daniel: 1 win 1 OT loss.

Not to mention Kesler had a bad shoulder and couldn't score a goal basically since February.

10 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

drafting.JPG.69201fa5bd2cb08aa98efdcb48980804.JPG

I guess this is why some teams have their scouts call out the picks sometimes.  Great interview, Torts will be mad.  Blames owner for direction team took after 2011.  

imo the best single thing Benning has done is assemble a great scouting staff. 

Haha.

The part that obviously jumps off the page is "things intervened".

Mos of us can guess who 'thing #1' was.

Haven't listened yet but respect the honesty of reflecting and realizing he was way too slow in revamping the team's scouting infrastructure.

Also obvioulsy took the high road where Tortorella is concerned - that was obvioulsy never a Gillis decision and his days were clearly numbered by then.

Did a better job imo of bringing in half a roster of complementary pieces to the existing group - that was his true strength imo - the ability to fill out a roster with players you can win with, and a mix that fit well.  Great job by AV of also transitioning his systems and general coaching philosophy.

But "things intervened" is a nutshell that pretty much confirms that he was among the walking dead his last few seasons as GM.  The post-Tortorella gongshow that Benning and Linden inherited is not simply on Gillis.  Where he is clearly responsible is where he took responsibility - his regime (Horvat aside) did a relatively poor job of maintaining a realistic prospect pool.  The evidence is exceedingly clear in hindsight - aside from a few crafty moves (ie signing Tanev as a FA) - the Gillis era was Bull on complementary contending pieces, and Bear on the future (which would appear to run to ownership - assuming they were the "things" that intervened - as much as his management team).

Archived