The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Sprong on the Trade Block

Provost

1 minute ago, CanuckinEdm said:

These aren't top 6 wingers but they are the current players we have in our top 6.... That was my joke 

Ok - well fair enough, humour is - but here's my (counter) joke.

Goldobin would lead the Oilers in winger scoring (while the Canucks arguably have a handful of wingers that have been more effective than Goldobin).

Baertschi - in 10 games - and Granlund in a strictly shutdown role (with 23% offensive zone starts) - would be 2nd in Oiler winger scoring.

Maybe you could help them with their winger class.  

Including players like Schaller - whose production has come with 34.9% ozone starts - may be funny, but it's not real.  He's playing a shutdown role with Horvat in the present - whose ozone starts have plummeted to 44% overall this season, dropping drastically from early on when Sutter and Beagle were in the lineup.  So really, Schaller, Virtanen et al are not playing a 'top 6' role - nor really is Horvat in terms of deployment - he's playing a big-minute shutdown role ala Sutter.   The traditional concept of the top 6 doesn't really hold water in the modern NHL in many ways.

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

Ok - well fair enough, humour is - but here's my (counter) joke.

Goldobin would lead the Oilers in winger scoring (while the Canucks arguably have a handful of wingers that have been more effective than Goldobin).

Baertschi - in 10 games - and Granlund in a strictly shutdown role (with 23% offensive zone starts) - would be 2nd in Oiler winger scoring.

Maybe you could help them with their winger class.  

Including players like Schaller - whose production has come with 34.9% ozone starts - may be funny, but it's not real.  He's playing a shutdown role with Horvat in the present - whose ozone starts have plummeted to 44% overall this season, dropping drastically from early on when Sutter and Beagle were in the lineup.  So really, Schaller, Virtanen et al are not playing a 'top 6' role - nor really is Horvat in terms of deployment - he's playing a big-minute shutdown role ala Sutter.   The traditional concept of the top 6 doesn't really hold water in the modern NHL in many ways.

Fair enough, not that it matters but RNH may be listed as a center but hes played wing all season.

1 hour ago, CanuckinEdm said:

Fair enough, not that it matters but RNH may be listed as a center but hes played wing all season.

and perhaps that explains some of their struggles.  no way in hell I'd be converting RNH to a winger when I have Strome at center ice.

The way things look on this thread, it looks like people just want him because he's born in the Netherlands. Other than being Dutch, does he actually bring us anything else we don't already have?

I like getting new players too but why can't we give our current players a chance to fill role, get better, etc? I know it's boring and all to not get new players so we can talk about it for 1 week before forgetting about him. I especially ask this if we have to give something up to get them which, in this case, we do. Rather poor asset management to just acquire redundancy.

2 hours ago, The Lock said:

The way things look on this thread, it looks like people just want him because he's born in the Netherlands. Other than being Dutch, does he actually bring us anything else we don't already have?

I like getting new players too but why can't we give our current players a chance to fill role, get better, etc? I know it's boring and all to not get new players so we can talk about it for 1 week before forgetting about him. I especially ask this if we have to give something up to get them which, in this case, we do. Rather poor asset management to just acquire redundancy.

People are having fun with the Dutch thing.

He is a skilled young guy who can play either wing.  We have guys like Schaller playing in our top LW slot.... so it isn’t like there isn’t room for more skill.

He has serious wheels and drives to the net.... kind of a perfect fit for Green’s system.  He needs to learn the defensive side of the game, but hasn’t and won’t grt a chance to play a serious role on a stacked contending team.

it would be a buy low on a guy who is probably already as good or better than Leipsic, Goldobin, and Dahlen if he gets a chance to play with skilled linemates instead of stuck on a 4th line like now.

We aren’t a team with redundancy anywhere yet.

1 hour ago, Provost said:

He is a skilled young guy who can play either wing.  We have guys like Schaller playing in our top LW slot.... so it isn’t like there isn’t room for more skill.

He has serious wheels and drives to the net.... kind of a perfect fit for Green’s system.  He needs to learn the defensive side of the game, but hasn’t and won’t grt a chance to play a serious role on a stacked contending team.

it would be a buy low on a guy who is probably already as good or better than Leipsic, Goldobin, and Dahlen if he gets a chance to play with skilled linemates instead of stuck on a 4th line like now.

So we basically bring in more "skilled guys" rather than giving our skilled prospects like Lind a chance later on? We're not even playing poorly at the moment to the point where we even need Sprong (or Lind for that matter. I'm just throwing his name out there as an example anyway). Let me ask you this: if a player like Lind was ready and Sprong took his spot, would you be satisfied with that?

I guess what I'm getting at is, we don't need Sprong, especially if we find ourselves trading away someone like Baertschi. That's just a sideways move if anything. Let's improve our team and not just trade for the sake of trading.

Buy low on the waiver wire, not through trading, at least not through a major trade. Trading away Baer or someone else is NOT buying low in my opinion.

I wonder what Pittsburgh is looking for. I wouldn't mind adding Sprong, but only for a minor move or if they're looking for veteran help like a retained Gagner or a Del Zotto. I doubt they would want Pouliot back. Would they want someone like Leipsic? 

Does Sprong, or can he, play LW? If so, what about Goldy for Sprong?

I don't like Goldies brain farts and bad passes leading to dangerous scoring chances for the other team. I must say, I do not know much about Sprong other than where he was drafted. I do know he has half of Goldies assists playing limited minutes while Goldy has his points from prime time on EPs wing and on the PP.

On 11/10/2018 at 10:18 PM, Provost said:

Per HF he only plays RW.  

On 11/10/2018 at 2:31 PM, The Lock said:

So we basically bring in more "skilled guys" rather than giving our skilled prospects like Lind a chance later on? We're not even playing poorly at the moment to the point where we even need Sprong (or Lind for that matter. I'm just throwing his name out there as an example anyway). Let me ask you this: if a player like Lind was ready and Sprong took his spot, would you be satisfied with that?

I guess what I'm getting at is, we don't need Sprong, especially if we find ourselves trading away someone like Baertschi. That's just a sideways move if anything. Let's improve our team and not just trade for the sake of trading.

Buy low on the waiver wire, not through trading, at least not through a major trade. Trading away Baer or someone else is NOT buying low in my opinion.

You not buying into a guy cause you essentially threw a "what if" scenario out there. Look how I can make buying into Sprong sound really good with my own "what if". 

What if we trade for Sprong and he becomes a 30 goal scorer with Goldy and Petey? What if all it costs us is MDZ and Granlund/Motte/Leipsic? 

Someone like Lind isn't ready. So Sprong is taking no spots from any young skilled guys. We have no skilled young guys that are NHL ready, particularly on the right side that Sprong is listed as. Sprong is 21, he IS a young guy. If we aren't interested I hope the reasoning isn't cause we have young skilled guys in the AHL that may be NHL ready next year.

15 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

Actually he has been playing very well with Mcdavid. They put that line together near the end of last season. 

I'm talking about Strome.  i have no doubt RNH (or Draisaitl) can perform on McD wing - I'm simply not putting him there when that translates into Strome centering their 3rd line.

Strome has 1 pt.  Lucic has 5 playing with him.  That is anemic.  No secondary scoring.

Edmonton is a one line team.  Tobias Reider is their 4th leading scoring forward - with 7 points.

And that team is 21st in the NHL, 2 pts ahead of the 29th team.

It's early, etc - but I think they need to spot a longer term trend of an underperforming, not particularly well-built team.

McLellan is a lame duck coach imo.

And unfortunately, likewise with that management group, so I won't be holding my breath for some corrective moves.

(But I would be making that call to try to 'help' them out with a winger upgrade:ph34r:)

17 hours ago, mll said:

Per HF he only plays RW.  

I have read several places that he has played both sides.  Here is one article.

Another one talked about him playing LW on the PP his entire 2nd year of junior, and sometimes also at even strength.

The Penguins just have better choices than him.  We aren’t in that luxurious position.

http://blogs.post-gazette.com/sports/94-empty-netters/45186-sprong-can-play-left-wing-but-not-right-now-10-19-15

15 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

You not buying into a guy cause you used essentially threw a "what if" scenario out there. Look how I can make buying into Sprong sound really good with my own "what if". 

What if we trade for Sprong and he becomes a 30 goal scorer with Goldy and Petey? What if all it costs us is MDZ and Granlund/Motte/Leipsic? 

Someone like Lind isn't ready. So Sprong is taking no spots from any young skilled guys. We have no skilled young guys that are NHL ready, particularly on the right side that Sprong is listed as. Sprong is 21, he IS a young guy. If we aren't interested I hope the reasoning isn't cause we have young skilled guys in the AHL that may be NHL ready next year.

Absolutely.

Also, if too many young guys happen to pan out and crowd the roster... that is a great thing.

You can always trade away young, good, skilled players for a nice return.  That just gives you some extra picks or players to fill other needs and keep new pieces in the pipeline.  It is all about the price you pay.

I just think he has a ton of upside and plays a type of speed game that could go well with either Petterson or Horvat.

Archived