Sign in to follow this  
VIC_CITY

Should we go out and get a "tough guy"

Rate this topic

With Beagle, Roussel and Schaller added to the mix we have speed and grit.

We are so much faster than last year with the added tenacity from our signings we honestly are just frustrating to play against.

I really like Beagle in particular. He may not drop the gloves but he's there at both ends keeping the other guys honest. Liking him more and more each game.

Add JV and Guddy I no longer worry about getting pushed around like last year.

• Upvote 2

Just now, nuck-lifer said:

We are so much faster than last year with the added tenacity from our signings we honestly are just frustrating to play against.

I really like Beagle in particular. He may not drop the gloves but he's there at both ends keeping the other guys honest. Liking him more and more each game.

Just having Guddy on the bench makes all our guys feel just a bit more confident when battles happen.  I see Guddy making Jake more confident to mix it up.  

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

You can all laugh at Lucic, but I'm telling you that none of the Oilers have to worry about someone taking a run at them unpunished.  

Image result for virtanen mcdavid gif
  • Like 1
  • Hydration 2

28 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

That was the same with most Canucks hits, they hit mostly the boards, like the shots on net it appeared close was good enough, 5 shots on net at the start, 4 from outside the blueline.

Guddy avoided Lucic, Virtanen was flattened twice and avoided Lucic. The hardest hit a Canuck did was Stecher on McDavid well after McDavid didn't have the puck, a late hit. Guddy did get Khaira a real good one.

If the team keeps playing the way they are, yes a guard will be needed for Boeser and Pettersson, maybe even Horvat and Guddy just doesn't have the "right stuff"

I DVRed the game and the shots and hits were, well if close or touching, counted.

Funny how two people can watch the same game and see something totally different.   

• Hydration 2

42 minutes ago, oldnews said:
Image result for virtanen mcdavid gif

Exactly, 

Lucic looked like a decent signing at the time but he now makes Eriksson look like  steal.

1 goal in 34 games and slow as molasses doesn't bode well for his future. 

We have what we need to deal with players that are taking up space like Milan

3 hours ago, Gudbransons_Elbow said:

You're calling a team with SOB, Rypien, Hordichuk, Bieksa Glass and Mitchell soft?

We had Mats Sundin on the team too. We made the playoffs and got exposed when the game got physical. It was hard to watch. 

We need new management to have a tough mentality. The team watches their players get cheap shots and does nothing!

There really are no goons anymore and unfortunately if they answer they get an instigator and are gone 

what you do need is some bigger D and fowards that can step in when required and also hit back 

that’s where we fall down. Oilers have Nurse, that guy a a scary killer fighter and he can play his position 

on the future draft list we need need to expand the requirement past pure talent and in the meantime guys like Guddy and Jake have to step up 

Kane would have been nice to have 

Canucks currently has Guddy, Motte, Beagle, Jake and some youngers lining up who are toughness.  It seems okay.

I hate the late Sedins years, that is too soft and no feedback of any terrible hits, but I don't want a player who always sits in the plenty box and place Canucks in more PK minutes.

If we could find a guy who tough, size, speed and can put on the broad, I will okay. However, I have no idea who is available at this moment.

2 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

That was the same with most Canucks hits, they hit mostly the boards, like the shots on net it appeared close was good enough, 5 shots on net at the start, 4 from outside the blueline.

Guddy avoided Lucic, Virtanen was flattened twice and avoided Lucic. The hardest hit a Canuck did was Stecher on McDavid well after McDavid didn't have the puck, a late hit. Guddy did get Khaira a real good one.

If the team keeps playing the way they are, yes a guard will be needed for Boeser and Pettersson, maybe even Horvat and Guddy just doesn't have the "right stuff"

I DVRed the game and the shots and hits were, well if close or touching, counted.

Guddy didn't avoid any player. It was the other way around. Lucic had a couple of opportunities to hit Gudbranson and didn't do so. 

3 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

We had Mats Sundin on the team too. We made the playoffs and got exposed when the game got physical. It was hard to watch. 

I'm not sure we were watching the same series. We got exposed by the speed and skill of the Blackhawks I don't remember any point in those series where we were dominated physically. 

• Confused 1

23 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

Fair enough. But an argument can be made that we need that presence now more than ever, with Boeser, EP, Hughes and Juolevi, (not to mention our 

2019 1st round pick) all making their debut or about to make their debut within a 2-3 year range. So I would say now is when this team needs the protection. Think about how many years the Sedins got absolutely punished before they filled out and started to win those battles along the boards.

Yeah - poor Henrik.  Was so intimidated that he strung 679 consecutive games together for the 10th longest iron man streak

1 hour ago, Gudbransons_Elbow said:

I'm not sure we were watching the same series. We got exposed by the speed and skill of the Blackhawks I don't remember any point in those series where we were dominated physically. 

your right about the speed and skill. My memory isn't the best but i thought we looked soft also. 

Oddly enough Toronto media talks about Guddy as a guy the Maple Laughs should target to be their tough guy. 

5 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

There really are no goons anymore and unfortunately if they answer they get an instigator and are gone 

what you do need is some bigger D and fowards that can step in when required and also hit back 

that’s where we fall down. Oilers have Nurse, that guy a a scary killer fighter and he can play his position 

on the future draft list we need need to expand the requirement past pure talent and in the meantime guys like Guddy and Jake have to step up 

Kane would have been nice to have 

LOL Nurse scares no one and got beat by Horvat. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, kenhodgejr said:

your right about the speed and skill. My memory isn't the best but i thought we looked soft also. 

It was probably because we could do nothing about Big Buff planting himself in front of Luongo :lol: nobody could move his a** for 2 straight years. 

4 hours ago, Gudbransons_Elbow said:

LOL Nurse scares no one and got beat by Horvat. 

I suggest you look him up on hockey fights

he is one of the most feared fighters in the league, with good reason 

don’t be such a homer pal

• Hydration 1
  • Confused 3

14 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Nurse trues hard in fights; I’ll give him that.  In fights, Nurse reminds of Keith Magnuson.  

14 hours ago, nuck-lifer said:

Beagle was that fellow who Asham knocked out, basically one-punched, and then was fined by the league for his ‘sleeping’ gesture on the way to the box. 

Beagle is a big, strong guy, but he’s not a deterrent any more than Gaunce is/was. 

JV is slightly more physical, but in the same genre of players, while Guddy often resides on the IR list. 

At least Gagme is no longer one of the team’s biggest players, I will give JB that much. I was hoping for a tough rebuilding-era roster to give the losses something to cheer about while the kids develop.

Instead, I saw EP get raped on live TV. I stopped watching after that because thats not the kind of hockey I support. It had nothing to do with wins or losses, but integrity and character.

I watched the past two games though as I can’t stand not watching Horvat or EP right now. Highlights only go so far. What I saw was the same needs as last year, the year before and the year before that, etc.

The Canucks still aren’t built to protect their stars. Perhaps if the stars and the willing toughness are together on the IR list at the same time things will be secured.

Could this team have used a few rugged customers other than Guddy? Yes. 

Do JB’s rosters typically lack an identity and physicality? Yes.   

Was anyone expecting this Pinto to become a Pantera? No. 

• Hydration 1

3 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

He and Horvat are friends who put on a show. That wasn’t a fight as much as it was a show.