The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rumor New Home and Away Jerseys for Canucks

Rate this topic

Squamfan

3 hours ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

Considering that next season is the Canucks' 50th anniversary, a club just doesn't make cosmetic changes to its primary look. There is a lot going on in the Canucks' brand - Orca, modified and classic Stick in Rink, Johnny Canuck. Ditching the bad luck and corporate Orca is a no-brainer. The classic Stick in Rink and Johnny Canuck represent the 3 H's - Heritage, History & Hockey. That's what the Canucks need to market and build on for their 50th and beyond.

I’d be happy if they went this way.  It’s roots always smelt fishy, pun intended, it’s grown on me since but an entire new look or back full circle to the original would be a breath of fresh air.

Id understand how fans who grew up with the orca would feel with a change, had to do that a few times myself going from the V to the skate to the orca...but only one of them had to do with a company branding our team, and it is all of ours, the fans themselves are the ultimate stakeholders as it’s our hard earned cash that pays for it all.  The current uniform is the best version of the orca entertainment era by far, but it’s roots still stink.  Yeah I’ve seen their promotional propaganda videos using Lindens good name to make it work, but it was still them doing it, paying his salary and the corporation came before the Logo.  

Keep the colours, blue and green work for Vancouver and BC (although rain clouds would be more authentic ha ha), swipe the Logo for something new, keep the mascot for nostalgic reasons.  I’m with Tiger on this one, would rather go back to any of the former sweaters or make an entirely new one than just add a few things and keep the orca.  We haven’t won a cup with them...until then we can keep being neurotic about changing it up...50th is a big deal, why not make a splash.  

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

it seems like mere speculations in terms of a new home and road, everyone knows they will have the skate jersey and another 50 year celebration jersey as 3rd and 4th jerseys but not exactly new home and roads.  

Personally the Vancouver words have grown on me, I don't really have an issue with it, I am a fan of the blue we use.  at the same time I wouldn't mind changing the home and roads again. 

40 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I don't like cartoons on hockey jerseys.  Looks unprofessional and childish.  The current jersey has too much crap on it, what with shoulder badges and 'Vancouver' over the orca.  My preference is just the orca, plain and simple. 

You don't approve of Orcas?

The Pittsburgh Penguins have a penguin. The Boston Celtics have a leprechaun. Both cartoony and timeless classics.

I love orcas but not as the Canucks' identity unless the team name were changed to "Orcas".

• Cheers 2

Just now, Tiger-Hearted said:

The Pittsburgh Penguins have a penguin. The Boston Celtics have a leprechaun. Both cartoony and timeless classics.

I love orcas but not as the Canucks' identity unless the team name were changed to "Orcas".

If Pat Quin didn’t straight up refuse and stand his ground that may just have happened as they (new owners) wanted too.  Yet still there are those that defend it and it’s origins.  It’s a dirty little secret that the organization wants to keep quiet, and is a big enough issue with some of the fan base to make them spend money to produce videos memorating the change but not truthfully   ... Sigh but here we are saddled with it nonetheless.  Not a big fan of the Johnny Canuck idea either but with the new group of guys and a new era I’d get over it pretty quickly.  Even better just embrace the first look, critics like it NOW, back then not so much, it looks good, is simple, has enough recognition in the fan base (and would more than appease those that never approved of the Orca) and IS our actual roots.  Seems to me like full circle would work for pretty much everyone.

5 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

VANCOUVER CANUCKS

• 2019 HOME & ROAD JERSEYS: Expected. After the Blackhawks, the other big surprise from the Adidas catalog was seeing new primary sweaters listed for the Canucks in 2019-20! It’s unclear whether the Canucks are working on sweeping changes or maybe just updating the crest to remove the superfluous “Vancouver” arched across the top. But I also wouldn’t be that shocked to see a new primary logo to coincide with the 50th anniversary.

• 2019 THIRD JERSEY: Confirmed. Canucks COO Jeff Stipec told TSN in August that there will be a new third jersey in 2019-20 — in addition to the throwback sweater fans voted for over the summer. The Adidas catalog does corroborate this. [8/23]

• 2019 THROWBACK JERSEY: Confirmed. In addition to the new third, the Canucks will wear a throwback jersey for select games in 2019-20. After an online fan vote, the team determined they will use their 1989 "Flying Skate" design. [8/13]

• 50TH ANNIVERSARY: The Canucks may very well be the first NHL team to introduce four new jerseys in the same season — and it’ll be their 50th! So expect to see a 50th logo and patch on all of them during the 2019-20 season.

• JERSEY RETIREMENTS: As part of the club’s 50th anniversary, the Canucks will retire the jerseys of the Sedin twins, who retired after 2017-18 — No. 22 for Daniel and No. 33 for Henrik. Details will be announced at a later date. [10/11]

Likely 50th Anniversary badge somewhere and hopefully a collar fix.

40 minutes ago, 406in604 said:

Likely 50th Anniversary badge somewhere and hopefully a collar fix.

Definitely a patch logo on one or both of the shoulders forsure.

Edit: Actually I change my opinion, it could be a small single logo patch on the front of the Jersey in the top right corner so it's more visible to see, since 50 is a pretty big thing 

Edited by ChuckNORRIS4Cup

4 hours ago, Zhukini said:

Lil birdie says it’s just the Vancouver being removed 

Well, I along with many others hope so. "VANCOUVER".

Only beef I have with the skate logo is the the colours; those are not cascadian colours.

I love the "stick in rink", 'C'. Throw Jonny on the shoulders and I think we have a clear, defined, representative look.

The Orca isn't bad, and I love our colours, but " VANCOUVER" just looks really dumb. The jersey reads "Vancouver Orcas"... Last time I checked, Orcas are not Canucks. Some Orcas may be Canadian, sure, but Jonny Canuck looks pretty &^@#in' eh, and what's more Canadian than a stick in a rink? 

Don't say a maple leaf. Our Maples are much bigger and stronger than the loser, wimp maples that grow out east

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I don't like cartoons on hockey jerseys.  Looks unprofessional and childish.  The current jersey has too much crap on it, what with shoulder badges and 'Vancouver' over the orca.  My preference is just the orca, plain and simple. 

You don't approve of Orcas?

but . . . the orca is a cartoon

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Gassy Jack said:

I don't mind the orca. I think the "VANCOUVER" above has to go.... is there any other NHL team that has to spell out were they are located above their logos? 

I'm with you. The VANCOUVER has always reminded me of Canuck pajamas I had when I was 7. Just too much stuff plastered on because the graphic designer worked for Fields.

With the Orca, I originally hated it, but slowly came to realize that it wasn't the Orca itself I had a problem with. The bottom of the C is also a graphic designer trying to be hip with the aesthetic of the times (see 1997 aztec coyotes) - if a re-design had the orca coming out of something more fluid (ie: a wave) it would make sense and be an awesome logo. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

A logo is supposed to represent the team name, not the region. It was inspired by the Orca Bay ownership. 

In spite of the West Coast Express and Sedin eras, there has been terrible luck:

1. Ohlund's eye injury in practice. This injury hampered his offensive maximum potential.

2. Naslund breaking his leg in Buffalo in 2001 while enjoying a career year. Lost for the remainder of the season and playoffs.

3. Cloutier's 2002 gaffe vs Lidstrom in the playoffs.

4. Luongo's choke jobs and meltdowns in the playoffs.

5. Boeser crashing into the open side of the gateway to the Canucks' bench, therefore ending his season and costing him the club rookie records for goals and points and the likely, the Calder.

Yet the team went to game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals.

Recently drafted some of the best talents in ages.

Every jersey made it to the Finals for the exception of the Stick in Rink. 

Downhill skate shows some of the highest highs, and the lowest lows. I NEVER miss it. 

Sadly there is no consensus on what our jersey should be. And this argument gets revived every 6 months. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

Hence the problem. How do you symbolize a Canuck?

Calgary and Montreal already have C variants. Another one would look like we're copycats. 

If you look around the city there's lots of Orca references, and it's a part of our tourism. 

Like it or not, Orca's are as much as the BC coast as Salmon, Seagulls, Bears, and Cougars. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Regarding the actual Jersey and what it should or shouldn't be, it's hard tbh because it's been changed quite a few times, so this team just has no true identity for a logo, and because of that there will always been a difference in opinion from the fan base on what it should and shouldn't be. If it ever does change to something different again, it still won't fix it the issue, there will always be people who still prefer the previous one or the other one more, hey it may change a few people's opinions but not everyone's, so It's really never a win win situation, it's really only for the new generation of fans who grow up watching them in the Jersey they play in. 

I grew up watching the Canucks in the Skate Logo years, so this is and will always be my favorite no matter what, and imo I wish they still wore those over the current ones there's something about a black jersey imo that just stands out so much better. I'll admit when they switched the logo to the whale I hated it and it pissed me off, and haven't really liked it since. I can although accept and tolerate it a little more now with the new colors they use for it, but then again really hate the Vancouver over the top of it get ride of that. Anyways I'd be happy with the Skate Logo back again for good!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, granpappy said:

but . . . the orca is a cartoon

Nope.  Graphic depiction of a local sea mammal.  Also includes native artwork.

Johnny Canuck is a political cartoon hero (not necessarily a lumberjack) and later turned into a WW2 hero.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Hence the problem. How do you symbolize a Canuck?

Calgary and Montreal already have C variants. Another one would look like we're copycats. 

If you look around the city there's lots of Orca references, and it's a part of our tourism. 

Like it or not, Orca's are as much as the BC coast as Salmon, Seagulls, Bears, and Cougars. 

Well for starters the Orca is already a ‘C’ variant. 

Nobody disputes that Orcas are a part of BC’s symbology. The point is that it’s a stupid logo for the Canucks. It is a misrepresentation. Just like if the Lions had an Orca for a logo. It makes as much sense as the New Orleans Saints having an alligator contorted into an ‘S’ because “Louisiana is known for Gators” or the Patriots having a lobster for a logo because “New England is known for lobsters”.