The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Time to get even with Matheson?

Nuke

40 minutes ago, bree2 said:

yep Matheson , probably crapped his pants. and the way domi  heckled him in the penalty box was hilarious!

I am pretty sure Domi said and i quote "you want to act tough with me? I watched that Canucks game you little bitch, we all seen it and had a laugh."

Or at least thats what i would like to think is what he said. 

9 hours ago, Gnarcore said:

That he'd expect his own team to do the same and that he was trying to throw them off their game by refusing....  

I'd love to hear what his team-mates think of turtling in order to try to get the opposition 'off their game'.

His original action was a chickenshizz, punk cheapshot - that he resorted to because he was getting owned by one of the league's brightest young talents.

How did this strategy of his work out?  It kept the Canucks angry from start to finish.  They peppered Luongo all night.

And it forced Haley to face some of the hardest punches thrown in the NHL.

I think he's either rationalizing or outsmarting himself.  It looks like his action came around on him.

What it did is keep Florida off their game.

And now he's being mocked in other arenas by other teams - and his team got spanked 5-1 again in Montreal.

I'm guessing at some point Matheson will realize he'd have rather taken a few punches in hindsight.

I like the way this team handled it - and am glad no one else got injured as a result (aside from Matheson's soiled reputation)

4 hours ago, Goal:thecup said:

The team showed everybody the right way to handle this situation in the modern NHL.

They won the game.

They let MM (and the Panthers and the whole NHL) know they will not accept actions like a throat slam to any player and especially not a rookie phenom.

There is no doubt that they knew what they were doing, even if TG did not talk about retribution at all, by not taking any stupid penalties and still roughing the $^^@#% up pretty good.

They got all this done without serios injury to anyone and therefore no league-wide condemnation, suspensions, penalties, lawsuits, etc.

They moved MM even further into the "lead" for worst plus-minus in the NHL.

I was calling for old-style retribution (without the unfortunate Bertuzzi results on that other unmentionable crap-ass, barely make the league dung heap).

I am old.  I was a season ticket holder for the Prince George Mohawks Senior Men's team that beat the $&!#e out of everybody to win the entire country championship (and everything along the way).

I was one of those fans cheering for Bert to catch that lawyering snot rag and give it to him and cheering when he did.

I have a couple copies of Slapshot cuz i just love that movie and it sorta captured the PG Mohawks of that era.

I used to buy all of Cherry's rock'em sock'em tapes and had them in the same collection as Mike Tyson's Greatest Hits.

But I gotta admit.

This team showed me the way to do it in the modern NHL.

That game was a thing of beauty, even to a dinosaur like me.

Right from the start, the leaders, Bo and Sutter and Beagle and Roussel and others led the way.

Fight clean now, or absord everything coming your way that we're gonna give you short of taking a penalty.

Still get the 2 points, still in a wild card race.

It was all good.

Even got the announcers on our side.

Looked like the rest of the Panthers understood.

The refs got it, even old Don Cherry got it.

Perfect game.

Very nicely done.

I wonder how EP felt watching that?

At the end of the day you need to take your licks and get it over with. He needed to sack up and face the music. He lost a tonne of respect around the league for refusing to fight. Now he has to carry the yoke of both cheapshotter and coward for probably the rest of his career.

GODDAMNIT 

i thought i was over the entire incident after going to the game and seeing that coward show his true self to the world.

Rewatching the injury has reinfuriated me.

I was feeling bad for Matheson getting cyber bullied by canucks nation, not anymore. 

For the rest of his career and beyond he will forever be known as the douche that raged on our 19 year old rookie superstar after being embarassed with a dangle. 

He wanted to show the kid the "mans league" and when it came time for him to answer the bell, somebody had to do it for him.

On top of being the worst plus/minus player in the league.

HIs actions and subsequent dishonor for the players code is truly shameful.

Concussions are nothing to mess with.

6 hours ago, Bitter Melon said:

At the end of the day you need to take your licks and get it over with. He needed to sack up and face the music. He lost a tonne of respect around the league for refusing to fight. Now he has to carry the yoke of both cheapshotter and coward for probably the rest of his career.

Yep...It will be the punishment ever.... He'll get it from anyone in the league from now on... Brilliant.

On 1/16/2019 at 8:26 AM, Bang Bang Boogie said:

If he's gotta drop the gloves one time to address whatever, he's gotta do it. That's just the price you have to pay, and it's the price of being an NHLer.

Even his own teammate has called him out.

and Luongo self-edited there imo. 

It's not really the price of being an NHLer - its the price of being an NHLer who resorts to a chickenshizz stunt /attempt to injure a young player that was owning/embarrassing him - it's the price of being an NHLer that cheapshots a team's principal young talent.

The whole thing could not have turned on a more dramatic axis really.

This place was furious and probably over-reacting a bit prematurely to the team's response - the anger became internalized and directed at EP's team-mates.  Partly understandable, but also forgetting that these things have a longer shelf-life than the minutes following the incident, when a lot of guys aren't really sure what happened.

In the end the team's response was very well-measured imo and entirely turned this back on Matheson.  From Horvat to Gud to Hutton, Roussel - virtually the entire lineup - handled this like bosses in the end. 

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I have a feeling that Matheson gets waived by Florida before seasons end.

He just started his 8 year extension :rolleyes:

E. Come to think of it I wouldnt have answered the bell either as Matheson cause im guaranteed almost 5m per season for next 8 years and long summer holidays without playoff hockey. Gotta keep clean face for those Miami chicks.

Archived