The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jonathan Dahlen to Sharks for Linus Karlsson

4 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

I watched an interview with Benning where Benning himself said that Delorme had mentioned to look at this kid when Elias was 14. 

Delorme was still head of scouting at that point I believe. He may have been given some advice from a Swedish scout and relayed it to Benning, therefore Delorme mentioning it. Not every scout reports directly to Benning. Perhaps a scout told Delorme to check this kid out and he agreed and liked what he saw. Don't know exactly what happened, but I imagine a Swedish scout was present during this revelation.

Delorme was our head scout during the atrocious years of drafting. Benning was appreciative that he had brought this up to him, but I doubt Delorme suddenly became a great finder of talent himself. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

Delorme was still head of scouting at that point I believe. He may have been given some advice from a Swedish scout and relayed it to Benning, therefore Delorme mentioning it. Not every scout reports directly to Benning. Perhaps a scout told Delorme to check this kid out and he agreed and liked what he saw. Don't know exactly what happened, but I imagine a Swedish scout was present during this revelation.

Delorme was our head scout during the atrocious years of drafting. Benning was appreciative that he had brought this up to him, but I doubt Delorme suddenly became a great finder of talent himself. 

Ronnie saw him early and was a loud voice for him right from the start — even before any of us had seen him,” recalled Canucks general manager Jim Benning. “He was in my office and said ‘we’ve really got to watch this guy.’ He loved his skill and hockey sense.

I fail to see why he wouldn't mention another scout on staff and credit him as well...

7 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Ronnie saw him early and was a loud voice for him right from the start — even before any of us had seen him,” recalled Canucks general manager Jim Benning. “He was in my office and said ‘we’ve really got to watch this guy.’ He loved his skill and hockey sense.

I fail to see why he wouldn't mention another scout on staff and credit him as well...

So why doesn't Benning acknowledge the influence by Inge Hammarström? Inge is from Timrå and has special interest and contacts in that area. For Benning to say that Delorme is the reason they had eyes on Petey is laughable. 

In the interview you shared they said Petey wasn't anything at 14 but at 17. 

Interesting then that Benning said Petey was of interest from age 14 in another interview. Totally diffdrent... 

I should really take Benning away from being interviewed and have a media trained "president" handling journalists. 

• Wat 1

49 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

So why doesn't Benning acknowledge the influence by Inge Hammarström? Inge is from Timrå and has special interest and contacts in that area. For Benning to say that Delorme is the reason they had eyes on Petey is laughable. 

Interesting then that Benning said Petey was of interest from age 14 in another interview. Totally diffdrent... 

I should really take Benning away from being interviewed and have a media trained "president" handling journalists. 

Delorme saw him at a tournament which was where he noticed him early on. But keep making up the anti-Benning angle troll, literally anything he says you twist to suit your dumb false narrative. 

Edited by canuck73_3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

Delorme saw him at a tournament which was where he noticed him early on. But keep making up the anti-Benning angle troll, literally anything he says you twist to suit your dumb false narrative. 

Please, enlighten me wich tournament... It's you that provided two different years Delorme(or anyone close to Benning) thought he was interesting. Was it at 14 or 17?

6 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Maybe because Delorme is a d*ck and didn't give anyone else any credit as he was trying to impress his new boss lol. I don't know, maybe he was the one, but hard to imagine he just knew to go to some small tournament to see a 14 year old Pettersson without some influence. I don't agree a lot with Timrafan, but I can see some truth here. If Delorme had such foresight, maybe he would've still been head scout rather than demoted and Brackett promoted.

It's like how Brackett gets a lot of credit now for our drafting but he has a team of scouts and no one knows which ones have pointed things out to Brackett. So I could see a scout telling Delorme about Pettersson and Delorme taking a look and relaying it to Benning because Delorme maybe did think there was something there.

This is all speculation, but there's a reason why there's a team of scouts.

3 hours ago, theo5789 said:

but hard to imagine he just knew to go to some small tournament to see a 14 year old Pettersson without some influence.

Maybe he went to the tournament to see the tournament, knowing nothing about  Elias; saw him there, then told JB "Wow keep an eye on this kid I saw".

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Timråfan said:

I hated watching Inge Hammarstrom play.  Guy was the softest player I’ve ever seen, until Princess William Nylander took that crown.

i do believe it was Hammarstrom who was pushing for us to get Elias though.  

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, gurn said:

Maybe he went to the tournament to see the tournament, knowing nothing about  Elias; saw him there, then told JB "Wow keep an eye on this kid I saw".

It's not impossible, but does Delorme regularly go to unknown 14 year old tournaments in Sweden without recommendation?

uncomfortable arrested development GIF

3 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

It's not impossible, but does Delorme regularly go to unknown 14 year old tournaments in Sweden without recommendation?

He was the head scout and travelled a heck of a lot so it is possible.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Good lord, just stop it already. We all get that you don't like our current management...but you don't have anything new to add to your argument, you repeat things over and over. We get it, ok! If you had some new original thoughts to this then great discuss away...but you don't, it's just the same thing over and over....

I have no problems with you discussing your thoughts and opinions on here, we are all allowed to do that. But it's all you talk about. Can you diversify yourself a bit and talk about something else??

5 minutes ago, gurn said:

He was the head scout and travelled a heck of a lot so it is possible.

But he wouldn't just travel everywhere all willy nilly. Seems like a bit of a wild goose chase. There's a reason why there are other scouts in the system around the world that do these mini trips and give recommendations to the ones above.

For example, Benning is a great scout, but now that he's a GM, he relies on his employees before making and final decisions instead of doing all the travelling that he used to do unless it was highly recommended by someone. Just like Delorme was a head scout, but relied on his team to give him good leads to follow before making a decision on who to suggest to his GM. Delorme was terrible during his previous tenure, so I'm not going to give him too much credit, but perhaps when Benning came in, he realized they needed to improve the scouting system and developed a better reaching system. Delorme didn't last long as head scout under Benning but must appreciate that he brought EP to their attention (through the other scouts).

There's a reason why Benning has mentioned that there have been a bunch of his staff that has been hired by other clubs or been promoted because they've been doing a great job and other clubs are noticing their work that we do not see.

6 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Delorme was terrible during his previous tenure, so I'm not going to give him too much credit, but perhaps when Benning came in, he realized they needed to improve the scouting system and developed a better reaching system. Delorme didn't last long as head scout under Benning but must appreciate that he brought EP to their attention (through the other scouts).

Was Delorme terrible?

I'd need to see his draft lists and then compare them to who was available, and who the Canucks picked at those spots to know for sure.

5 minutes ago, gurn said:

Was Delorme terrible?

I'd need to see his draft lists and then compare them to who was available, and who the Canucks picked at those spots to know for sure.

He was the chief amateur scout from 2000 to 2014. I guess just look at the drafting in that period. Unless you think the GMs during his tenure often went away from what their appointed chief scout had to say, then it's safe to say most were heavily influenced by his viewpoint.

You can look at the difference after 2015 when Brackett took over.

I don't have all the inside information on this, but the results really speak for themselves.

Unless you think the GMs during his tenure often went away from what their appointed chief scout had to say, then it's safe to say most were heavily influenced by his viewpoint.

Perhaps, but Gillis didn't strike me as a guy that would take much input from others.

As I said without the lists who knows for sure.

I'd like to see someone compare the Central Scouting lists of bpa when the Canucks drafted, and compare to who the Canucks actually picked.

29 minutes ago, gurn said:

Perhaps, but Gillis didn't strike me as a guy that would take much input from others.

As I said without the lists who knows for sure.

I'd like to see someone compare the Central Scouting lists of bpa when the Canucks drafted, and compare to who the Canucks actually picked.

Expecting someone to do the dirty work to get the result you're looking for. Sounds like a GM relying on his staff. Gillis was arrogant, but it's naive to think he didn't used the staff he had in place. Gillis wasn't the only GM Delorme was chief scout for either. It's no surprise that a guy like Benning that puts as much emphasis into drafting decided to demote Delorme after one year of service as the top guy.

Expecting someone to do the dirty work to get the result you're looking for

maybe, but my dyslexia makes charts and lists an incredibly aggravating exercise.

I just find it hard to believe that Delorme was so bad,as he lasted as chief scout for over a decade., and still remains on the payroll.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Delorme

"Delorme was born in North Battleford, but grew up in Cochin, Saskatchewan. Though Delorme retired from the NHL in 1985, he has remained on the Vancouver Canucks staff for over 20 years as a scout and was appointed chief amateur scout in 2000.[1]