The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Linus Karlsson | C

17 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Sure. Didn't really feel happy or sad.

But if someone finds this scouting  information useful,sure.

I went to Hughes thread last night the whole page was about CGY EDM canucks radio sportstalk..just like in this thread half the posts are about Dahlen.. 

I'm sure there are others like me on this board who would be interested in what Linus' head coach thinks about his game. 

We are here to discuss Linus Karlsson the prospect. If people don't want to know what his coach thinks about his play ppl shouldn't come to this thread.

Sure more than half the posts will be off topic but be warned... you may find some posts about Linus and even one or two posts about what Linus coach thinks about his play..  

How good is your Swedish? I cannot make sense of any of it....:frantic:   PS: I watched all those Viking shows to boot!

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

And EP40's coach said EP wasn't ready for the NHL. Do you have any reason to believe that Linus's coach is being any more honest and less self serving?

Okay, there's one thing that bugs me about this post. Just because a coach says EP isn't ready, how does that make the coach "self-serving"? Should we just call everyone we disagree with as "self-serving" in that case? Sad times if we are judging people without even knowing their intentions and hypocritical if we are using that to self-serve our own opinions.

This is just an observation I'm making by the way and there's no intention on hating here. I just think it's easy to get carrying away in one's opinion to the point where bias comes before logic.

Edited by The Lock
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, The Lock said:

Okay, there's one thing that bugs me about this post. Just because a coach says EP isn't ready, how does that make the coach "self-serving"? Should we just call everyone we disagree with as "self-serving" in that case? Sad times if we are judging people without even knowing their intentions and hypocritical if we are using that to self-serve our own opinions.

This is just an observation I'm making by the way and there's no intention on hating here. I just think it's easy to get carrying away in one's opinion to the point where bias comes before logic.

Logic says that if a player is the best player in an entire league, he is most likely ready to move up to a higher league. Logic also says that his coach would almost certainly prefer that said best player stay and play some more for him, even if that player is ready to move up to the higher league.

So when the coach, who probably knew EP's abilities better than anyone else, says something that is quite evidently not true, since EP was unquestionably ready for the NHL, it certainly seems to me that his statement was self-serving.

What exactly are you claiming that I was being hypocritical about?

22 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Logic says that if a player is the best player in an entire league, he is most likely ready to move up to a higher league. Logic also says that his coach would almost certainly prefer that said best player stay and play some more for him, even if that player is ready to move up to the higher league.

So when the coach, who probably knew EP's abilities better than anyone else, says something that is quite evidently not true, since EP was unquestionably ready for the NHL, it certainly seems to me that his statement was self-serving.

What exactly are you claiming that I was being hypocritical about?

Logic says that if a player is entering a new league, especially a tougher league, adjustments may need to be made. Logic, and even history, suggests that it is good practice to reserve judgments until we actually see what comes out of entering the new league. It doesn't matter how good a player is in another league. Shipachayov is a prime example of a player who worked well in 1 league but not in the NHL. Pettersson could have needed to make more adjustments based on his body and certainly he did, but he adjusted to this league beyond expectations.

However, what you are implying are expectations that you have based on Pettersson, not logic. II'm not saying it's wrong to have expectations, but to turn around and accuse a coach for merely having a different opinion of you, claiming he's self-serving?,.... that's the hypcritical part as you are doing the very thing you are claiming to be against.

Basically because you don't like what a coach has said, he's "self-serving". All I'm saying is think about what you are saying in this. Would you want to be judged the same way if someone didn't like your opinion on X player?

Edited by The Lock

16 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Logic says that if a player is entering a new league, especially a tougher league, adjustments may need to be made. Logic, and even history, suggests that it is good practice to reserve judgments until we actually see what comes out of entering the new league.

What you are implying are expectations that you have based on Pettersson, not logic. I'm not saying it's wrong to have expectations, but to turn around and accuse a coach for merely having a different opinion of you, claiming he's self-serving?,.... that's the hypcritical part as you are doing the very thing you are claiming to be against,

I see a lot of words, none of which either refute my points or indicate any hypocrisy on my part.

54 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

I see a lot of words, none of which either refute my points or indicate any hypocrisy on my part.

Hey, if you want to ignore what I'm saying, I'm not going to stop you from doing that. It doesn't change what I think. In fact, it reinforces it. lol

2 hours ago, The Lock said:

Hey, if you want to ignore what I'm saying, I'm not going to stop you from doing that. It doesn't change what I think. In fact, it reinforces it. lol

You can choose to believe that EP's Swedish head coach is so incompetent that he was just not aware that EP is good enough to play in the NHL, but this seems very implausible to me. However, you are entitled to your opinion. I shall not be responding any further. But if you want to post something about Linus in here, feel free.

4 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

You can choose to believe that EP's Swedish head coach is so incompetent that he was just not aware that EP is good enough to play in the NHL, but this seems very implausible to me. However, you are entitled to your opinion. I shall not be responding any further. But if you want to post something about Linus in here, feel free.

As i am from sweden and followed every inch of EP last year i can tell, lots of media and sports people thought EP needed another year before the nhl, not for his ability to play there but for a chance to grow. The nhl grind makes it alot harder to Keep up with the physical part. (Noone ever doubted his ability to play in the NHL, Certainly not his coach) 

Edited by ForzaTikare
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, ForzaTikare said:

As i am from sweden and followed every inch of EP last year i can tell, lots of media and sports people thought EP needed another year before the nhl, not for his ability to play there but for a chance to grow. The nhl grind makes it alot harder to Keep up with the physical part. (Noone ever doubted his ability to play in the NHL, Certainly not his coach) 

I would say there is good logic to that and clear evidence that it has happened.  He looks tired out there.  It isn't a lack of effort or speed it is the lack of quick direction changes and the dekes that make him so entertaining.  Early in the year he would make all sorts of moves, embarrassing defenders.  Before this year, no-one had ever been "Stromed".  Now he gets into traffic, and does a little button hook out of pressure and looks for the next guy.

It is all still there, he just looks tired.  The NHL is just so much better than all other leagues, it is hard to understand the physical demands and will take some time to mature physically to meet them night in and night out.  Just the demands of the travel alone would be exhausting to most of us mere mortals.

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

I would say there is good logic to that and clear evidence that it has happened.  He looks tired out there.  It isn't a lack of effort or speed it is the lack of quick direction changes and the dekes that make him so entertaining.  Early in the year he would make all sorts of moves, embarrassing defenders.  Before this year, no-one had ever been "Stromed".  Now he gets into traffic, and does a little button hook out of pressure and looks for the next guy.

It is all still there, he just looks tired.  The NHL is just so much better than all other leagues, it is hard to understand the physical demands and will take some time to mature physically to meet them night in and night out.  Just the demands of the travel alone would be exhausting to most of us mere mortals.

how do you figure?

Been hoping to read about Linus Karlsson for 4-5 pages.  Haven't seen much about him yet.  

I am someone guilty of de railing a thread here and ther, but can we get some information on this kid?  

The club was hot for him at the draft.  This scouting group doesn't get excited for the wrong player often.  Would Luke to see why.  

• Cheers 1

Top 25 Sharks Under 25: No. 14 Linus Karlsson is exciting for a third-round pick

Who needs Erik, anyway?

By efowle15@FowleBall15  Sep 8, 2018, 6:00am PDT

image.0.jpg

The NHL talk of the town all off-season was the future of Erik Karlsson. That conversation has died down mostly, save for a few errant tweets stirring the proverbial dung. As the season approaches and hockey media outlets try their damndest to predict this coming season’s outcome(s), the likely regression of William Karlsson will become a more pressing topic. In San Jose, meanwhile, the Sharks have their own Karlsson to be excited about (and sorry, it’s not Melker).

On Emmanuel Perry’s list of every forward currently under the age of 19 who was technically eligible for the 2018 draft, Linus Karlsson, the Sharks’ third-round pick, ranks tied for 35 in terms of potential upside (WAR/82 in the NHL). That list is 1,752 names long and features names like Andrei Svechnikov, Vitali Kravstov, Filip Zadina, and Martin Kaut at or near the top. Karlsson’s 58 percent chance of making the NHL according to that model places him in even more rarefied air: 14th among that same group of 1,700+ teenage forwards.

Age (as of September 9): 18
Position: Center
Shoots: Right
Size: 6’1”, 187 pounds
Nationality: SWE
2017 Ranking: N/A
Staff Ranking: 11
Acquired: 2018 NHL Entry Draft, Round 3, 87 overall
2017-18 Team: Karlskrona J20, SuperElit
2018-19 Team: Karlskrona, Allsvenskan

Karlsson — a 6-foot-1, 187-pound center from Eksjö, Sweden — scored 56 points in 48 SuperElit games (including playoffs) last season. It’s important to note that those points were not empty calories, though he did acquire a healthy proportion on the power play.

Betweenness — a measure of a player’s impact on his team’s scoring network — shows how much a given player relied on his teammates to score primary points. This is a list of the top 25 players in the entire SuperElit league last season, so many of the skaters listed here are a year or so older than Karlsson. In terms of even-strength scoring impact, Karlsson ranked among the top 20 skaters in his entire league. In all situations, thanks to his extra man contributions, Karlsson ranked ninth. This is all to say that his draft year season, which included one assist in 14 SHL games, was quite impressive.

top 25 SuperElit players in 2017-18 according to even strength betweenness (scoring influence)

Marcus Karlberg and Linus Karlsson at 18th and 19th, respectively. Jonatan Berggren is 36th. Dominik Bokk is 44th.

Emmanuel Perry’s model, which was referenced above, is not the only method of statistical comparison to look upon Karlsson favorably. The model Jeremy Davis of Canucks Armydeveloped only gave Karlsson a 23 percent chance of making the NHL thanks to this 2017-18 season. But Davis also found that Karlsson was involved in 41 percent of his team’s 5-on-5 goals, the highest such mark of any prospect Davis and Co. evaluated. Karlsson’s most-common teammates except one all produced better results when skating alongside the Sharks prospect.

NHL players who have put together similar statistical seasons in the SuperElit league include Jesper Fast, Jakob Silfverberg, Gustav Nyquist, and Carl Hagelin. If Karlsson turns into the next Silfverberg, well, that’s a third-round pick well spent.

What we like

Per the information on Karlsson’s EliteProspects profile page, Draftin Europe scouts believe his strengths include a “nice shot and combines that with his ability to read developing holes in the offensive zone” and has a “quality game from faceoff dots to end-boards.” Karlsson positively impacts his teammates while consistently adding to his own stat sheet. He impressed many around the Swedish hockey world last season and was at one point rumored to be a trade targetof the SHL’s Rögle and 2017-18 league champion Växjö Lakers teams. For his hard work, Karlsson was named the SuperElit’s best forward. The Sharks picked Karlsson in the pick #40-100 range, which is typically where teams outperform Central Scouting rankings, especially when their picks diverge from the rankings. Karlsson has all the statistical makings of a star who was looked over a few times too many.

Areas of Improvement

According to The Athletic’s Corey Pronman, Karlsson could stand to work on his skating. At just 178 pounds, Karlsson will also likely need to spend some time lifting heavy weights and eating lots of protein in an attempt to add a little extra muscle to his frame as he heads into his first full professional season.

Highlight

Here, Karlsson notices his team has collected the puck safely in its own zone, so he heads up ice looking for the stretch pass. The pass connects — and here you can see where concerns about his skating come from — and Karlsson takes off toward the opposing net. He’s calm and steady on his skates during his approach and tosses just the right amount of dangles into the mix before finishing off the play in style. Soft hands. Concentration, not strength.

• Upvote 1

In Depth: Linus Karlsson

...a look at Vancouver's new prospect

by Ryan Biech @ryanbiech / Freelance writer
 February 27th, 2019
cut.jpg

The Canucks made a couple of trades in the moments before the NHL trading deadline on Monday and while much is known about Tanner Pearson, prospect Linus Karlsson is more of a mystery.

Karlsson was selected by the Sharks in the 3rd round of the 2018 NHL Entry Draft after spending the majority of his draft season in the SuperElit, a junior league in Sweden. He did also appear in 13 games with Karlskrona HK in the Swedish Elite League, picking up on an assist in the small sample size.

His point totals and underlying numbers in the SuperElit were encouraging and suggested that he had more to give at the professional level than the one assist in 13 games might've suggested.

In 42 SuperElit games during the 2017-18 season, Karlsson posted 27 goals and 25 assists.

Those totals had him finish second in league scoring and tied for first goals. He posted really strong goals for percentage during this year as well, with his team scoring 59.2% of the even strength goals with him on the ice.

To further illustrate his play during his draft year, that 59.2% GF% was +24.9% compared to the average among his teammates. With Karlsson on the ice, they had a plus-23 differential and when Karlsson was on the bench, they had a minus-34 goal differential.

That dominance, at that level, saw Karlsson move from an unranked prospect by NHL Central Scouting to the 39th best European skater by the time the draft rolled around.

From a traditional scouting viewpoint, Karlsson is a two-way centre who relies on his hockey sense to appear to be one step ahead of the play and doesn't give up on plays easily, He uses his size, at 6'1" and 180 lbs, to effectively pressure his opponents when he engages them. There aren't many players who will be outworked on a nightly basis than Karlsson.

On the offensive side of the game, he has a nice wrist shot that is quick to leave his stick with some decent velocity. He isn't the quickest skater, but that doesn't stop him from pushing the pace with that aforementioned work ethic.

In his own zone, Karlsson uses his hockey IQ to disrupt lanes and effectively close off opponent's lanes.

The right-handed shooter won't ever blow anyone away with highlight reel plays but the combination of work ethic, smarts, and underrated playmaking abilities allows him to generate offence while being very responsible in his own zone.

Karlskrona was relegated to the Allsvenskan for this season after falling in the playoffs to Timra IK. That meant that with Karlsson making his way out of the junior leagues and to the professional levels, he has been playing this year in the second division. He's been placed in a middle six role behind some veteran centres and has posted four goals and 13 assists in 48 games this season.

The offence isn't quite at the same level as last year, but he is ranked 5th in points among U20 players in the Allsvenskan and is tied for the most penalty minutes among that same peer group.

Karlsson is a bit of a late bloomer in terms of his growth, but has shown that he can create offence throughout his development. He put up really impressive numbers at the SuperElit level last season and did so at the other various U20 and U18 leagues over the previous years.

Ideally, he would've posted some more impressive boxcar stats this season in the Allsvenskan, but given the depth of the team and the role that he has played, his point totals are understandable. The fact that he appeared in the SHL last season and is a regular in the Allsvenskan as a 19-year-old is a good sign in terms of long term projections.

Like any prospect, there will need to be some rounding out to some elements of his game, but Karlsson is an intriguing option for the organization in the future as a two-way centre who thinks the game very well.

• Upvote 4