The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The UCP Alberta Government - Threatens to Turn off Oil Taps

DonLever

6 hours ago, riffraff said:

As a working adult I have had to reduce rate on numerous occasions to stay competitive during slow economies.  Wage fluctuations can be a reality.

I have trucks that work in Saskatchewan and since 2015 the hourly rates in some areas have dropped 30% So many semis for sale in the oil patch. 

@RUPERTKBD Long day today and this story has had full coverage. You know this morning I started out totally agreeing with @bishopshodan and yourself. Tbh I think I still do but maybe just out of pride. Not bragging(I'm born in BC) but Alberta for so long has been able to have the best everything while essentially being tax free, the "Alberta Advantage."

That being said @ForsbergTheGreat pointed out some stats I wasn't aware of, that being youth unemployment. Thx Ndp!!

Anyway I also listen to a couple economists giving their point of view and it doesn't sound all bad but I'm now not sure how I feel now. What I do know is the ndp raised the minimum wage almost 50% in 4 years and that has drastically hurt small business. Should have been implemented in at a slower rate.

Finally for those of you who don't know, I'm sure FTG does, Calgary has a massive hole in funds. When many big businesses left downtown towers there was a huge shortage in taxes. Believe it or not in Canada's most conservative city big business has disproportionately carried the load so everyone one else wasn't hit as hard. Now these places are empty and people are in for a shock this week. Small businesses will disproportionately get hammered so I wonder how much of this policy is the responsibility for a useless mayor and city council except for a few?

They have had a while to come up with solutions or freeze spending and did neither. 

30 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I have trucks that work in Saskatchewan and since 2015 the hourly rates in some areas have dropped 30% So many semis for sale in the oil patch. 

The tale end of 2007 and all of 2008 I pretty much quoted jobs to buy them from Whistler to North Vancouver.  Approx 40% drop in rate. Things slowly improved after 2009 but not to where they were.  After moving to the island I chased another boom in Saskatoon and after four years the rate dropped close to 15% across the board for every trade.  There are three main players in development in Saskatoon and they squeeze the living daylights out of trades.  I had three good years there which is actually quite good in construction and now im back on the island working at rates similar to 2006....which considering 13 years have gone by, and everything has increased in price,  isn’t saying much. Fortunately as I have become increasingly efficient and skilled over time, business has been very good.  As well I’m fortunate to have had great business relationships over these years to keep going.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, riffraff said:

The tale end of 2007 and all of 2008 I pretty much quoted jobs to buy them from Whistler to North Vancouver.  Approx 40% drop in rate. Things slowly improved after 2009 but not to where they were.  After moving to the island I chased another boom in Saskatoon and after four years the rate dropped close to 15% across the board for every trade.  There are three main players in development in Saskatoon and they squeeze the living daylights out of trades.  I had three good years there which is actually quite good in construction and now im back on the island working at rates similar to 2006....which considering 13 years have gone by, and everything has increased in price,  isn’t saying much. Fortunately as I have become increasingly efficient and skilled over time, business has been very good.  As well I’m fortunate to have had great business relationships over these years to keep going.

Glad to see things worked well for you. Story started sounding like it would have a bad ending. We have all done our best to adjust.

3 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Glad to see things worked well for you. Story started sounding like it would have a bad ending. We have all done our best to adjust.

Thank you.  In history tradesmen would travel frequently.  Quite common.  If one is prepared to do that, there is good money to be made.  Hasn’t been easy with a young family but as you said, adjust, well it’s a good skill for everyone to take on at some level.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, riffraff said:

Thank you.  In history tradesmen would travel frequently.  Quite common.  If one is prepared to do that, there is good money to be made.  Hasn’t been easy with a young family but as you said, adjust, well it’s a good skill for everyone to take on at some level.

Ya I have traveled a lot for work it's tough when you have a family but if the alternative is a life of poverty for your family the decision becomes easy.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure no-one in this forum would act in this manner, but.....

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/alberta-premier-singled-out-environmentalist-death-threats-followed/ar-AACMxKK?li=AAggXBV

Only posting the link, because there are some NSFW social media posts shown in the article. This is what happens when you create the narrative that those with differing views are the "enemy".

28 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/alberta-premier-singled-out-environmentalist-death-threats-followed/ar-AACMxKK?li=AAggXBV

Only posting the link, because there are some NSFW social media posts shown in the article. This is what happens when you create the narrative that those with differing views are the "enemy".

Only puss*es threaten people online... You want to threaten someone... like Bibby says: pull up where (they) at!

40 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Kenney lies all the time. Its like those stupid radio ads suggesting approval of the tmx project will lead to cheaper gas prices in BC. I suppose thats true, as long as we fill our tanks in Beijing. 

Of course intelligent people knew this all along... right ?

No economic case for Trans Mountain expansion: ex-environment minister, B.C. ...

'No credible evidence to suggest that Asia is likely to be a reliable or a significant market for Alberta bitumen,' former B.C. Liberal MP says in letter to six federal cabinet ministers

2 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Of course intelligent people knew this all along... right ?

No economic case for Trans Mountain expansion: ex-environment minister, B.C. ...

'No credible evidence to suggest that Asia is likely to be a reliable or a significant market for Alberta bitumen,' former B.C. Liberal MP says in letter to six federal cabinet ministers

Interesting. I didn't know ..... Canada’s two major competitors are Venezuela and Mexico and they’ve faced the same low demand and low prices .

Maybe not much market demand?

What wart it will be if they build it and it's a loser

On 5/28/2019 at 6:13 PM, Ryan Strome said:

I know a few people who have gone and bought trucks at super cheap prices and brought them back here and are now making some good cash. 

EDIT: Also know someone who after the last big crash loaded up on bikes and cars and flipped them here. So many Harley's went up for sale after. 

Edited by Gnarcore

3 hours ago, Gnarcore said:

I know a few people who have gone and bought trucks at super cheap prices and brought them back here and are now making some good cash. 

EDIT: Also know someone who after the last big crash loaded up on bikes and cars and flipped them here. So many Harley's went up for sale after. 

Ya Richie auctions are packed every week.

3 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Interesting. I didn't know ..... Canada’s two major competitors are Venezuela and Mexico and they’ve faced the same low demand and low prices .

Maybe not much market demand?

What wart it will be if they build it and it's a loser

Demand is growing. Venezuela gets full market value for their tar sands.

• Cheers 1