The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Lucic says he would like to play here

Just now, King Heffy said:

Lol @ Edmonton being a better chance of winning.  He's set foot in Edmonton before the trade and new how much of a dump that hellhole of a city is.  Add in the fact that the Oilers are an AHL team with one poor generational talent stuck there until he's a UFA and can go to an actual NHL team, and it's laughable that any sane person would got to that joke of a franchise voluntarily.  I'm happy Lucic is as stupid as he is classless however.  He fits right in with the Oilers inbred fanbase.

To be fair, they did make the playoffs in the first year of his contract.

• Upvote 1

Just now, 48MPHSlapShot said:

To be fair, they did make the playoffs in the first year of his contract.

They also showed no sign before or after that they had any business being in the NHL.  At this point, I'd rather take the demotion to Utica than have to report to Edmonton.

On 6/11/2019 at 9:45 PM, King Heffy said:

They also showed no sign before or after that they had any business being in the NHL.  At this point, I'd rather take the demotion to Utica than have to report to Edmonton.

1984, 1985, 1987, 1988, 1990

Keep the sticks on the ice boys. They’re going through a hard time over there.

Edited by Me_

Just now, King Heffy said:

They had McDavid and Drai, they had Nuge, they still had Eberle, Yakupov wasn't a complete bust yet, they had just drafted Pool Party. There was certainly reason for optimism in EDM around the time Lucic signed with them. Not to mention that they had recently hired Chiarelli and, Hall trade aside, it looked like they actually had a GM that knew what he was doing for the first time in forever. 

It'[s easy to look back on it with the gift of hindsight and say "Lol, what an idiot!", but the feeling at the time was that EDM was finally starting to put it together. 

1 hour ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Hey...I am all for dreaming.  But we are kinda trying to be somewhat realistic here so I just can't go along with the crazy talk lol.

Edit: in fact...I am dreaming right now about winning that $65 million max lotto tonight.....Yea I know it won't happen cuz of those dumb 28 million to 1 odds...but I will keep dreaming lol.

yeah I'm just giving you the gears a bit (thanks for actually having a sense of humour).

I'm banking on Holland having a moment of sheer desperation looking at his depth chart and cap situation and handing over that 8th :lol:

On Loui, honestly I think he might bail. It happened for Buffalo. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, DontFockWithBrock said:

Since this is all about fresh starts... 

Eriksson 

Goldobin

Lucic 

Puljujarvi 

2nd round pick 

That would be a great deal for both sides.  

That 2nd is looking like a very juicy prospect in this year’s draft class. 

If we hit on developing Puljarvi we’re looking at Evander Kane potentially. 

Our team toughness goes up exponentially.

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yeah I'm just giving you the gears a bit (thanks for actually having a sense of humour).

I'm banking on Holland having a moment of sheer desperation looking at his depth chart and cap situation and handing over that 8th :lol:

On Loui, honestly I think he might bail. It happened for Buffalo. 

Like LE go home to play in Sweden? Berglund?

Edited by rekker

9 minutes ago, rekker said:

Like LE go home to play in Sweden? Berglund?

yeah why not? take his 4 mil and go home. I don't think its extremely likely but it might be a possibility if he doesn't want to play here and he's also un-tradable. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Me_ said:

Boeser Pettersson sniping precision goals around Lucic wrecking havoc in the blue paint and if that doesn’t work, Schenn just hit someone on the boards and Hughes has the puck.

Here’s Juolevi and Woo because they earned it but also have a safe working environment to thrive in.

There goes a thundering hit by Virtanen.

Ouuuu. Demko saves and Tryamkin just bulldozes Getzlaf again. They have some history there. 

AND HERE’S HORVAT SHOOTSS!

OOOOOOANPULJUJARVISCORESONTHEREBOUNNND!!!

Oh I like the sounds of all that.  Sounds a lot like what 2019/2020 could look like.

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

If he got sent to Utica, I think there's a reasonable chance of that happening.  Canucks can also suspend him without pay if he doesn't report.

JB would be torched by TSN which would be unfair. I mean, Toronto did similar with Robidas and Lupul. But that's ok, its Toronto. 

2 hours ago, DontFockWithBrock said:

Since this is all about fresh starts... 

Eriksson 

Goldobin

Lucic 

Puljujarvi 

2nd round pick 

I'd want our firsts swapped as well but it would at least get me pondering if I'm Benning.

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'd want our firsts swapped as well but it would at least get me pondering if I'm Benning.

Not a deal breaker to me. The above mentioned deal is pretty much fair and square equal.

Edited by Me_
  • Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Not a deal breaker to me. The above mentioned deal is pretty much fair and square equal.

We've been over this. We're not aiming for fair and square.

10 hours ago, aGENT said:

Sorry but it makes no sense to do a 'hockey trade' for Lucic when we have all the leverage, no real need for him (that we couldn't acquire far cheaper, with less risk, elsewhere), no cap pressure to move Eriksson, etc, etc all to help out a division rival out of their own cap and ED issues that we would be better off simply letting them fester in for the paltry value of a 'hockey trade'.

That's the opposite of 'talking sense'.

Your 'fair and square' comment makes me worry we should be asking for FAR more :P

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Me_ said:

If that actually happened, I'd be shocked. A 2nd round pick and Puljujarvi, not to mention getting a player that suits our needs better, all for one extra year of Lucic's contract? I'm no Benning hater but we both know he isn't capable of pulling off a homerun like that. Puljujarvi alone should be enough if Lucic waives his NMC for the expansion draft. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

I see trading up from 10th for 8th pick as not a very big deal. It's only 2 spots, and you might get your guy at 10 anyways. I'm more open to trading back within the top 15 and getting some more ammo at this draft or next. 

7 hours ago, DontFockWithBrock said:

I see trading up from 10th for 8th pick as not a very big deal. It's only 2 spots, and you might get your guy at 10 anyways. I'm more open to trading back within the top 15 and getting some more ammo at this draft or next. 

I agree but that deal needed a touch more coming our way IMO. The difference in picks is negligible but it is something.

Edited by aGENT

19 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

chances are nothing happens, but Edmonton has to do something.

Yes giving us the 8th oa is steep, but look at it this way: they give up a player that likely doesn't make an impact on their roster for 2-3 years, shed Lucic, create cap space for renewal.

Or, miss the playoffs again.

They are also running with a KHL goalie as their #1. It has train wreck written all over it. If Holland stands pat and does nothing they'll be calling for him to be fired too a year from now.

Jim should offer our 4th for Lucic and the 8th oa and Holland should feel lucky to have it. 

Holland doesn't seem to have playoffs as a priority.  For him it's more about evaluating the team next year.  He says you 1st have to build the team then you make a trade or two. He just doesn't know his team well enough to know what they need.  Tippett is also coming in new.

They don't know if Koskinen is their answer in goal. Hitchcock overplayed him and that might explain his drop in performance.  There are just too many questions for the playoffs to be a realistic objective for next season.  They are not 1 player away and don't have the cap space to fill their needs through free agency.  They'd like to move Lucic because the situation is unsatisfying but likely not at the cost of the future Holland is trying to build.  

Holland talks of how young McDavid and Draisaitl still are. McDavid was drafted the same year as Boeser and Draisaitl the same year as Virtanen.  

He wants to build a perennial contender and part is having prospects in the system pushing for spots.  Edmonton has stagnated for so long. There's probably some cleaning up to do to improve their process at all levels.  Scouting, development hasn't exactly been a strong suit.  

In a Lucic for Eriksson swap, Kuzma seems to suggest that it's not necessarily Edmonton adding.  He writes:

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/ben-kuzma-canucks-gm-benning-wants-physicality-but-is-eriksson-lucic-swap-the-answer

Whoever finds more value in one of the wayward wingers may have to sweeten the potential deal and part with a draft pick. One report suggested it was Edmonton, but it might be Vancouver.

“We’d like to get bigger and more physical and stronger,” said Canucks general manager Jim Benning. “That’s an element that I thought we were missing at times last year and we’ll see if we can try to address that somehow.

He also mentions that Eriksson's comments to media hurt the Canucks' trade clout.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, mll said:

Holland doesn't seem to have playoffs as a priority.  For him it's more about evaluating the team next year.  He says you 1st have to build the team then you make a trade or two. He just doesn't know his team well enough to know what they need.  Tippett is also coming in new.

They don't know if Koskinen is their answer in goal. Hitchcock overplayed him and that might explain his drop in performance.  There are just too many questions for the playoffs to be a realistic objective for next season.  They are not 1 player away and don't have the cap space to fill their needs through free agency.  They'd like to move Lucic because the situation is unsatisfying but likely not at the cost of the future Holland is trying to build.  

Holland talks of how young McDavid and Draisaitl still are. McDavid was drafted the same year as Boeser and Draisaitl the same year as Virtanen.  

He wants to build a perennial contender and part is having prospects in the system pushing for spots.  Edmonton has stagnated for so long. There's probably some cleaning up to do to improve their process at all levels.  Scouting, development hasn't exactly been a strong suit.  

In a Lucic for Eriksson swap, Kuzma seems to suggest that it's not necessarily Edmonton adding.  He writes:

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/ben-kuzma-canucks-gm-benning-wants-physicality-but-is-eriksson-lucic-swap-the-answer

Whoever finds more value in one of the wayward wingers may have to sweeten the potential deal and part with a draft pick. One report suggested it was Edmonton, but it might be Vancouver.

“We’d like to get bigger and more physical and stronger,” said Canucks general manager Jim Benning. “That’s an element that I thought we were missing at times last year and we’ll see if we can try to address that somehow.

He also mentions that Eriksson's comments to media hurt the Canucks' trade clout.  

well thats great news for us then, as the Canucks might leapfrog Edmonton into playoff relevance. 

I doubt the fanbase has the patience for Hollands plan tho.