The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who will we lose?

Rate this topic

iceman64

1 hour ago, mpt said:

We will likely lose one of our goalies

If we keep Markstrom unsigned, protect Demko and expose someone like Bachman I think we’ll be ok. It’ll probably be a bottom six forward or depth defenseman like last time though. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

fixed that for you. You don't protect a 31 yr old goalie (at the time), who as good as he's been recently is no Carey Price. Demko has the potential to be a future star, will only be 24/25. It would be absurd to leave him unprotected

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Only if it's Markstrom. If they lose Demko, Benning should be fired.

Can't imagine we still have both beyond next season. One will likely be moved to shore up a position (D? Top 6 W?) where we can more readily protect a guy (and conversely the trading team needs a goalie/has too many of another player).

1 minute ago, Pears said:

If we keep Markstrom unsigned, protect Demko and expose someone like Bachman I think we’ll be ok. It’ll probably be a bottom six forward or depth defenseman like last time though. 

Markstrom needs to be re-signed after this season. There's basically zero chance he's signing a short term deal to help us with the ED at the expense of his financial security.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Markstrom needs to be re-signed after this season. There's basically zero chance he's signing a short term deal to help us with the ED at the expense of his financial security.

Not to mention Demko's likely to want to have a crack at that starter position eventually.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Marky is just holding the starters spot until Demko is fully ready for the starters job.  He’s been more than solid in that role but he won’t be a huge loss if Seattle takes him.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Marky is just holding the starters spot until Demko is fully ready for the starters job.  He’s been more than solid in that role but he won’t be a huge loss if Seattle takes him.  

I'd rather we trade him, thanks.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, The Lock said:

If he's tradable. Goalies can be really tough to trade at times it seems, even decent ones.

They don't tend to extract full value in trade but there's team's every year lacking bonafide starters and one's facing injury to theirs. Still beats losing him for nothing.

8 minutes ago, aGENT said:

They don't tend to extract full value in trade but there's team's every year lacking bonafide starters and one's facing injury to theirs. Still beats losing him for nothing.

I guess that just then depends on that waiver wire. Man last season was nuts for that. lol

7 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I guess that just then depends on that waiver wire. Man last season was nuts for that. lol

What does the waiver wire have to do with legit starters? They don't get placed on waivers.

Just now, aGENT said:

What does the waiver wire have to do with legit starters? They don't get placed on waivers.

I guess I am of the mentality that it gets pretty blurry at times between what a starter is and what isn't. Take McElhinney for example. He ended up excellent in the playoffs as a backup and he kept being placed on waivers.

I guess I'm also of the mentality of "wait and see" with Markstrom. He had a good season last year, which is encouraging. The question now is can he keep that up? We'll find out next season.

• Upvote 1

At the end of the day i think some of us should remember this if we think being a GM is as easy at it looks from the outside.. so even though he's made mistakes at least benning has us in the right direction that we even get to talk about this, having enough good players to protect but stocking the farm too since we're keeping picks for a change instead of yester years "trade picks" for a win now in exchange for the future that's been going on too much for years in the history of this franchise.

At least it's fun thinking we might actually have a shot at the big dance if things go right without selling the farm and it keep going and producing depth support for the core. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I'm sure the Canucks are looking at the future and expansion, and have an idea who they will protect. If there is a chance we lose a goalie or one of our better players, wouldn't it make sense to trade those players for assets? (picks, prospects, etc) The longer they wait to make trades, the tougher it'll be as they move closer to the expansion draft. Other teams won't want players added, for fear of losing them for nothing.

(eg) Trade Demko and Tanev for a 1st this year. Sign a veteran backup for Markstrom, while DiPietro develops. DiPietro eventually takes over as backup, and wouldn't be eligible for that draft.  

Protect - Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat, Virtanen, Gaudette, Hughes, Juolevi, Tryamkin, Markstrom

I think it would better to trade markstrom for a pick after signing him again if his next season is good and Demko is ready to take over by trade deadline and sub in Kielly and see how he fares as a back up and let MD simmer for another year... just a thought,  I read Kielly is up for goalie of the year and best player so why not give him a sho to see how he does?

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

(eg) Trade Demko and Tanev for a 1st this year. Sign a veteran backup for Markstrom, while DiPietro develops. DiPietro eventually takes over as backup, and wouldn't be eligible for that draft.  

No,Demko is the one to keep,cheaper and I think will be a better goalie long term...play Markstrom and hope he has a good year and trade him and Tanev.

• Cheers 1