The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

10 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Didn't Colorado do that, then the caps signed orpik or how ever you spell his name...for dirty cheap.....

but is the risk worth it? Myers could go sign some where else, you want to take that risk? 

discuss it with him first

we will give you the entire value of your current contract right now

if you sign a 5 year contract at league minimum at the same time

who would say no to that ?

if he says no

offer that deal to bo

he is next on the list for longish term higher contract values

*i appreciate i have overstated how a compliance buyout actually works (payment is made over time etc.)

i'm just trying to make a point

Edited by coastal.view
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, coastal.view said:

discuss it with him first

we will give you the entire value of your current contract right now

if you sign a 5 year contract at league minimum at the same time

who would say no to that ?

if he says no

offer that deal to bo

he is next on the list for longish term higher contract values

I like what your saying but will the NHL be okay with that? They even investigated the caps and Colorado iirc. 

4 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

I like what your saying but will the NHL be okay with that? They even investigated the caps and Colorado iirc. 

this entire thing will be contrived anyway

this is not a normal business model

but merely exploiting loopholes due to virus intervention

there is no intention to do things from a business as usual perspective

just a desire to get everyone "out of a pickle" situation

Edited by coastal.view

1 minute ago, coastal.view said:

this entire thing will be contrived anyway

this is not a normal business model

but merely exploiting loopholes due to virus intervention

there is no intention to do things from a business as usual perspective

just a desire to get everyone out of a pickle situation

No I agree but Gary might not like that and your forgetting Canucks don't get to use loopholes ha

3 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

No I agree but Gary might not like that and your forgetting Canucks don't get to use loopholes ha

even if you believe the nucks get special negative treatment by the nhl

this would apply to every team

not only the nucks

every team needs help

particularly the laffs

maybe they can "buy out" marner and matthews on the same basis

they would save even more (21 million of cap per season)

Edited by coastal.view

Just now, coastal.view said:

even if you believe the nucks get special negative treatment by the nhl

this would apply to every team

not only the nucks

every team needs help

particularly the laffs

maybe they can "buy out" marner and matthews on the same basis

they would save even more (21 million of cap per season)

Well if the laffs do it and it works then I'm all for it. I just don't want another 3 million against the cap cause Canucks can't use the loopholes other teams us. Ha

1 minute ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Well if the laffs do it and it works then I'm all for it. I just don't want another 3 million against the cap cause Canucks can't use the loopholes other teams us. Ha

except

i suspect the laff players

will take the buyout

and then negotiate full value replacement contracts

that is kinda how their players and management seem to operate

:bigblush:

Edited by coastal.view
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Okay alf who replaces Myers ? his a top four D , that can play in all areas.....edler and Myers make a good two way pairing and Myers would work with OJ or Rathbone in theory also. 

So having Myers and the type D prospects we have benefit each other......

Tree is better, and will cost 1/3 against the cap.  Rafferty replaces Stecher for less than 1/2 the cost.  OJ will be up a ready too, as will Bone.  Our D is too old, soft, and Slow.  We are too easy to play against.  Edler, Hughes, and Tanev I would keep.  Other spots are for Tree, Rafferty, Bone, and OJ.  

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Tree is better, and will cost 1/3 against the cap.  Rafferty replaces Stecher for less than 1/2 the cost.  OJ will be up a ready too, as will Bone.  Our D is too old, soft, and Slow.  We are too easy to play against.  Edler, Hughes, and Tanev I would keep.  Other spots are for Tree, Rafferty, Bone, and OJ.  

Okay tree I like big and mean but a leftie and Myers is a rightie and raff is the only right hand prospect that could take Myers spot but Myers brings more edge....also raff would have to be sheltered at the start, Myers doesn't.

myers balances guys like OJ and bone and their play style work together so why move Myers? 

You want Barrie that bad? 

Also Hughes needs a D partner that will make hits not take hits..someone that will make more room for Hughes to act like thuggy bear not huggy bear.....he needs someone that will hand the battles with the big guys in front of the net.....josh Manson type :) 

alf im with you I don't like soft players but when we have a pairing of Hughes and tanev , that screams soft.....Myers isn't the problem...edler and Myers have shown pretty good together . 

Hughes Manson 

edler myers 

OJ/bone/tree/Benn and right side if we let tanev and stech walk we have raff.....which his smart play could work with tree or Benn two guys that play with an edge but raff is not going to add toughness....

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Alflives said:

I’m guessing the cap has to adjust, because of lost revenue.  I’m hopeful the league gives each team a couple compliance buyouts to help get them through the difficult time.  Buying out Loui and Myers saves us 12 million off the cap.  

Okay fair speculation, I read your comment as one that had the news secured. I thought maybe a missed an announcement. The only news I've heard is the 84-88 projection... which is for sure up in the air now due to this. 

1 minute ago, Tower102 said:

Okay fair speculation, I read your comment as one that had the news secured. I thought maybe a missed an announcement. The only news I've heard is the 84-88 projection... which is for sure up in the air now due to this. 

I think 84 to 88 has to do with the NHLPA escalator.  The guys say they want escrow (currently about 15%) to come down, if not disappear.  So the cap was going to be at most 84, and likely stay there for a couple seasons to get escrow down to zero.  The league, with the NHLPA has made the cap fake upwardly by 15%.  Now there’s this loss of revenue from the shutdown.  Cap might stay at 84, but there will be a 40% escrow next season.  

• Like 1

How about that MIller trade (this is the Miller trade thread is it not?)

17th in the NHL in scoring.  With EP at 20th it gives the Canucks 2 x top 20 scorers - while also having a top 5 scoring defenseman.

2nd in the NHL in faceoff % - Couturier, Miller, Beagle - gives the Canucks 2 of the league's top 3 faceoff guys.

Leads the team in hits - 2nd to Tyler Motte among forwards in hits/game, hits per 60 - 3rd to Edler and Motte in hits/game.

Shows up every night - every shift - with the kind of driving energy that every team needs, particularly in it's top 6.

In other words, he's been a principal, driving force in what has the team in a playoff spot at the point of this stoppage - so not only has he lived up to and exceeded expectations (even of those of us that loved this deal, and certainly blown this absurd thread to pieces) - but critically, he has also been instrumental in reducing the cost of his acquisition.

As things stand, the results the team has achieved to this point would dictate that they move their non-lottery, late round 1st in the first year of a conditional deal - in other words, they'd have closed the contingency/cost on this deal - at a longshot 1st, and put to rest any (always overblown) anxiety that lurks at the surface of this market, always seemingly desperate to express itself (in whatever irrational over-reaction it can).   Ermagerd - all our feerzz has ben reellizzzed - Bennig just overpaidz for a cap dumpppzzz!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

17th in the NHL in scoring.  With EP at 20th it gives the Canucks 2 x top 20 scorers - while also having a top 5 scoring defenseman.

2nd in the NHL in faceoff % - Couturier, Miller, Beagle - gives the Canucks 2 of the league's top 3 faceoff guys.

Leads the team in hits - 2nd to Tyler Motte among forwards in hits/game, hits per 60 - 3rd to Edler and Motte in hits/game.

Shows up every night - every shift - with the kind of driving energy that every team needs, particularly in it's top 6.

In other words, he's been a principal, driving force in what has the team in a playoff spot at the point of this stoppage - so not only has he lived up to and exceeded expectations (even of those of us that loved this deal, and certainly blown this absurd thread to pieces) - but critically, he has also been instrumental in reducing the cost of his acquisition.

As things stand, the results the team has achieved to this point would dictate that they move their non-lottery, late round 1st in the first year of a conditional deal - in other words, they'd have closed the contingency/cost on this deal - at a longshot 1st, and put to rest any (always overblown) anxiety that lurks at the surface of this market, always seemingly desperate to express itself (in whatever irrational over-reaction it can).   Ermagerd - all our feerzz has ben reellizzzed - Bennig just overpaidz for a cap dumpppzzz!

Bo is 3rd in the league for face off wins, and has a pretty good % at 57.3

2 hours ago, CaptKirk888 said:

^ Yes, I know, Miller thread. Yup, JB did good on that one.

I'd take it one step further. JB has done good on everything for this team. 

Thank you lord Benning. 

• Thanks 2

21 hours ago, oldnews said:

Not to mention his leadership. 

When I heard JT has been taking Jake under his wing , that made the deal so much more valuable for us. 

8 hours ago, 1994_fan said:

long time not posting... so don't light me up with gasoline for not using the right format 

SO as of today the nucks are not in the play off, does that mean we don't give TB our conditional 1st round pick?

they are 3rd in the Pacific - it's determined by pts%