The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

2 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

can it still change? whats the range? 

By making the post-season it's earliest 16th and latest 31st.  Depends on when teams are eliminated but Arizona, Chicago, Montreal, Calgary are ranked lower than the Canucks.  They would pick ahead if they are eliminated at the same stage of the competition.

One of those teams is moving to 1st overall.  Here's the order and the latest spot they'll pick at.

9 Minnesota

10 Winnipeg

11 Rangers

12 Nashville

13 Florida

14  Columbus or Toronto

15 Edmonton

15 Pittsburgh

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The range is 16-31, which are the last 16 teams still in the playoffs.  The order of those picks depends on how the playoffs go.  If we win the next round our pick would jump into the 20's, between 24-31.

I think pick order only moves if a team makes it to the conference final. Getting eliminated from round 1 or round 2 makes no difference to the draft order unless they change it this time around due to Covid.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, 24K PureCool said:

I think pick order only moves if a team makes it to the conference final. Getting eliminated from round 1 or round 2 makes no difference to the draft order unless they change it this time around due to Covid.

Yes you are correct, with the caveat that it also includes whether you won your division:

The basic order of the NHL Entry Draft is determined based on the standings of the teams in the previous season. As with the other major sports leagues, the basic draft order is intended to favour the teams with the weakest performance who presumably need the most improvement in their roster to compete with the other teams. Subject to the results of the NHL Draft Lottery (discussed below), the teams pick in the same order each round, with each team getting one pick per round. The basic order of the picks is determined as follows:[9]

1. The teams that did not qualify for the playoffs the previous season (picks 1–15)
  2. The teams that made the playoffs in the previous season but did not win either their division in the regular season or play in the Conference Finals (picks 16–23 up to 27)
  3. The teams that won their divisions in the previous season but did not play in the Conference Finals (potentially picks 24–27)
  4. The teams that lose in Conference Finals (picks 28 and 29)
  5. The team that was the runner-up in the Stanley Cup Finals (pick 30)
  6. The team that won the Stanley Cup in the previous season (pick 31)

7 hours ago, mll said:

By making the post-season it's earliest 16th and latest 31st.  Depends on when teams are eliminated but Arizona, Chicago, Montreal, Calgary are ranked lower than the Canucks.  They would pick ahead if they are eliminated at the same stage of the competition.

One of those teams is moving to 1st overall.  Here's the order and the latest spot they'll pick at.

9 Minnesota

10 Winnipeg

11 Rangers

12 Nashville

13 Florida

14  Columbus or Toronto

15 Edmonton

15 Pittsburgh

Pittsburgh is getting Lafreniere.

Because it’s Pittsburgh.

Edited by Me_

6 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Yeah the Canucks won this trade. You would be thrilled if you could get a top 10 player in the draft to perform and become what Miller is now. The further the Canucks go the better and better this trade will look for Benning and the Canucks.

I wouldn’t want to take anything away from anyone who was involved in big trades including the Naslund, the Luongo and the Sedin draft trade.

But when all is said and done, this may be the best Canucks trade ever. 

Edited by Me_

1 hour ago, Me_ said:

I wouldn’t want to take anything away from anyone who was involved in big trades including the Naslund, the Luongo and the Sedin draft trade.

No. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

Yes, with Arizona, Chicago, and Montreal all advancing,  I believe we would have been picking at 19. Here’s hoping we can bump that up!

Naslund for Stojanov was the best. And I won't lie, I loved how Stojanov played. I was quite shocked. Because he was a wrecking ball. Then after about 20 games I didn't care about Stojanov. To think Quinn followed this up with signing of he who will not be named. I admire Gino even more saying signing #11 was a disaster. "Tom Renney would call a line up out and #11 would just jump on the ice". Insisted on played 25 minutes a night, when he physically couldn't do that. 

I know Gino respects the hell of out Pat Quinn, it must of have hurt everyone having a crushing ego like that on the team. 

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/gino-odjick-calls-out-mark-messier-canucks#.XzAcUkoD5s4.link

Edited by Ghostsof1915
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, HC20.0 said:

Yes, with Arizona, Chicago, and Montreal all advancing,  I believe we would have been picking at 19. Here’s hoping we can bump that up!

Sadly, even if the Canucks pick last (Meaning we won the Stanley Cup). I bet HF boards and the hate Benning crowd will still say it's a lousy trade. 

On 8/8/2020 at 4:50 PM, Me_ said:

Only way this beats the Naslund trade is if the pick doesn't make the NHL.

• Haha 2

No question Naslund was the best trade of all time.

Even considering just Benning's trades, I might have the Pearson trade ahead. Miller is a better player obviously, but we did pay a considerable price to get him. A mid 1st rounder isn't nothing.

The Pearson trade was not only getting a piece we desperately needed, but we also offloaded a problematic player/contract that was thought to be an anchor. That was A+ in every regard.

• Upvote 1