The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are we a playoff team next year?

Rate this topic

tan

YES we can and we will!

Canucks are one of the most improved team in the West

The Pacific was weak last year and appears to be even weaker this year. 

CGY - more or less the same roster still missing a goalie. Gio won't have another Norris season 

SJ - lost huge pieces in Pavelski and Braun 

VGK - The only team that would probably still kick our a**. Lost Colin Miller but will have a full year of Stone 

EDM - no improvement 

ARI - Should be better adding Kessel but nothing our roster can't handle 

ANA - entering rebuild lost Corey Perry 

LA- Entering rebuild 

• Upvote 4

15 hours ago, Bertuzzi44ever said:

Ok three things here.

1) it was Chris pronger who actually said last year that it takes most nhl defensemen until they’re twenty five to fully get the position at the nhl level. So if you’re saying I know nothing about the game because of that quote apparently nether does he. I’ve been associated with the game for over thirty years so if you think me and pronger know nothing about hockey, good for you. 

2) calling Myers a thirty point defensemen his absolutely hysterical. Yeah bud, on the jets one of the highest scoring teams in the league. If Myers gets over 15 I’ll be shocked. Again I’ve watched him live and on buffalo literally hundreds of times, so thanks for reading his stats and telling me about a player I’ve known for years.

3) not gonna argue it’s an upgrade over gudbranson but Miller and Myers are no saviours their just depth. DOnt tell someone what they know about hockey after a quote about a position. Especially when that comes from a guy who played over 1,000 games at that position and was one of the very best at it ever.

Making the NHL and being in your prime are completely different. So by your logic  we should wait 6 years until Hughes joins the club? Idk man he brings a lot of offensive elements that we NEED. Myers is a 30 point defenseman whether you like it or not. Idc how many times you’ve seen him play, the numbers on the stat sheet tell you that. He was putting up points in Buffalo too. The seasons where he didn’t achieve that he missed a lot of games and was on or close to a 30pt pace. I never said Myers was some god defensively, he is prone to mistakes but the size and offense he brings helps us a lot imo. Go ahead and think over 15 is a stretch and we’ll agree to disagree I guess.

• Upvote 3

No, the Canucks are not a playoff team this year.

It takes years for young players to learn how to win consistently.   Canucks may improve slightly over last year but we  ( and Canuck Management ) need to be patient. 

The UFA's  are gap fillers while our younger players are still developing. 

14 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

No, the Canucks are not a playoff team this year.

It takes years for young players to learn how to win consistently.   Canucks may improve slightly over last year but we  ( and Canuck Management ) need to be patient. 

The UFA's  are gap fillers while our younger players are still developing. 

Non believer. 

looking elias pettersson GIF by Twitter

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, spur1 said:

Logic without faith is just fantasy 

Good quip

However, logic has nothing to do with faith.  Logical analysis examines the facts and determines a conclusion - or at least a probability of a conclusion.  

Faith based analysis is the definition of fantasy imho.  Faith is believing something to be true based on belief that is not grounded in facts.  

Ie religion is a faith.  If the hockey team is your religion fair enough... but don’t suggest that logic needs faith to be effective.  Where would science be if faith were needed for scientific progress?????   

And... logic suggests it will be very tight and difficult for the team to make the playoffs based one:

1. This group hasn’t done it before

2. Lots of players are untested and u tested in this group - what role do they best fit in the team, do they have chemistry, etc.

not saying I’m not excited about this coming season - but really the team needs a lot to go right to make it.  Like EP and Boeser becoming legit stars.  Top 25 or so.  And other players having career years or for the younger players finding a new level of game.

and it goes without saying if Meyers or Miller are Eriksson type players then the team is done - as the contracts can’t be bought out.  Imagine if Erickson’s contract could be bought out?  I have no idea why these kind of deals are made - same money is even ok but just structure them for the team and not just the player.   Nobody else wanted Meyers for that $...Nobody else wanted Ericsson.   Baffling.

17 minutes ago, canucksnihilist said:

And... logic suggests it will be very tight and difficult for the team to make the playoffs based one:

2. Lots of players are untested and u tested in this group - what role do they best fit in the team, do they have chemistry, etc.

not saying I’m not excited about this coming season - but really the team needs a lot to go right to make it.  Like EP and Boeser becoming legit stars.  Top 25 or so.  And other players having career years or for the younger players finding a new level of game.

and it goes without saying if Meyers or Miller are Eriksson type players then the team is done - as the contracts can’t be bought out.  Imagine if Erickson’s contract could be bought out?  I have no idea why these kind of deals are made - same money is even ok but just structure them for the team and not just the player.   Nobody else wanted Meyers for that $...Nobody else wanted Ericsson.   Baffling.

SO much wrong here....

EP and BB are stars...QH will be a star and Bo is not far off those 3....

If Miller and Myers pull a Lui on us....then MacEwen and Juolevi are right there waiting to step in...and there is also Ferland and the bump that Gaudette and EP should get from having put in a season.

There is very little that can keep us from a playoff spot this year...we have been among the top 5 most injured teams for a few years now, that is likely to change this year...the Ref's and U Bett man are the only obstacles I see....

We will be 3rd in the Pacific or better...!

Just watch...!

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, canucksnihilist said:

Good quip

However, logic has nothing to do with faith.  Logical analysis examines the facts and determines a conclusion - or at least a probability of a conclusion.  

Faith based analysis is the definition of fantasy imho.  Faith is believing something to be true based on belief that is not grounded in facts.  

Ie religion is a faith.  If the hockey team is your religion fair enough... but don’t suggest that logic needs faith to be effective.  Where would science be if faith were needed for scientific progress?????   

Your logic is based on your faith in your self. 

I do not have the same faith in your logic. 

Edited by spur1

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 12:28 PM, Pears said:

xxxx - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Miller

Roussel - Gaudette - Virtanen

Motte - Beagle - MacEwen

Edler - xxxx

Hughes - xxxx/Stecher

Juolevi - Stecher/xxxx

Markstrom

Demko

Need a top six forward and another defenseman or two, but when healthy that’s a pretty decent group. 

You got your wish list... the way you put it together here was quite predictive.  Nice job.

Myers, Benn, and Fantenberg for D;

Ferland for top 6.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, canucksnihilist said:

No... based on statistics and history

Not sure why you don’t think that logic exists without faith - please explain your thinking process.

It is a matter of perspective. We are both looking at the same coin. You see tails, I see heads. 

21 hours ago, canucksnihilist said:

Ok let’s take a look at the division

Arizona - Just missed the playoffs last year despite literally getting destroyed by injuries. They might have overpaid for Kessel but he alone should give them enough of a jolt to get them in the playoffs. 

Vegas - good forward group, but really thin on defense after Theodore and Schmidt. Fleury will get tested quite often. 

Calgary - Lots of players overachieved last year and they got worse just by swapping Neal and Smith for Lucic and Talbot. They’ll regress. 

Edmonton - If McDavid wasn’t there they’d be destined for another top 5, maybe top 3 pick

San Jose - Don’t underestimate the loss of Pavelski, it will be a big hole to fill. Braun was traded for cap relief and, even with how good Karlsson is when he’s healthy, it’s unlikely he’ll play like an $11M a year player. Jones is wildly inconsistent too. 

LA - Lottery team

Anaheim - Lottery team

Playoffs are not as big of a pipe dream this year as people are making them out to be. The Pacific is wide open and, if I’m being honest, if Markstrom continues his play from December into this year and Demko is legit, we could have the best tandem in the division, which would be huge.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Pears said:

Ok let’s take a look at the division

Arizona - Just missed the playoffs last year despite literally getting destroyed by injuries. They might have overpaid for Kessel but he alone should give them enough of a jolt to get them in the playoffs. 

Vegas - good forward group, but really thin on defense after Theodore and Schmidt. Fleury will get tested quite often. 

Calgary - Lots of players overachieved last year and they got worse just by swapping Neal and Smith for Lucic and Talbot. They’ll regress. 

Edmonton - If McDavid wasn’t there they’d be destined for another top 5, maybe top 3 pick

San Jose - Don’t underestimate the loss of Pavelski, it will be a big hole to fill. Braun was traded for cap relief and, even with how good Karlsson is when he’s healthy, it’s unlikely he’ll play like an $11M a year player. Jones is wildly inconsistent too. 

LA - Lottery team

Anaheim - Lottery team

Playoffs are not as big of a pipe dream this year as people are making them out to be. The Pacific is wide open and, if I’m being honest, if Markstrom continues his play from December into this year and Demko is legit, we could have the best tandem in the division, which would be huge.

I like it when Travis Green puts our needed improvement to an extra 2 points a month.  When you break it down to that, with the improvement in our defense, and our offense, you don't think we can get 1 win extra compared to last year?  And how about evening out those 2 big losing streaks we had last season as well.  I agree with your assessments about divisional opponents, and I think the top 4 in our division will be Calgary, Arizona, Vancouver and Vegas/SJ.  Edmonton hasn't done enough unless their wingers find a way to match or beat...altogether, Draisatl's output in goals.  The division is kind of wide open, and there are some questions marks on all the teams involved.  For a lot of them, it could be goaltending that makes or breaks their seasons hopes.  What if Rittich and Talbot are....terrible.  etc etc.

12 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Please do.

I’ve seen Myers in Kelowna live for an entire season.

my second team is buffalo I’ve watched him play every game there and most on the jets I could and now that he’s on Van it means I’ll be watching essentially his entire career. Do tell me why you believe you know more about myers then me? Because you looked at his padded stays on one of the highest scoring teams in the league? Now that he’s coming to a team that scored about a hundred less goals and he has more responsibility it will completely cripple any offensive upside he once had. It’s been all downhill for him after his great rookie season, this six Million dollar price tag is going to make him enemy number one. If he’s not getting injured he will make even more Mistakes with more responsibility on a team that has trouble producing offense from the back. Its perfectly fine to be hopeful but the fact you’re so cocky with this right now is hysterical. Your living on hope whilE I’m living on facts. 

Could he turn his game around and be the defensemen he used to be earleir

in his career? Sure, but I’m the situation he’s in don’t count on it. Good to see you are I just wouldn’t be as cocky as you are. I’m sure when he doesent you’ll blame it on ice time greens coaching or someone’s injury.

just remember, this guy isn’t a saviour or even a highly touted dman.

Theres a reason Vancouver was the best offer he could get. I’m pretty sure it was the only one north of four million because benning while hit and miss at drafting is awful at signings. 

Everyone will surely hate this guy soon enough once he’s exposed he doesent  use his size 1/10th as well

as tryamkin and his offense is contrived at best. His physical play and defensive play is non existent and relies on his long reach to make great plays. He misses more then he hits, and by hits I mean hitting home runs.

Edited by Bertuzzi44ever

15 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44ever said:

I’ve seen Myers in Kelowna live for an entire season.

my second team is buffalo I’ve watched him play every game there and most on the jets I could and now that he’s on Van it means I’ll be watching essentially his entire career. Do tell me

why you believe you know more about myers then me? Because you looked at his padded stays on one of the highest scoring teams in the league? Now that he’s coming to a team that scored about a hundred less goals and he has more responsibility he it will completely cripple any offensive upsize he once had. It’s been all downhill after his rookie season.

his six Million dollar price tag is going to make him enemy number one. If he’s not getting injured he will make even more Mistakes with more responsibility on a team that has trouble producing offense from the back. its fine to be hopeful but the fact your so cocky with this right now is hysterical. Your living on hope whilE I’m living on facts. 

Could he turn his game around and be the defensemen he used to be earleir

in his career? Sure, but I’m the situation he’s in don’t count on it. Good to see you are I just wouldn’t be as cocky as you are. I’m sure when he doesent you’ll blame it on ice time greens coaching or someone’s injury.

just remember, this guy isn’t a saviour o a highly touted dman.

Theres a reason Vancouver was the best offer he could get. I’m pretty sure it was the only one north of four million because bending while hit and miss at drafting is awful at signings. 

Everyone will hate this guy he doesent use his size 1/10th as well

as tryamkin and his offense is contrived at best. His physical play and defensive play is non existent and relies on his long reach to make great plays. He misses more then he hits, and by hits I mean hitting home runs.

You literally said he'd be lucky to get 15 points, and that it was laughable to call him a 30 point defenseman. It only takes a moment of very brief, very simply math to see that he's been on pace for at least 30 points in 8 of 10 seasons spent in the NHL between both the Buffalo Sabres and the Winnipeg Jets. I don't care if you've watched every second of every game that he's ever played, you're still objectively wrong. 

Edit: Important to note that, in the only two seasons in which Myers didn't pace at least 30 points, one was the lockout shortened half season, and the other he still managed to pace at 29 points. 

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot

17 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

You literally said he'd be lucky to get 15 points, and that it was laughable to call him a 30 point defenseman. It only takes a moment of very brief, very simply math to see that he's been on pace for at least 30 points in 8 of 10 seasons spent in the NHL between both the Buffalo Sabres and the Winnipeg Jets. I don't care if you've watched every second of every game that he's ever played, you're still objectively wrong. 

Oh boy...

i meant this season...on the Canucks.

which is ya know what we’re projecting yet you’re relying on his numbers in 8 of the 10 years when he was on sabres teams that made the playoffs by the way  back then and jets teams that made

the playoffs as well. 

Put him on a non playoff team which is what we are until we prove otherwise of course and we’ll see if those are the same.

So objectively you’re not looking at this right but yeah I’ll stand by that. If his trial is closer to fifteen I win and if it’s closer to thirty you win. Which means anything 23 and above, and for me anything 22 and lower.

I hope I’m wrong I just don’t think I will be. He will also be less then -7 for sure. I’ll say below

-5 or below so also -4 and above you’ll win there too since you’ll probably

think that too. 

Also his give away to take away ratio will be awful as will his hits. His Corsi might be okay because he does shoot. But I would suspect that will be bad also, I also expect him to miss at least 15 games and more then half of cdc will complain about him and his salary in the PGThreads.

i want to be wrong but I want you to save this so we can see how accurate it is. If I’m wrong I’ll own it but if I’m right you should too.

Edited by Bertuzzi44ever