The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are we a playoff team next year?

Rate this topic

tan

I think as it stands today we might sneak in ok but there are a lot of variables involved as usual such as injuries to other teams as well as us. That being said i think our depth is progressing and in better position to offset what injuries we have, for a change.

However if we can somehow pry Ferland away from calgary OR someone like him we should be in no problem but we need a  hot start to the season once again and hopefully not lose ground again when the injury bug bites. 

I really like the additions of Myers, Benn and Fantenberg on D. In past, the Canucks would try to get down the stretch with Tanev and Edler, and it was a disaster. Injuries every year, and then having to rely on Stecher, Hutton and Biega to tow the line. Adding Hughes, Myers and Benn to the D core improves it a ton. Then having some depth with Fantenberg, Juolevi, Sautner, maybe even Woo gets in a few games later in the season.  

2 minutes ago, derr12 said:

On paper, we are way better than this time last year. If we remain reasonably healthy this year instead of loosing half our defence and half our top 6 again, I think we are 8th seed or better. 

Agreed.  We have more depth now too, so the inevitable injuries shouldn’t derail us as much as recent years.  

I think we will get one of the three top spots in our division.  

Our PK will be strong. We can clear the crease easier and limit chances in our D zone. Forwards were going to our net too easily last year.

Our PP should be in the middle of the pack. Healthy 1st line. Myers helps. 

I think our added size will reduce our injuries.

Wildcard team probably.

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Cheers 1

On 7/2/2019 at 9:07 PM, Alflives said:

Agreed.  We have more depth now too, so the inevitable injuries shouldn’t derail us as much as recent years.  

I think we will get one of the three top spots in our division.  

Maybe even top 2. A home advantage first round would be awesome. 

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

If the D stays relatively healthy and Marky takes another step forward or doesn't decline, I think they will be competing for a playoff spot in the final week. 

We will have it nailed down long before the final week.

• Upvote 1

We are no longer a one-dimensional team. This team will find ways to win even when Bo, EP, and Boeser aren't on the scoresheet.

We now have really good depth and utility players that can move up and down the lineup. As long as the core 4 (Bo, EP, Boeser, and Hughes) take a step forward, there is strong enough supporting cast to take us to the playoffs and probably beat Calgary if we meet them.

The thing about the Canucks having a better year is any points they take away from the other teams in the division or conference are worth double. It strengthens our playoff position and weakens theirs.

Last season we lost horribly to San Jose although we did win one 1/4

We went 1/4 against Vegas.

we went 1/4 against Anaheim

Lost all three to WPG 0/3

Lost all 4 against Arizona 0/4 although 2 OT losses

If we take 4 points from all of these teams, we jump up 20 points in the standings well OT games skew that result but even if its 16 points where are we?

Its not out of the realm of possibilities to think we make the third seed in the Pacific at least. Its a big IF but we need to start taking points back from some of the teams we gave them to last season and hold on to the gains we made.

Teams we did not take a point off of in 2018/19

Wash

WPG

NYI

NJD

MTL

CAR

Even just an OT Loss to these teams would produce 6 more points

Teams that will be better than us

Predators

Jets

Flames

Sharks

Knights

Teams that we should be better than

Kings

Oilers

Ducks

Wild

Blackhawks

Teams that we will be most likely competing for the last few spots in the conference

Blues

Stars

Avalanche

Coyotes

-Stars improved quite a bit this offseason and have a nicely built team

-Blues are a bit of a wildcard, will they be the team they were in the first half or the last half of last season?  

-Avalanche have a pretty wicked roster with their top line and now depth with Kadri.  If Makar plays like the stud he looks he is they are going to be good

-Coyotes have nothing really spectacular about their roster but have quietly gone about getting better each year. 

I see us coming in the 9 spot ahead of the Coyotes but behind the Stars, Blues and Avs to make the playoffs.  If we miraculously stay relatively injury free on the backend with Tanev playing a full season I could see us sneaking in over a team like the Stars or a team that just has a horrible season like the Jets after loosing so many players to UFA or some other unpredictable anomaly but this league is so competitive it's going to be hard to get into the playoffs

• Cheers 1