The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are we a playoff team next year?

Rate this topic

tan

16 hours ago, Bertuzzi44ever said:

Huge? Adding J.T. Miller a guy who can barely crack fifty points on the top line of the best scoring team in the league is going to come to Vancouver and suddenly light it up with less points then eriksson when we signed did and produce even better,? and a full year out of a 19 year old defensemen? Are you serious? It takes until they’re 25 (most of them) u too they get the job at the pro level. dahlin did amazing and was the second best 18 yr olD dman  inn NHL history and it did little to turn buffalo around. Hughes can be amazing but it’s going to take more then that. Myers was a god awful contract he sucks I watched him live on Kelowna and on buffalo and after year one his play fell off a cliff he isn’t worth three million let alone six. fetland  was a good one and we’re on the right track but sorry jt miller is no messiah and Hughes is a 19 ur old dman. Not that huge.

Miller has been a consistent 40+ point player for the past 5 years or so. You gonna act like those points aren’t gonna make us better? Myers is a 30+ point defenseman, even tho he isn’t the best in his own end he’s still a major upgrade over Hutton and Gudbranson. People who actually watched Hughes play know he can be a difference maker. The fact that you think it takes dmen(especially a top 10 pick) till age 25 to make the NHL shows you know nothing about hockey.

• Like 1
  • Wat 1

To compete u need:

1. Two top lines that are scoring threats.  Ep, Boeser, Horvat.  Miller. Ferland.  Pearson?

close... but how does that stack up against a legit contender?   If EP is a superstar, meaning he can produce at a ppg pace against top D.... then it looks better.... but no other player in that top 6 is in danger of getting to a 100pt season.  And EP is an unknown.  He might be a 60-70 point player against top D.

so no... there is no one two legit punch.  Let’s see how EP and Boeser develop, but they are the only 2 that might get there.   Is that going to carry the team?  Sounds like they need a 40 goal helper, and I don’t see the rest of the top 6 anywhere close.  Miller isn’t going to do it.  We can hope - if EP is a superstar it turns this around.  If so it would be in a few years.

2. Shutdown line.  Used to have it.  But Sutter is done - his speed is gone.  That means Bo has to be shutdown, and that means fewer goals for the team.  So on this front... no.  Maybe gaudette can step up.

3. Dynamic D.   Well Hughes might be the real deal.  But probably a few years away from really doing it.  Nobody else in the team is even close to a game changing defense man.  So.... no.

4. Goaltender.  Markstrom played lights out for a long time last year.  So ya.  And if they make the playoffs it will be because of Markstrom.   Demko might be a star but we don’t know.

conclusion:  if the kids develop enough then yes.  But in all likelihood it will be really close. The team will have a better chance in a few years when the young core has played a few seasons together.   Then if we can save the cap space and grab a game changer, or keep our draft picks (which always seems elusive in Vancouver) and get lucky then we should be a solid playoff team.   But this coming year?  I predict a strong start and a February slump (just like the last 4 years) that hopefully the team can overcome.

in any case they aren’t a powerhouse team next year.  Maybe in a few years.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, canucksnihilist said:

To compete u need:

1. Two top lines that are scoring threats.  Ep, Boeser, Horvat.  Miller. Ferland.  Pearson?

close... but how does that stack up against a legit contender?   If EP is a superstar, meaning he can produce at a ppg pace against top D.... then it looks better.... but no other player in that top 6 is in danger of getting to a 100pt season.  And EP is an unknown.  He might be a 60-70 point player against top D.

so no... there is no one two legit punch.  Let’s see how EP and Boeser develop, but they are the only 2 that might get there.   Is that going to carry the team?  Sounds like they need a 40 goal helper, and I don’t see the rest of the top 6 anywhere close.  Miller isn’t going to do it.  We can hope - if EP is a superstar it turns this around.  If so it would be in a few years.

2. Shutdown line.  Used to have it.  But Sutter is done - his speed is gone.  That means Bo has to be shutdown, and that means fewer goals for the team.  So on this front... no.  Maybe gaudette can step up.

3. Dynamic D.   Well Hughes might be the real deal.  But probably a few years away from really doing it.  Nobody else in the team is even close to a game changing defense man.  So.... no.

4. Goaltender.  Markstrom played lights out for a long time last year.  So ya.  And if they make the playoffs it will be because of Markstrom.   Demko might be a star but we don’t know.

conclusion:  if the kids develop enough then yes.  But in all likelihood it will be really close. The team will have a better chance in a few years when the young core has played a few seasons together.   Then if we can save the cap space and grab a game changer, or keep our draft picks (which always seems elusive in Vancouver) and get lucky then we should be a solid playoff team.   But this coming year?  I predict a strong start and a February slump (just like the last 4 years) that hopefully the team can overcome.

in any case they aren’t a powerhouse team next year.  Maybe in a few years.

Playoffs start this season. Your assessment of the team is very negative. 

• Cheers 1

Canucks have some depth now. Injuries have killed the playoff dream way too many times over the years, but this year they have guys who can step in. They won't have to rely on Biega to be Tanev and Hutton to be Edler. I don't think the Canucks are going to surprise any teams for long. They're getting no respect right now, because they haven't dione anything yet, but that will change.

The California teams will struggle. The Alberta teams just swapped players over the off season, so that's good for the Canucks. Sure, ARI got Kessel, but c'mon. He's got his Cups and will now take it easy in the desert. Vegas will be competitive. Top 3 teams from the Pacific get in. My guess is they will be:

1. VGK

2. VAN

3. CGY

• Upvote 1

-The biggest improvement? Now we have legit top 6 players. Yes our young stars have not fully developed but we are better then last year and they are only getting better. 

-D depth has improved with Myers and Benn and Hughes is a legit PMD defenseman. Again he needs seasoning but he is an improvement over Hutton and Pouliot and will see PP time.

-We now have 2 goalies who can play adequately and Demko will slowly improve.

-Our team toughness has also improved and we will now see a notable difference in the attitude of the team and players such as Virtanen and Roussel will benefit.

These are areas that needed to be addressed and JB has done a great job. 

We might not be playoff FAVORITES, but we are definitely in contention and sometimes that's all you need as Vegas and St. Louis can attest to.

Question marks are going to be Markstrom's play and injuries as usual. I think we are better prepared for these instances then previous years so even if they become issues, we should still remain competitive. We will see playoffs this year.

On 7/29/2019 at 3:17 PM, BPA said:

Can you imagine the insanity if Canucks win the cup on their 50th year in the league?

What a great storybook dream that would be.

:)

Had $1000 deal with my Habs fan coworker. It’s sort of a way to bribe for a cup. If Canucks win the Cup in 2020, I pay her $1000 and if Montreal wins the cup, I get $1000 from her.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

Had $1000 deal with my Habs fan coworker. It’s sort of a way to bribe for a cup. If Canucks win the Cup in 2020, I pay her $1000 and if Montreal wins the cup, I get $1000 from her.

Talk about a low-risk wager for her lol

Kiss your 1k goodbye though ;)

• Haha 1

Was just reading an article about the Canucks odds of making the playoffs. The oddsmakers have us jumping from 81 points last season to 90.5 next season. Its a big step forward but we still miss the playoffs. This would have us picking in the 12-15 range at next years draft and keeping our first round pick. In that range Justin Baron looks like a good RD prospect we could get. 

BetOnline Odds
Eastern Conference Western Conference
Metropolitan Central
1 Washington Capitals 96.5 1 Colorado Avalanche 98.5
2 Carolina Hurricanes 95.5 2 Nashville Predators 98.5
3 Pittsburgh Penguins 94.5 3 Dallas Stars 96.5
Atlantic Pacific
1 Tampa Bay Lightning 108.5 1 Vegas Golden Knights 100.5
2 Toronto Maple Leafs 101.5 2 Calgary Flames 96.5
3 Boston Bruins 100.5 3 San Jose Sharks 93.5
Wild Card Wild Card
1 Florida Panthers 96.5 1 St. Louis Blues 96.5
2 New York Islanders 92.5 2 Winnipeg Jets 95.5
3 Philadelphia Flyers 90.5 3 Arizona Coyotes 90.5
4 Montreal Canadiens 88.5 4 Chicago Blackhawks 90.5
5 New Jersey Devils 88.5 5 Vancouver Canucks 90.5
6 New York Rangers 87.5 6 Edmonton Oilers 85.5
7 Columbus Blue Jackets 84.5 7 Minnesota Wild 85.5
8 Buffalo Sabres 83.5 8 Anaheim Ducks 79.5
9 Detroit Red Wings 75.5 9 Los Angeles Kings 73.5
10 Ottawa Senators 68.5      

1 Ottawa logo Ottawa Alexis Lafrenière C Rimouski(QMJHL) 6' 0" 171
2 Los Angeles logo Los Angeles Alexander Holtz RW Djurgardens IF(SHL) 6' 0" 183
3 Buffalo logo Buffalo Lucas Raymond LW Frölunda HC(SHL) 5' 10" 170
4 Minnesota logo Minnesota Quinton Byfield LW Sudbury (OHL) 6' 3.5" 214
5 Anaheim logo Anaheim Cole Perfetti C Saginaw (OHL) 5' 9.25" 172
6 Detroit logo Detroit Anton Lundell C HIFK Helsinki(SM-liiga) 5' 11" 165
7 Columbus logo Columbus Yaroslav Askarov G SKA-1946 (MHL) 6' 2" 160
8 Arizona logo Arizona Marco Rossi C Ottawa 67's(OHL) 5' 10" 165
9 Edmonton logo Edmonton Antonio Stranges C London (OHL) 5' 10" 165
10 New Jersey logo New Jersey Jean-Luc Foudy C Windsor (OHL) 5' 10" 165
11 Tampa Bay logo Tampa Bay Trade Icon Jamie Drysdale D Erie (OHL) 5' 10" 163
12 NY Rangers logo NY Rangers Justin Sourdif C Vancouver(WHL) 5' 10" 161
13 Chicago logo Chicago Justin Barron D Halifax (QMJHL) 6' 1" 187
14 Philadelphia logo Philadelphia Dylan Holloway LW Okotoks (AJHL) 6' 1" 165
15 Montreal logo Montreal Théo Rochette C Chicoutimi(QMJHL) 5' 10" 177
16 Carolina logo Carolina Braden Schneider D Brandon (WHL) 6' 1.25" 197
17 Florida logo Florida Jake Sanderson D USNTDP (USHL) 6' 0.5" 170
18 Pittsburgh logo Pittsburgh Ryan O'Rourke D Sault Ste. Marie(OHL) 6' 2" 182
19 NY Islanders logo NY Islanders Connor McClennon C Kootenay (WHL) 5' 9" 154
20 Las Vegas logo Las Vegas Jérémie Poirier D Saint John(QMJHL) 6' 0" 168
21 Colorado logo Colorado Jaromir Pytlik C Sault Ste. Marie(OHL) 6' 2" 192
22 Dallas logo Dallas Tim Stützle LW Mannheim (DEL) 5' 9" 159
23 Winnipeg logo Winnipeg Hendrix Lapierre C Chicoutimi(QMJHL) 5' 11" 161
24 Nashville logo Nashville Tyler Kleven D US-Under-17(USAH-NTDP) 6' 2" 185
25 San Jose logo San Jose Kaiden Guhle D Prince Albert(WHL) 6' 2" 190
26 Carolina logo Carolina Trade Icon Noel Gunler RW Luleå HF (SHL) 6' 1" 177
27 Washington logo Washington Jacob Perreault C Sarnia (OHL) 5' 11" 198
28 Calgary logo Calgary Ridly Greig LW Brandon (WHL) 5' 11" 160
29 Boston logo Boston Connor Zary C Kamloops(WHL) 5' 11" 165
30 Tampa Bay logo Tampa Bay Kasper Simontaival RW Tappara Tampere (SM-liiga) 5' 8" 180
31 St. Louis logo St. Louis Dylan Peterson C US-Under-17(USAH-NTDP) 6' 3" 183

Justin Barron

Defense -- shoots R
Born Nov 15 2001 -- Halifax, NS 
[17 yrs. ago] 
Height 6.02 -- Weight 187 [188 cm/85 kg]

Regular Season Playoffs
Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM +/- GP G A Pts PIM
2017-18 Halifax Mooseheads QMJHL 51 2 19 21 8 18 9 0 3 3 2
2018-19 Halifax Mooseheads QMJHL 68 9 32 41 34 42 23 2 11 13 10

1 hour ago, kenhodgejr said:

Was just reading an article about the Canucks odds of making the playoffs. The oddsmakers have us jumping from 81 points last season to 90.5 next season. Its a big step forward but we still miss the playoffs. This would have us picking in the 12-15 range at next years draft and keeping our first round pick. In that range Justin Baron looks like a good RD prospect we could get. 

BetOnline Odds
Eastern Conference Western Conference
Metropolitan Central
1 Washington Capitals 96.5 1 Colorado Avalanche 98.5
2 Carolina Hurricanes 95.5 2 Nashville Predators 98.5
3 Pittsburgh Penguins 94.5 3 Dallas Stars 96.5
Atlantic Pacific
1 Tampa Bay Lightning 108.5 1 Vegas Golden Knights 100.5
2 Toronto Maple Leafs 101.5 2 Calgary Flames 96.5
3 Boston Bruins 100.5 3 San Jose Sharks 93.5
Wild Card Wild Card
1 Florida Panthers 96.5 1 St. Louis Blues 96.5
2 New York Islanders 92.5 2 Winnipeg Jets 95.5
3 Philadelphia Flyers 90.5 3 Arizona Coyotes 90.5
4 Montreal Canadiens 88.5 4 Chicago Blackhawks 90.5
5 New Jersey Devils 88.5 5 Vancouver Canucks 90.5
6 New York Rangers 87.5 6 Edmonton Oilers 85.5
7 Columbus Blue Jackets 84.5 7 Minnesota Wild 85.5
8 Buffalo Sabres 83.5 8 Anaheim Ducks 79.5
9 Detroit Red Wings 75.5 9 Los Angeles Kings 73.5
10 Ottawa Senators 68.5      

1 Ottawa logo Ottawa Alexis Lafrenière C Rimouski(QMJHL) 6' 0" 171
2 Los Angeles logo Los Angeles Alexander Holtz RW Djurgardens IF(SHL) 6' 0" 183
3 Buffalo logo Buffalo Lucas Raymond LW Frölunda HC(SHL) 5' 10" 170
4 Minnesota logo Minnesota Quinton Byfield LW Sudbury (OHL) 6' 3.5" 214
5 Anaheim logo Anaheim Cole Perfetti C Saginaw (OHL) 5' 9.25" 172
6 Detroit logo Detroit Anton Lundell C HIFK Helsinki(SM-liiga) 5' 11" 165
7 Columbus logo Columbus Yaroslav Askarov G SKA-1946 (MHL) 6' 2" 160
8 Arizona logo Arizona Marco Rossi C Ottawa 67's(OHL) 5' 10" 165
9 Edmonton logo Edmonton Antonio Stranges C London (OHL) 5' 10" 165
10 New Jersey logo New Jersey Jean-Luc Foudy C Windsor (OHL) 5' 10" 165
11 Tampa Bay logo Tampa Bay Trade Icon Jamie Drysdale D Erie (OHL) 5' 10" 163
12 NY Rangers logo NY Rangers Justin Sourdif C Vancouver(WHL) 5' 10" 161
13 Chicago logo Chicago Justin Barron D Halifax (QMJHL) 6' 1" 187
14 Philadelphia logo Philadelphia Dylan Holloway LW Okotoks (AJHL) 6' 1" 165
15 Montreal logo Montreal Théo Rochette C Chicoutimi(QMJHL) 5' 10" 177
16 Carolina logo Carolina Braden Schneider D Brandon (WHL) 6' 1.25" 197
17 Florida logo Florida Jake Sanderson D USNTDP (USHL) 6' 0.5" 170
18 Pittsburgh logo Pittsburgh Ryan O'Rourke D Sault Ste. Marie(OHL) 6' 2" 182
19 NY Islanders logo NY Islanders Connor McClennon C Kootenay (WHL) 5' 9" 154
20 Las Vegas logo Las Vegas Jérémie Poirier D Saint John(QMJHL) 6' 0" 168
21 Colorado logo Colorado Jaromir Pytlik C Sault Ste. Marie(OHL) 6' 2" 192
22 Dallas logo Dallas Tim Stützle LW Mannheim (DEL) 5' 9" 159
23 Winnipeg logo Winnipeg Hendrix Lapierre C Chicoutimi(QMJHL) 5' 11" 161
24 Nashville logo Nashville Tyler Kleven D US-Under-17(USAH-NTDP) 6' 2" 185
25 San Jose logo San Jose Kaiden Guhle D Prince Albert(WHL) 6' 2" 190
26 Carolina logo Carolina Trade Icon Noel Gunler RW Luleå HF (SHL) 6' 1" 177
27 Washington logo Washington Jacob Perreault C Sarnia (OHL) 5' 11" 198
28 Calgary logo Calgary Ridly Greig LW Brandon (WHL) 5' 11" 160
29 Boston logo Boston Connor Zary C Kamloops(WHL) 5' 11" 165
30 Tampa Bay logo Tampa Bay Kasper Simontaival RW Tappara Tampere (SM-liiga) 5' 8" 180
31 St. Louis logo St. Louis Dylan Peterson C US-Under-17(USAH-NTDP) 6' 3" 183

Justin Barron

Defense -- shoots R
Born Nov 15 2001 -- Halifax, NS 
[17 yrs. ago] 
Height 6.02 -- Weight 187 [188 cm/85 kg]

Regular Season Playoffs
Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM +/- GP G A Pts PIM
2017-18 Halifax Mooseheads QMJHL 51 2 19 21 8 18 9 0 3 3 2
2018-19 Halifax Mooseheads QMJHL 68 9 32 41 34 42 23 2 11 13 10

The guy who wrote this is dumb. As long as the Canucks miss the playoffs, they keep their own 2020 pick, regardless of lottery or not. It's the 2021 pick that we should be worried about if we miss both years, 2021 will be unprotected. I just hope we make the playoffs next year and have that part done and away with and not have to pray in 2021.

22 hours ago, spur1 said:

Playoffs start this season. Your assessment of the team is very negative. 

Glad u have a crystal ball.

reality is it should be close.   The first year a team competes for it they don’t necessarily get in.  They aren’t a powerhouse by any means right now

54 minutes ago, canucksnihilist said:

Glad u have a crystal ball.

reality is it should be close.   The first year a team competes for it they don’t necessarily get in.  They aren’t a powerhouse by any means right now

Ye of little faith. 

On 7/29/2019 at 7:30 PM, ButterBean said:

Miller has been a consistent 40+ point player for the past 5 years or so. You gonna act like those points aren’t gonna make us better? Myers is a 30+ point defenseman, even tho he isn’t the best in his own end he’s still a major upgrade over Hutton and Gudbranson. People who actually watched Hughes play know he can be a difference maker. The fact that you think it takes dmen(especially a top 10 pick) till age 25 to make the NHL shows you know nothing about hockey.

Ok three things here.

1) it was Chris pronger who actually said last year that it takes most nhl defensemen until they’re twenty five to fully get the position at the nhl level. So if you’re saying I know nothing about the game because of that quote apparently nether does he. I’ve been associated with the game for over thirty years so if you think me and pronger know nothing about hockey, good for you. 

2) calling Myers a thirty point defensemen his absolutely hysterical. Yeah bud, on the jets one of the highest scoring teams in the league. If Myers gets over 15 I’ll be shocked. Again I’ve watched him live and on buffalo literally hundreds of times, so thanks for reading his stats and telling me about a player I’ve known for years.

3) not gonna argue it’s an upgrade over gudbranson but Miller and Myers are no saviours their just depth. DOnt tell someone what they know about hockey after a quote about a position. Especially when that comes from a guy who played over 1,000 games at that position and was one of the very best at it ever.

Edited by Bertuzzi44ever

On 7/28/2019 at 12:01 PM, debluvscanucks said:

I sure hope so.

But there's so much that has to line up ... mostly - health and goaltending.  Two key components.

Then we just leave it up to Petey and Company to lead the way.

I feel if the league truly does address the cheap shots and dirty stuff, we have a chance.  Or, if they don't, that some of our new additions help put an end to the stuff that targets Petey because some don't have any other way to defend against him.  They resort to the stuff that lacks in respect for the game...like throwdowns to the ice, etc.

I really hope they do make it - they have the right energy/attitude.  And..they deserve it (to do we!).  Playoffs are a special kind of hockey that can really elevate team bonding to a whole new level.

You’re the biggest burrows supporter and your talking about the league getting rid of cheap shots? And dirty play, burrows is an incredible success and inspiration but at least be consistent he had tons of the Marchand varietY and to deny that would Be homerism of the John garrett variety. It’s like Kypreos said the other day ...

“people say we need to get this out of the game whenever a dirty play happens. People wake up! It’s out of the game more now then ever! This is literally the cleanest this game has ever been!”

There’s less rough stuff now then ever before due to implemented rules, the style and flow, pace of the game amongst everything else. Theirs barely goons on teams ahymore you can barely name them now. Fighting is at a all time low and the craft on the ice is performed best by elite speed, unity and skill. Plus millennials have this commonality thing of respect and bonding remember the players are too nice now  quotes. So Even if we overlook the burrows irony of the comment that is so not going to be a determining factor on us making it IMO. I also feel that statement plays the victim card, every team complains about bad calls and when we do our fans label it a conspiracy. The aforementioned garrett calling an interrogation each time we go to the box doesn’t help fans views of this and we get a bad rep as a result. Not saying you mean it that way though.

I agree with goaltending and staying healthy though. For sure. Also I’ll add being in the most wide open and arguably easiest division in the league. It only seems hard because of parity. Go over every other team in all the other vision stuff and it’s evident how lucky we are. I mean  sub .500 record is always like two points away from first in the division around Xmas. So that would be a reason why we make it with the oil and coyotes always failing, the ducks and kings in the slide, the flames u predictable and the sharks and knights are good but who knows when they fall too.

also Petey has to put on size and not be as fragile as glass too, it’s not just that no one can stop him. I want to see what he has to offer us he really slowed down as the year went on and I hope his injuries aren’t a constant thing. 

Edited by Bertuzzi44ever

On 7/29/2019 at 9:43 AM, debluvscanucks said:

You're undermining the impact of acquiring pieces that are needed and how filling holes can impact everyone's game/numbers.  We aren't looking for "superstars" = we have one (potentially 2-3).  So we needed a supporting cast that could help them do what they do more than anything.  These players fit in that.  

So you're looking at points and what a guy did 5-10 years ago.  Players mature and sometimes it's a matter of them being utilized in order to maximize their potential.  So many things that you've decided on but I'd prefer to see what happens HERE....not just look at the past.

We do need scoring and have players in place to lead the charge in that - the problem was, they were being targeted and focused on and we needed some players who could distract from that.  It's not quite as one dimensional as you've broken it down.

An "amazing" player or two are the building blocks and you're not really accounting for the fact that we do have them.  The other guys just need to focus on their roles and make sure they do them well.  I'm confident we've added players that can help in that.

It is huge to bring in some grit and size...even if it's not of the beat them down kind.  It will serve as more of a deterrent. 

I can agree with these views.

• Upvote 1

The biggest factor to me for this years Canucks team making the playoffs is injuries . On Paper I think the Canucks are a way better team and now have some interchangeable NHL caliber depth up and down the line up . the last couple of years having things like both top defenseman hurt at the same time or out for long periods  and others having to play way over their heads  was devastating to the team . Hughes Benn and Myers added will make an awesome change to the back line . I think a healthy Sutter  and Baertschi along with Miller and Ferland is Huge going forward . I think Jake has gotten better every year he has been here and hope that this year his offence improves the way his defence has . A full year with Marky and Demko should be a mitt full of  added points in the standings  .  Sorry I do tend to carry on  haha