The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in Gustav Nyquist

2 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

We have about 17.5 mill in cap space now. Assuming 7 mill goes to Boes and 7 mill (ugh) goes to Myers, that leaves us with 3.5 mill. Leivo gets 2, Motte gets 1.5 and the cap space is gone. 

We'd have to make a few moves to drop some significant cap space. We'd have to figure out a way to drop Eriksson and either Sutter or Beagle.

Likely comes down to Eriksson as you mention.  If we can rid ourselves of Eriksson and a 4th for future considerations then it’s essentially Eriksson and a 4th for Nyquist.

Just now, Kobayashi Maru said:

Likely comes down to Eriksson as you mention.  If we can rid ourselves of Eriksson and a 4th for future considerations then it’s essentially Eriksson and a 4th for Nyquist.

Even if we were to shed the entire contract, we'd still be up against it and probably slightly over. And I'm not so sure that we will be able to shed the entire contract, unless the two sides mutually decide to terminate after Eriksson's bonus is paid. Otherwise, I think we're looking at about 3 mill retention. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

We have about 17.5 mill in cap space now. Assuming 7 mill goes to Boes and 7 mill (ugh) goes to Myers, that leaves us with 3.5 mill. Leivo gets 2, Motte gets 1.5 and the cap space is gone. 

We'd have to make a few moves to drop some significant cap space. We'd have to figure out a way to drop Eriksson and either Sutter or Beagle.

17.5 for 21 contracts.  You don't add up every single player under contract.

• Cheers 1

What happened to everybody wanting Ferland?  There hasn’t been any talk about him recently.  I personally want to ensure we have enough skill in the top 6 but Ferland may still be an option assuming this cap all works out.  D is still the #1 priority.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Nyqvist (30) is going to want money and term. Maybe something in the $6 range? That could be a bit steep. I wonder if his teammate, Donskoi (27), would be a better option? He would want money and term as well, but he's 3 years younger and I think he would be cheaper.  Maybe playing with Horvat elevates his game? 

Sneaky skilled, lightning quick skater and very strong on the puck for a lankier guy. High character guy and a locker-room/fan favourite.

And yes, he'll come much cheaper than Nyquist.

Just now, Kobayashi Maru said:

What happened to everybody wanting Ferland?  There hasn’t been any talk about him recently.  I personally want to ensure we have enough skill in the top 6 but Ferland may still be an option assuming this cap all works out.  D is still the #1 priority.

Don't need anymore since we got Miller.  Risky anyway with his injury history, and will likely cost at least as much.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Don't need anymore since we got Miller.  Risky anyway with his injury history, and will likely cost at least as much.

Yeah just wasn’t sure if we double down on grit or go for skill (my preference) if we have room in the top 6.  I’m still willing to go risky as we have serious forward depth and would target Puljujarvi as our next forward addition while we get Myers or someone like it on D.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Go look where he scores from.

I understand about 70% of his goals are from right in front of the net and in the slot, he certainly is willing.

Unfortunately it has resulted in injuries for him,  he has missed 82 games over 2 seasons and in those 2 seasons only put up 23 goals total.

I don't find him to be hard on the puck or on the boards, I don't find he protects the puck very well, and it is showing that he can't take the beating you have to endure infront of the net to be productive long term.

I think he's soft, that's my opinion.

You can only have so many of those guys. 

We need puck hounds and toughness to compliment the more finesse guys we have.

If Nyquist is one of the better finesse guys then maybe he could be a good fit.

People called the Sedins soft but they could take a beating.

Baertschi can't, and doesn't give it out either.

Anyway that's my take on it, I would be happy to hear yours in more than 6 words or just a confused face. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Kosmo Kramer said:

I understand about 70% of his goals are from right in front of the net and in the slot, he certainly is willing.

Unfortunately it has resulted in injuries for him,  he has missed 82 games over 2 seasons and in those 2 seasons only put up 23 goals total.

I don't find him to be hard on the puck or on the boards, I don't find he protects the puck very well, and it is showing that he can't take the beating you have to endure infront of the net to be productive long term.

I think he's soft, that's my opinion.

You can only have so many of those guys. 

We need puck hounds and toughness to compliment the more finesse guys we have.

If Nyquist is one of the better finesse guys then maybe he could be a good fit.

People called the Sedins soft but they could take a beating.

Baertschi can't, and doesn't give it out either.

Anyway that's my take on it, I would be happy to hear yours in more than 6 words or just a confused face. 

His injuries have largely been blind head shots etc. That's not soft. He battles along the boards just fine, goes to the net etc.

Yeah, he has 'trouble' taking dirty hits to the head :rolleyes:

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, aGENT said:

His injuries have largely been blind head shots etc. That's not soft. He battles along the boards just fine, goes to the net etc.

Yeah, he has 'trouble' taking dirty hits to the head :rolleyes:

Fair enough, hopefully he can have a healthy season and show me wrong.

I don't have anything against him, just tired of our top 6 being victims.

Just now, Kosmo Kramer said:

Fair enough, hopefully he can have a healthy season and show me wrong.

I don't have anything against him, just tired of our top 6 being victims.

I see us moving him because Miller and Pearson have basically taken the two top 6 LW spots, but he's a perfectly good, responsible, gritty, 2 way, 2nd liner.... when he's not getting elbowed in the head.

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Great minds think alike!

I just posted a very similar deal (but with Goldy added) in the Armchair GM section about speculation that Loui deal with OTT is already in place waiting for 1 July...

I agree that it is already tentatively done. JB will not want to move on some UFAs until the deal is sealed.

It will be something like:

To OTT: Loui + Goldy + 2020 4th

To VAN: Future considerations

Assuming we sign RFAs: Boeser to $7m, Motte $1.2m, Leivo $1.2m. And waive Schaller.

This would give us the cap space to sign (for example):

Myers @ $6m per

Nyquist @ $6m per

Nemeth @ $3m per

Schenn @ $1.5m per

Possible roster:

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Nyquist

Baer Sutter Virtanen

Roussel Beagle Motte

Leivo

Edler Stecher

Hughes Myers

Nemeth Tanev

Sautner Schenn

Marky

Demko

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, aGENT said:

I see us moving him because Miller and Pearson have basically taken the two top 6 LW spots, but he's a perfectly good, responsible, gritty, 2 way, 2nd liner.... when he's not getting elbowed in the head.

Unfortunately Baer has had his share of cheap shots in his career to date. IMHO his injury history is why he has to go. Whether legal or not. Building a team towards serious CUP play requires it. Playoffs are not regular season and if nothing else this season's playoffs simply re-enforce how the NHL still relys on physical play to fill the stands. That is not going away and as a result Baer and Tanev have to go.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I wouldn’t mind Matt Zuccarello on a short term deal if we lose out on Nyqvist. 

If we signed Zuccarello we would get a whole nation of supporters in Norway. They love him, and follow every move. It's a little bit ridiculous, though; how good they think he is. I mean he's good but not Crosby good as they assume... OK I'm exaggerating by that comparison, but it's to prove a point. 

• Cheers 2