The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Buyout] Canucks buy out Ryan Spooner

31 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Motte?  Do we really need him?  No more than 1 million, so he can be a  Depth guy and go to Utica and costs nothing against our cap. 

Wow, unbelievable! 

Alf, I heard the news about Spooner and since you mentioned it yesterday, I was looking for your name to congratulate your foresight, and I walk in to find this comment!  

Motte is our future Burrows, our future Honey Badger.  Hell no, Motte isn't going nowhere!  He was one of our best defensive forwards, anchored our very strong PK and was our hits leader (by a country mile). 

37 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Canucks should know by now throwing life lines to former players is not working...nepotism is so real with this management/coaching staff 

Benning: Eriksson, Schaller, Bartkowski, SPooner

Green: Leipsic, Pouliot

Desjardins: Vey, Etem, Shinkaruk, Bachman, Larsen

To be fair, you gotta start somewhere. I mean, when I need help with something, the first thing I do is think about who I know that could help and if they can't, do they know someone who could?

Also, sure these players are plugs mostly but was their better alternatives available and willing?

Hindsight being 20/20 and all, just saying.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Fwd Lineup this year

Miller Pete Boeser

Bae Bo Pearson

Roussel Sutter Virt

Goldy Beagle Leivo

I'm ok w that 

Roussell is out until Christmas time, he will miss half a season to start.  Motte will slot in on our third or fourth line.  

Even though Leivo is a righty, he's listed as a LW.  Goldy will be fighting for a spot against Adam Gaudette and Tim Schaller.  I think that Jim Benning will pick up one more forward this off-season, so two out of those three guys may start the year in Utica. 

Can't wait to see Miller with Petey and Brock.  Sven, Bo and Pearson will be a strong second line that will be able to matchup against almost anyone.  

After Christmas we will get a boost from Oli Juolevi and Roussell coming in.  Can't wait for the season to start! 

1 minute ago, hammertime said:

Did you not see the 3rd?

Goldobin isn’t a bottom 6 player. He needs top 6 line mates and top 6 ice time to flourish or else he is basically redundant out there. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Pickly said:

Goldobin isn’t a bottom 6 player. He needs top 6 line mates and top 6 ice time to flourish or else he is basically redundant out there. 

I respectfully disagree I think he can be effective in a sheltered 2ndary scoring role and special teams

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, hammertime said:

I respectfully disagree I think he can be effective in a sheltered 2ndary scoring role and special teams

And I’d rather have a bulldog in Tyler Motte  who is one of the teams best forecheckers playing on the 4th line than a soft perimeter player. We can agree to disagree  on this one. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I also think that by playing in a checking role it will force him to pay attention to the defensive side of the game which will make him a more effective player in the future.

Edited by RWMc1

28 minutes ago, stawns said:

They may move AG to the wing, but I think he should be in Utica, developing his game as a C.

He was actually dominating at the AHL level.   Gaudette is an NHL player now.  Although he is still developing into the player he will become.  He can develop on the wing in the NHL while Sutter holds his future 3rd line centre role.  I’m pretty sure he’s not going back to Utica.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I think one possibility could be that - if he earns a spot/is ready - he could apprentice on Sutter's wing on the shutdown line - particularly if Virtanen is the guy that emerges on the Pearson Horvat right wing.

I think the Sutter line may be slightly  more effective with Virtanen (or someone else a bit more seasoned than Gaudette) - but developing Gaudette at the NHL level with a couple very good shutdown veterans (Roussel Sutter) - could be a very good spot for him - and where he might give up a bit in experience in the beginning, at the same time Gaudette is talented, a scoring threat, who moves well and really showed signs of an NHL game last year - so he could also provide some counterpunching scoring threat on that line, and that imo can help the effectiveness of a shutdown line. 

One of the things that is so valuable imo about Sutter's line is their ability to counterpunch - we saw it with Dorsett Sutter when they were healthy together - not only were they highly effective in ending opponent possession/generating territory, but they were giving some top lines fits at the same time trying to defend them.   Roussel Sutter isn't really that different - when they have possession, some of the more one-way top 6 lines in the NHL have a real difficulty containing them when they don't have the puck/are trying to defend against the Sutter line's offensive transition/counterpunch game - and that also spells poor 'possession' and scoring results for opponent top lines when they are chasing the game without possession.  Few things 'break' and opponent more than having their top lines scored against by opponent's bottom six.   We've seen that with the Canucks - when healthy - the past few years (and they have gotten their share of positive results/wins when that is the case).  For me, a signature instance of this was the Dorset-Sutter domination of Edmonton early a few seasons ago - and it seemed to literally break Edmonton's pipe-dreams out of the gate.   You also see it in the playoffs - teams like Boston - their bottom six (guys like Kuraly/Acciari were killing opponents in the playoffs - high dzone starts, great 'possession' numbers in context, and even more importantly, great on ice goal metrics / goal differentials - while facing opponent's scoring lines.  Beagle provided the same in Washington - the kind of players you win with in your bottom six - and it translates into the playoffs.

I don't disagree on Gaudette, but I'd rather see him developed as a C because it places more value on him if he becomes a trade chip at some point.  That said, I love his game and wouldn't be upset in Van come October.

A lot of teams would kill to be in a position to have resolved their cap with a mere Spooner buyout.

The Canucks did so while also shouldering the crap recrap bullcrap.

They are under no pressure to move anyone else - can sign Boeser, Motte, Leivo, Goldobin.

17.6 million to do so.  Potentially 18.6 if they waive Schaller.

Take worst case scenarios

7 million for both Boeser and Myers.

4.6 remains enough to comfortably sign Motte, Leivo, and Goldy imo.

Additionally, the present cap calculation (17.6) includes players like Gaudette (916k), Sautner and Brisebois (another 1.37 million) - all of whom are waiver ineligible and likely to start the season in Utica.  So that represents another 2.25ish million which they can effectively utilize to sign another veteral LHD - or acquire one (in which case they may have a contract and cap heading out in the process).

In other words they still have a fair amount of flexibility - and that's assuming they spend to the higher range on Myers.

I think they're likely looking at the very least in the range of 3 million surplus after the Myers, Boeser, Leivo, Motte, Goldy signings, possibly more - in other words ample cap with which to go into the market rather aggressively for a 3rd pairing LHD.

If they move a Baertschi or LE - their cap flexibility becomes a relative luxury.

Edited by oldnews
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

purely a cash flow move. We save 2 mil this year but costs us 1 mil next year but we have more cap space open next year. 

Which means, Hello Mr. Myers. 

More like, Hello Mr. Nyquist.  Was figuring they'd send him to Utica as he's been a near PPG player in the AHL.  But perhaps they really need that capspace now instead of riding him out and having him help the Comets, as he can also play C.  Evidently there was no market for him, same as Hutton.  Oh well, just the way it goes, gotta move on.

Essentially we have two years in which to play, then we may need to clear things out with Petey and Hughes up.  That being said, we could potentially bridge them but best to maintain flexibility.  As of now, we have quite a bit coming off after those two years:

Edler ($6.0)

Sutter ($4.35)

Pearson ($3.7)

Baertschi ($3.37)

This is not including those that are off after this season -- Tanev, Stecher, Schaller, Jake, Marky.

Boeser should put us at about $10mil in capspace, add Myers for about $6 leaves us $4.  Should be close for Nyquist, but likely need another move or two.  Of course, if Loui is moved July 1st then there's no problem at all.  Hopefully this isn't a sign that they don't have a deal for him pending.

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I don't disagree on Gaudette, but I'd rather see him developed as a C because it places more value on him if he becomes a trade chip at some point.  That said, I love his game and wouldn't be upset in Van come October.

I think developing him as a winger in hard minutes at the NHL level could do as much for his development as an eventual center (on the more difficult aspects of the game) - so I don't see a necessary advantage to playing center in Utica, aside from taking draws in games - whereas playing/practicing with/watching/learning from Sutter and Beagle on a day to day basis, Horvat as well - could be pretty good development conditions for Gaudette, particularly if he takes a step forward this summer.  I think he'd still be able to return to center in due course and maybe even be more ready to do so (in the sense of playing without the puck/dealing with matchups. 

I would not 'plan' on that, but injuries could potentially force the issue - at this stage though, with a healthy roster, I think Gaudette is likely to be in Utica (the team imo has a pretty deep bottom six when healthy)

My only concern with him would be if he were put (prematurely?) in a postion to center a line in the NHL - in which case I think the team would need to be able to provide him with conditions to succeed - would they be able to do so without a Sutter line?   It's possible, but if that's the case, the team would have taken a good step forward this summer.

2 hours ago, Dannydog said:

Beagle has bypassed Sutter on the nucks . With Gaudette playing the way he did last year i think a healthy sutter is a good piece available to trade.

How high will his trade value be though? Injury-prone as of late and seems to have lost a step in his game. If a good trade is there you make it but I’m perfectly fine with keeping him so we have depth at the position. I think Petey’s numbers dipped without Sutter in the lineup. JT Miller can play 3C if injuries get bad but it’s not ideal we kind of need him in the top 6. Honestly I’d like to see Gaudette as a 3rd or 4th line winger next year, that way we will have a plethora of options and he could play 3C if Sutter stinks it up.