The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Buyout] Canucks buy out Ryan Spooner

4 minutes ago, mll said:

Depends who are his wingers.  If he ends up with either Goldobin or Baertschi on one of his wings that line is not going to be effective - neither a scoring line and neither a defensive line.  

I think his wingers will be Gaudette and Jake, but we shall see. 

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

he has one year of term that expires this (hockey) year  - the buyout cap is no savings for this year, and would merely extend unnecessary cap into next season.

there is no point buying out Schaller - it's actually a very bad idea.

Haha, I know  When I said expire, I meant expire, you know like not being around anymore...  ^_^

1 minute ago, stawns said:

If they're pushing for the playoffs, they need Sutter

and they need to trade Baertschi and Goldobin for true 3rd liners that can play hard defensive minutes.  There's no spot in the top-6 and they are not effective bottom-6 players.  Gaudette needs to be in the AHL to develop further.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, mll said:

and they need to trade Baertschi and Goldobin for true 3rd liners that can play hard defensive minutes.  There's no spot in the top-6 and they are not effective bottom-6 players.  Gaudette needs to be in the AHL to develop further.

You don't think the lw spot on bo's line is Bart's spot to lose?

1 minute ago, stawns said:

IMO, Gaudette isn't ready for regular NHL duty yet.......it's unfortunate they had so many injuries last year because a year of top 6 ice time and responsibilities in Utica would have been excellent for his development.

I don't know how ready Gaudette will be this coming fall - but regardless, being ready to step into NHL shutdown minutes like Sutter plays....virtually no young player, if any, is ready for that as a rookie.

Additionally, the problem with utilizing that line differently, if Gaudette were there for example, to play a more offensive/sheltered role - is that it leaves the Beagle line alone to enable both the EP - and Gaudette lines - and essentially draws Horvat's line into shutdown duty again. 

I don't think the team wants two lines to 'shelter'/provide ozone starts - while attempting to be competitive - it sends them back into the lottery dynamic - which I believe they are looking to move out of.

Sutter is either here - or he is dealt for a worthwhile return - and replaced in the lineup with a serviceable shutdown or two way center.  I'm not opposed necessarily to moving Sutter if the return is right - for example I'd move him to Colorado and throw in Goldobin if we could get a helluva young RHD prospect like Timmins and a young two way center like Kamenev in the process - but if they did that, I'd still be shopping for a Richardson type (low cost serviceable hard minutes center that can win faceoffs and keep a one-two punch with Beagle).

• Upvote 1

Such great news to wake up to. I’m honestly relieved by this move because this should definitely allow us to resign Motte now. I know that might sound like I’m being sarcastic, but that guy was an ideal fourth liner for us last year, and he definitely has a high “motor” which is the new hot word with the Canucks management/scouting departments lol. 

Having said that, I’m so glad that high motor players are the types of guys that we're targeting now. They’re the type of players that’ll really help us during the playoff grind. 

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Schaller next?

Actually, in his stint at the end of the season, Schaller had really good underlying numbers - far better than Motte. Beagle's numbers improved with him too. It was the only time off the year that our 4th line wasn't getting caved in.

I'm content to keep him, and give him another shot.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I don't know how ready Gaudette will be this coming fall - but regardless, being ready to step into NHL shutdown minutes like Sutter plays....virtually no young player, if any, is ready for that as a rookie.

Additionally, the problem with utilizing that line differently, if Gaudette were there for example, to play a more offensive/sheltered role - is that it leaves the Beagle line alone to enable both the EP - and Gaudette lines - and essentially draws Horvat's line into shutdown duty again. 

I don't think the team wants two lines to 'shelter'/provide ozone starts - while attempting to be competitive - it sends them back into the lottery dynamic - which I believe they are looking to move out of.

Sutter is either here - or he is dealt for a worthwhile return - and replaced in the lineup with a serviceable shutdown or two way center.  I'm not opposed necessarily to moving Sutter if the return is right - for example I'd move him to Colorado and throw in Goldobin if we could get a helluva young RHD prospect like Timmins and a young two way center like Kamenev in the process - but if they did that, I'd still be shopping for a Richardson type (low cost serviceable hard minutes center that can win faceoffs and keep a one-two punch with Beagle).

For me, it's strictly a health issue with Sutter, same as Tanev.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Actually, in his stint at the end of the season, Schaller had really good underlying numbers - far better than Motte. Beagle's numbers improved with him too. It was the only time off the year that our 4th line wasn't getting caved in.

I'm content to keep him, and give him another shot.

Schaller has to bring his greatest asset in physical play this upcoming season. Hopefully with the roster additions this enables Green to create lines and keep them together so that players can develop some chemistry. 

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, mll said:

?

No, they don't.   If they were to deal either or both of them they should target futures or RHD/prospects.

Roussel, Motte, Eriksson, Virtanen, Schaller, (Granlund) can and do all play hard minutes - effectively. MacEwen is also capable young hard minutes winger.

There is no need fo any additional 'hard minutes' forwards.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

For me, it's strictly a health issue with Sutter, same as Tanev.  

Yes - and if they are injured - then the team moves to plan B 'hard reduction' - but going into the season intending to roll without these types of players, while also not replacing them with players capable of at least placeholding their role - is not going to be the 'plan'.

1 minute ago, amplified0ne said:

probably money freed up to re-sign Motte and Leivo.  Think Schaller will be fine, not a fast skater but hopefully the first year was just adjusting to a new city, new team etc.  Contract year so maybe he performs closer to what he's making.

Motte?  Do we really need him?  No more than 1 million, so he can be a  Depth guy and go to Utica and costs nothing against our cap. 

Canucks should know by now throwing life lines to former players is not working...nepotism is so real with this management/coaching staff 

Benning: Eriksson, Schaller, Bartkowski, SPooner

Green: Leipsic, Pouliot

Desjardins: Vey, Etem, Shinkaruk, Bachman, Larsen

• Like 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Motte?  Do we really need him?  No more than 1 million, so he can be a  Depth guy and go to Utica and costs nothing against our cap. 

I like Motte too. Great on the pk and awesome energy guy. Not a main priority obvs, but I definitely resign him. 

• Like 1

Well I have to say I'm a little perplexed by this. The numbers made it look buyout proof...

If he was buried in Utica we  would have paid 2.025 mil in cap. (3.1 minus the $1,075,000 exemption)

In buying him out out we pay 1.03 in cap over 2 years. So in effect we only save 1 mil in cap space buying him out and have to pay that the next season. I would have rather had a player on reserve in the AHL that put up 49, 39 and 41 NHL points in the previous 3 seasons before last.

Not a move I would do but JB must have a few moves mapped out here.

18 minutes ago, stawns said:

You don't think the lw spot on bo's line is Bart's spot to lose?

It's Pearson's spot.

I also don't think that they are particularly effective together.  There's no natural chemistry.  Baertschi is a give and go player that likes to score from the slot.  He likes to move in as the puck moves in.  Horvat is not that kind of player.  Green doesn't play them together all that much either.  It feels like he doesn't quite know where to fit Baertschi.   

9 minutes ago, oldnews said:

?

No, they don't.   If they were to deal either or both of them they should target futures or RHD/prospects.

Roussel, Motte, Eriksson, Virtanen, Schaller, (Granlund) can and do all play hard minutes - effectively. MacEwen is also capable young hard minutes winger.

There is no need fo any additional 'hard minutes' forwards.

Sure - Ds would make sense.  They should still be traded though.  There's no spot in the top-6 and they are not effective bottom-6 players.

Edited by mll
  • Upvote 1