The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[POLL] How did management do at UFA?

Rate this topic

koregen

How did management do at UFA?  

328 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

TSN will have everyone believe the Leafs have made great upgrades and that they are now ready to compete for a Cup. But what they won't talk about is how much grit they lost in Kadri, Gardiner, etc. The Leafs D may have improved on paper, but they will be a softer team than last year. Soft teams don't fare well in the playoffs.

The Canucks, meanwhile, have added a 6'8" right shot Dman, and have also improved their D. But they've also added a gritty bull in J.T. Miller, and have real good support players (Pearson, Leivo, Virtanen, Gaudette, Beagle and Roussel) already in place. The Canucks are now built for the playoffs and will be a tougher team to play against.  I'd love to hear TSN talk about that.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, appleboy said:

Give me names of players who were reclamation projects who went on to being key caponants 

Off top of my head.... 

-Marty St Louis

- Karl Hagelin

- Brett Hull

- Ryan McDonagh 

- Patrick Sharp

- Justin Williams

- Ben Bishop

- Tuukka Rask

- Alexander Steen

- etc. etc. etc.

Not all won Cups but many did and there are many similar examples through time in the NHL...and there will be in the future...and the team you seem to have disdain for (Canucks) may be one of those teams.....try optimism!  :)

PS - caponents?

Only concern I've got is that our team looks brilliant now but we've only got 7M to sign Boeser, Leivo and Goldobin. I'm assuming Leivo and Goldy will cost us a combined 3-4M, leaving not much for Boeser unless we make a move.

Sutter and Tanev are the obvious guys to shift maybe for a prospect or pick but that'll really thin out two very important areas we've worked so hard to flesh out - center and RD depth. That Luongo 3M is really costing us now, I just hope JB can wiggle it without costing us a decent player.

5 hours ago, Bertuzzi44ever said:

I agree with your line of thinking but while milller is fine Myers is not even great and way overpaid. He will make gudbranson at four look good even though at his size he’s way less physical then guddy which sucks. He makes tons of mistake but he also makes good plays,

Myers is going to get hard assignments in this team and honestly fans are not going to like his play after a few months. People can quote me, bump this do whatever I watched him in Kelowna and buffalo when he was unreal then in his second year went to hell he was okay on the jets because they’re are the jets and he didn’t have to do a ton, which he will here. Hope I’m wrong but doubt it.

Agreed on JB. I think he’s trying to  save his skin which is why he doesent care about future picks at this point. Not saying your saying thaT, I am.

As you can see I am first and foremost about drafting and developing our own talent. I do however think that there is a time for adding or filling holes with UFA signings. The key is to make sure the salary structure does not destroy you in the future. As we can see with the Canucks right now you can't just assume that you will find a way out of cap purgatory when you need to. The way LE has his contract structured also makes him impossible to buy out or trade. Something management would be wise to avoid in the future.

As far as Myers I think we should give him the benefit of the doubt.  He will get picked apart soon enough.  How he is deployed is up to Green. 

If they move Tanev I would like to see them find another defensive D man.

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

That Luongo 3M is really costing us now, I just hope JB can wiggle it without costing us a decent player.

Plus LE's contract

Sutter is over paid.

Beagle was given too much money plus term. So was Rousell.

Look at what they paid Benn. Two mil for two years and got a solid D man.

Jim has made some mistakes and he is currently paying for it. The team will pay for it.

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Only concern I've got is that our team looks brilliant now but we've only got 7M to sign Boeser, Leivo and Goldobin. I'm assuming Leivo and Goldy will cost us a combined 3-4M, leaving not much for Boeser unless we make a move.

Sutter and Tanev are the obvious guys to shift maybe for a prospect or pick but that'll really thin out two very important areas we've worked so hard to flesh out - center and RD depth. That Luongo 3M is really costing us now, I just hope JB can wiggle it without costing us a decent player.

Your look at the cap space available is flawed. This was well laid out on the cap space thread. There is room to sign Brock,Leivo and Goldy. 

3 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Off top of my head.... 

-Marty St Louis

- Karl Hagelin

- Brett Hull

- Ryan McDonagh 

- Patrick Sharp

- Justin Williams

- Ben Bishop

- Tuukka Rask

- Alexander Steen

- etc. etc. etc.

Not all won Cups but many did and there are many similar examples through time in the NHL...and there will be in the future...and the team you seem to have disdain for (Canucks) may be one of those teams.....try optimism!  :)

PS - caponents?

I am very optimistic that drafting is the way to build a team and should have been their priority.  :gocan:

Jim waisted picks.

1 minute ago, appleboy said:

I am very optimistic that drafting is the way to build a team and should have been their priority.  :gocan:

Jim waisted picks.

As long as he is “wasting “them on guys like JTM I’m all for it. :towel:

• Cheers 2

On 7/2/2019 at 10:07 AM, Jimmy McGill said:

great for Aho. So's Petey. We need Bo. 

No we don't, not if we had Aho. You are overvaluing Bo. The only thing he does better than Aho is faceoffs. You are just proving how little you know about Aho.

• Wat 1

Surprised on the results of this poll. I would have assumed there would be a lot more of an negative and average grading to his UFA signings.  Benn was a great addition but Myers is very questionable.  To pay 6m to a guy that has trouble playing defense I would have though would have raised more eyebrows but it seems that most are happy about it. Sure it's possible he could have gotten more somewhere else but that doesn't change that you still have 6m tied up in him.  Ask any Jets fan and they'd rather have Chariot at 3.5m than Myers at 6m. 

7 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

TSN will have everyone believe the Leafs have made great upgrades and that they are now ready to compete for a Cup. But what they won't talk about is how much grit they lost in Kadri, Gardiner, etc. The Leafs D may have improved on paper, but they will be a softer team than last year. Soft teams don't fare well in the playoffs.

The Canucks, meanwhile, have added a 6'8" right shot Dman, and have also improved their D. But they've also added a gritty bull in J.T. Miller, and have real good support players (Pearson, Leivo, Virtanen, Gaudette, Beagle and Roussel) already in place. The Canucks are now built for the playoffs and will be a tougher team to play against.  I'd love to hear TSN talk about that.

Exactly. They will have a 100 point regular season and TSN go on about the Raptors and Leafs being Champions at the same time. And the Laffs will blow in the first round again.

On 7/2/2019 at 9:40 PM, Canucklehead53 said:

What is shocking me is the media (even though it shouldn't)...grading Canadian teams thus far in the off season. Toronto gets and A mean while the Canucks were given a B- by these so called experts !?!?

I read the same - that the Leafs were one of the big winners in free agency - because they signed Spezza.

Spezza, Gravel and Agostino = 'big winners' in free agency.:bigblush:

Gotta hand it to that Toronto media - they know their job description.....

Image result for leaf blowers

I have to wonder - if they missed out on Tavares last year, and managed only Tyler Ennis (a Spezza comparable wadr to Spezza) - would they still have been 'big winners'? 

Oh yeah!

image.jpeg.d912aff3407db8e25f51ec019a876932.jpeg
Edited by oldnews
  • Haha 1

On 7/4/2019 at 9:19 AM, NUCKER67 said:

Something not being talked about much is the depth of the roster with the added size.   This team could very well surprise everyone with not only a playoff appearance but do some damage as well.

One major thing Benning has done with his free agent signings is he has removed any doubt any of the players may have had about being able to make the playoffs.

They no longer need to just believe blindly but now have a reason to believe.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, oldnews said:

I read the same - that the Leafs were one of the big winners in free agency - because they signed Spezza.

Spezza, Gravel and Agostino = 'big winners' in free agency.:bigblush:

Gotta hand it to that Toronto media - they know their job description.....

Image result for leaf blowers

I have to wonder - if they missed out on Tavares last year, and managed only Tyler Ennis (a Spezza comparable wadr to Spezza) - would they still have been 'big winners'? 

Oh yeah!

image.jpeg.d912aff3407db8e25f51ec019a876932.jpeg

This post just made my morning. I can't believe how much of the media drinks the koolaid and then bashes Vancouver 

• Cheers 1