The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Micheal Ferland

13 minutes ago, gerry35 said:

I was going to say something similar to this, Lou and Hunter would have built a much better team but they chose wrong in Dubas and Shanahan and his "genius" plan

Harry Potter and Dumbledorf, The Road to Genius . ;) 

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

The next best puck mover in the org is likely OJ.  

Agreed, we don't need another Quinn Hughes, we have Quinn Hughes.  

I agree - and even without him / until he is ready - they have the makings of a blueline that can relatively contribute some production from the blueline with the players they have at this stage..  I too am pretty optimistic about OJ - as well as Woo - as well as the prospect of Tryamkin returning.    I also lke the 'secondary' group of Sautner, Brisebois....Utunen, Rathbone.  They aren't necessarily going to need to overhaul their blueline in the future - they will need a young player here and there to step up - which I think they can reasonably expect to come out of that group.  That is what will enable them to moderate cap expenditures to rising core players - if they can maintain a stream (they don't need 'stockpiles' - they need consistency/stability).   There was some concern that they focused on forward skill in this draft - not many BPA D opportunities, but they had focused there in a few previous drafts, and will be fine if they rebalance in the future imo.

Edited by oldnews

5 minutes ago, gerry35 said:

I agree on all counts.

Dubas and the Leafs will probably look quite bad if they trade Nylander. I know they haven't really promised not to, but the (smart) comments by Nylander will make a lot of people think twice about dealing with the Leafs in the future if he's traded.

https://www.tsn.ca/dubas-to-nylander-as-long-as-i-m-here-you-won-t-be-traded-1.1220400

Just now, J-P said:

Dubas and the Leafs will probably look quite bad if they trade Nylander. I know they haven't really promised not to, but the (smart) comments by Nylander will make a lot of people think twice about dealing with the Leafs in the future if he's traded.

https://www.tsn.ca/dubas-to-nylander-as-long-as-i-m-here-you-won-t-be-traded-1.1220400

Sweet, they can continue flaming out in the playoffs then which is priceless lol

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Leafs fans crying in the workplace. Why am I not surprised at all?

I really wasn't sure how to react.  It was - really disturbing to see on a number of levels.  A real meltdown.  A good person.  But do you comfort an adult (and I don't mean 20 something - this is a 40+ yr old I'm talking about) - for crying over hockey?  I could not - enable - that.  Or do you slap them and tell them to pull themselves together and gain some perspective - it's a fn hockey game.  Again, not my place to 'judge' and not my place to intervene where I don't have answers - but that's how deep some of their disappointment and frustration runs.

There is no enjoyment / schadenfreude in that.  I enjoy some good online trash talk and it's our birthright here to taunt, poke, whatever the Leafs - particularly when their heads inflate so prematurely - but on a certain level, I actually want to see them get better  - get it right - 'play the right way' - of course , after they've 'built the right way'.    Still see no real evidence of that - and I'd say the same thing if there were a Dubas managing the Canucks. 

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 1

Just now, vinny_in_vancouver said:

I'm very far from being a Leafs fan, but don't put any money on that bet. The numbers he put up the seasons prior to that contract are pretty good.

But 7 mil per? For a complementary largely perimeter player who disappears when the heat is on? What teams besides the leafs would consider that a core piece to pay a premium contract to?

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Silver Ghost said:

But 7 mil per? For a complementary largely perimeter player who disappears when the heat is on? What teams besides the leafs would consider that a core piece to pay a premium contract to?

Image result for oilers lottery champions

?  maybe the Coil?
  • Haha 3

Point taken lol

just trying to find a market for Nylander.

Edmonon - unbelievable - with a one-two punch like McDavid and Draisaitl (221 pts - add RNH with 69 if you will)  - 'can't find' winger scoring

Chiasson lead the rest - with 38pts.

Kassian was their 5th leading forward scorer (14 minutes, 48% ozone starts, no powerplay ice-time....)

How do you possibly achieve that?

They've drafted Yakupov 1st overall,  Puljujaarvi 4th, Yamamoto, Benson, 6 million to Lucic - and they can't find a top 6 winger - not even in free agency, with McDavid linemate minutes to dangle.    That takes talent.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Edmonon - unbelievable - with a one-two punch like McDavid and Draisaitl (221 pts - add RNH with 69 if you will)  - 'can't find' winger scoring

Kassian was their 5th leading forward scorer (14 minutes, 48% ozone starts, no powerplay ice-time....)

They've drafted Yakupov 1st overall,  Puljujaarvi 4th, Yamamoto, Benson, 6 million to Lucic - and they can't find a top 6 winger - not even in free agency, with McDavid linemate minutes to dangle.    That takes talent.

I mean, it is Edmonton. So having to live there all winter drives many away lol.

But it is hard to look at the Oilers the last decade or more and wonder how they "accomplished" this level of dumpster fire without actually consciously trying to. 

I may be crazy but I feel that the hiring of Tippett as coach may have given some decent offensive UFA options a reason to pause on signing there.

Edited by Silver Ghost

3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

... or a dead city...

I mean, it is Edmonton. So having to live there all winter drives many away lol.

But it is hard to look at the Oilers the last decade or more and wonder how they "accomplished" this level of dumpster fire without actually consciously trying to. 

I blame Southern expansion and warm weather ice tech.

5 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Nylander might actually be a good fit intheir top 6.

Oh, nvm, Chiarelli &^@#ed their cap situation.

1 hour ago, Phat Fingers said:

The next best puck mover in the org is likely OJ.  

Agreed, we don't need another Quinn Hughes, we have Quinn Hughes.  

We have some pretty nice pieces coming.  Woo looks like a gamer, mobile with size, toughness, and a good shot.  Rathbone is a fantastic skater with a big shot, and is showing to be physical as well.  Add Tryamkin (or not) to that mix and in 2-3 years we may have an outstanding D corps.

Hughes - Woo

Juolevi - Tryamkin

Rathbone - Myers/Stecher/Fantenberg

Puck-movers, skaters, shooters, shut-down, and size/toughness in every pairing.  Plus the fill-ins and yet unknowns in Rafferty, Teves, Sautner, Brisebois, Utanen, Elliot, Chatfield, etc.  A good number may never make it, but it helps explain the lack of dmen taken in this past draft.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Silver Ghost said:

Nylander might actually be a good fit intheir top 6.

Oh, nvm, Chiarelli &^@#ed their cap situation.

they have 3.4 million cap space with no one to sign (JP is on the out).

They could conceivably take some Nylander cap.

The problem being - what Toronto needs - Edmonton can't afford to give up.

Ie Larsson =  what the Leafs need.  A Larsson type take - for Nylander - epic gain for the Fleas imo.

But is Edmonton stupid enough to folllow their nose and revert to the mere shiny forward model?  I doubt it.

Interesting that Carolina managed to extract a 1st out of Toronto in the Marleau dump, while Toronto was unable for get a D out of Carolina in the process.

Ie requiring that deal expand to include a Nylander/D type swap? 

The Leafs just seem to deadset intent on keeping all their AM, MM, WNs.  They shoulda dealt one long ago - and they still should.  If they can't get a D for Nylander, trade Matthews and get out ahead of something for once.

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

The Leafs just seem to deadset intent on keeping all their AM, MM, WNs.  They shoulda dealt one long ago - and they still should.  If they can't get a D for Nylander, trade Matthews and get out ahead of something for once.

Their latest moves testify they are doubling down.  They are prepared to live or die with the skill-alone model.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1